Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

AOTY:

Babylon
A bit of a guilty pick. The show starts of with some slick as hell directing and a mundane but intriguing plot and then just gets crazier and crazier until the finale ends with the MC shooting the US President on the roof of the White House followed by a Suicide Witch murdering him with a finger gun and then stealing his son just to poo poo on his memory some more. If you accept the show as it is you'll get a super enjoyable ride for pretty much the whole way through. No matter what you can expect a strong reaction to this.

Dorohedoro
My god what a crazy loving show. It hosts one of the most unique, charming AND disturbing settings of any anime with characters populating it that are equally as unique, charming and disturbing. It's gory as gently caress but it's still got a really upbeat and fun energy to it that's really enjoyable. The mystery aspect is intriguing as hell (haha) and the way the series is constantly giving you more information about the world means its never dull. The 3d animation blending with scenes of 2d is a success I'd say. Highly recommend, there really isn't anything else like it.

Eizouken
If I had to pick the true AOTY it would definitely be Eizouken, no hesitation. Seriously, this is an instant classic for sure. The characters are all amazing and there is so much personality put into every moment of the show that just makes you fall in love with it. You could consider it almost a companion piece to Shirobako. Whereas that show is more of a showcase for the production of anime, this series is more interested in the creative process but still has a lot of love thrown towards the production due to Best Girl Kanamori. Anyone with any interest in the creative process should be watching this if they haven't.

ID:Invaded
Another really unique and interesting show that shows you something you can't really get anywhere else. It's also not afraid of getting downright brutal and grim which is refreshing considering it's a show about catching serial killers by jumping into the subconscious minds. The overall mystery ends up being pretty easy to solve. The final killer is exactly who you think it is the second they appear on screen.. But the show is so much more than that so it's not a big deal. I was fascinated by the show the entire time. 10/10 holes, would drill again.

Kaguya-sama: Season 2
Somehow a step up from the first season, which by itself indicates how freaking good this series is. The cast is great, the jokes are funny as gently caress and the emotional moments really land. Not much to say, if you liked the first season it's that, but better.

Honorable mentions:

Deca-Dence
Basically a Trigger show made by a different studio. It was good for what it was but its lower ambitions meant it had less of an impact than some others. Also it's a bit too in love with the main male character.

My Hero Academia S4
The season covered some stuff I really loved and some that I was eh on. It loses a lot of points because of how bad the animation was at times, which was almost certainly because they were working on the movie at the same time. But the material was still strong, just not nearly as good as I'd hoped they could get it.

My Next Life as a Villainess
It started out as very funny and charming while having some genuinely heartwarming moments but kind of petered out in the last few episodes.

Magatsu Wahrheit: Zuerst
I haven't finished it yet but I'm a sucker for these kinds of grounded fantasy stories. The MC is surprisingly cool and the setting is neat, I'd recommend it to fans of dark fantasy.

Moriarty the Patriot
Very indulgent but it's got great directing and the characters are quite pretty. It's only halfway through so hopefully it picks up a bit. Don't expect a mystery show, its just a show to watch pretty anime boys be smug while rich assholes get horribly murdered. So that's nice.

Sleepy Princess
A very fun and comfy show. It's not going to blow your socks off or make you wheeze with laughter but I'm smiling all the time when watching and that's all I wanted.

The Journey of Elaina
I like it. I know not everyone is a fan but it's definitely made me think about how I'd react to the situations it presents. I haven't finished it yet but I'm a fan of morality plays, especially when there's a twist to it like there is here. It gets lowered points because apparently the manga has additional stuff that added character to Elaina.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU