Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
5. Wave, Listen to me! for just plain being refreshing for a cast of characters in their mid-20's and older getting by day-to-day, as well as the weirdness that comes from late-night talk radio.

4. Appare-Ranman! is a great romp through the USA in the early 20th century about a Samurai and his charge racing against cowboys. It also has an absolutely despicable villain you'll love to hate.

3. Great Pretender for its gorgeous art style and caper heists,

2. Sleepy Princess for just bein a real sleeper hit (:v:) of a comedy.

1. Akudama Drive is my AOTY though. It's really hard to lead strong, go strong, and end strong, but Akudama Drive knows exactly what kind of show it wants to be and delivers from start to finish. This one's definitely going in my Blu-Ray collection when it gets released, and I'll probably grab the limited/collector's edition if one gets made.

Honorable Mentions:

• Infinite Dendrogram - A pretty basic VRMMO stealth-isekai story, but has solid worldbuilding and grounds its combat with a fixed set of rules that even the villains have to abide by because they're just players too.
  • Interspecies Reviewers gets a mention just because it managed to surprisingly deliver a relatively-mature and respectful comedy about sex and sexual acts rather than just aiming straight for creepy antics like some do. It still does some dumb poo poo at times, but on the whole, it's surprisingly decent. Also really funny remembering Funimation planned to dub it not knowing just how sexual it gets.
  • Uzaki-Chan Wants to Hang Out is a real strong contender, and a fun slice-of-life piece of normality in the hellyear that is 2020, but Sleepy Princess pushed it out of the running for my selection by being a stronger comedy.
  • Kaguya-Sama: Season 2 continues to deliver on all fronts of its romantic war, and now has a frankly-fantastic english dub. (Also just barely edged out for me by Sleepy Princess).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Terrible Opinions posted:

I'm just making fun of MAL scores. Wandering Witch seems to be just as popular as its art quality and character designs would guarantee without any real huge immediate deal breakers. It is very funny that people on SA kept getting re-offended that an anthology show centered around a third act narrative reveals had twists.

It's not the stories that are the problem, it's that Elaina doesn't engage with them beyond little more than "huh, neat" or "well that happened, next place! :yayclod:"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nanigans posted:

I really don’t understand the love for Akudama Drive. I binged it on this thread’s constant recommendation and it was...fun? Looked pretty cool? But so hilariously edgy and generic with absolutely nothing new to say.

:shrug: idgi

It knows exactly what kind of show it wants to be and never tries to go outside its lane while telling a full and complete story, with an internally-consistent setting, from start to finish. That's a rare thing nowadays, sadly.

Sometimes fun and looking cool is enough.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Terrible Opinions posted:

Another big one though spoilers for those who haven't seen it. It becomes very clear fairly early on that nobody is making it out of this job alive, and how each character chooses to meet their inevitable death does say something

I wouldn't say all that early on. The show sets up to it look like it'll just be a straight rollercoaster of cool crime antics, but the moment Brawler falls around the halfway mark the writing is definitely on the wall that nobody is coming out of this show alive.

The reason Akudama Drive is such a strong AOTY contender is also that while other shows might do various individual elements better, none of them checked all the boxes simultaneously like Akudama Drive did.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 12, 2021