Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Top 5 Anime:

1) Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken - Its qualities are obvious. Yuasa is the master and even though I'm so very tired of anime that gets meta about anime, he's able to deliver a refreshing take.
2) Ongaku - Our Sound - I try to watch as many contemporary anime films as possible and this has been one of the fresher films I've seen in awhile, not just because it's produced by people who are complete outsiders to the anime industry (but obviously that's a big factor!) but it also avoids many of the rote trappings of most music anime.
3) Major 2nd Season 2 - I love Major, and its Boruto-esque sequel series continues to stay strong in its second season by delivering the best supporting cast the series has had. It's the first season where there's actually a reason to give a drat about the whole cast instead of half the team being one-note jokes.
4) Japan Sinks - Never thought I'd see the day when a Yuasa anime wouldn't get a thread around here. What the heck!
5) A Whisker Away - I've seen my fair share of really dumb & demeaning anime movies for kids, so it was quite nice to see a movie for kids with a Mari Okada script that doesn't talk down to its audience.

Honorable mentions: Top 5 movies of 2019 that weren't readily available in English until 2020:

1) Ride Your Wave - That I missed out on seeing a Yuasa movie on the big screen will forever be a huge regret for me.
2) Her Blue Sky - Mari Okada can keep writing movies about characters that have troubled, complicated relationships with the maternal figure in their life, and I'll keep watching and loving them.
3) My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising - A great execution of the standard shonen jump movie formula.
4) Weathering With You - I think I prefer the sloppier take on the usual Shinkai formula over the clean take?
5) Lupin: The First - It's a pretty standard Lupin outing but the legitimately impressive CG animation gives a lot of life to what could have been yet another forgettable Lupin movie.

Other honorable mentions, ongoing stuff, etc:

1) Ace of the Diamond Act II - I didn't get the chance to watch as much of it as I would have liked, but its quality seemed in line with the original series. It's a consistently solid show and I am looking forward to the day when I have the free time to sit down and binge the rest of it.
2) Higurashi: When They Cry - NEW - I never got around to the original Higurashi anime despite knowing a bunch of people who were very much into it back when it originally aired. And I know that for me personally the VN would be a certified bad time, so I'm glad of this new anime for finally catching my eye and getting me interested in the series.
3) Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai - Dragon Quest rules.

Srice fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU