Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Voting closes at 23:59 on Sunday, January 10 PST.

This year, I'm streamlining the voting process with a Google form to make counting the votes easier.

Vote here for your 5 best anime of the year: https://forms.gle/G4HDFPrvr8tprmQv8
Plain text list of qualifying anime: https://pastebin.com/Ahvgzksq

You can also shout out honorable mentions, and voted by rank, but these are optional. Please don't double vote for something or else I might have to throw out your vote!

As always, please post in the thread to give your reasons for your choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
5. The Case Files of Jeweler Richard

The early episodes can be rather rote, and the writing gets somewhat overly "woke liberal" at times, but I can't deny it's cool to hear the characters discuss a civil partnership like it's a totally normal thing. And I do like how the resolution to the abusive dad trying to reconnect with his son is resolved by telling him to gently caress off forever.

4. The Millionaire Detective – Balance: UNLIMITED

I'm a big sucker for the buddy cop dynamic, so something with slick production values and a very cool OP/ED on top of it is just very nice comfort food.

3. Hypnosis Mic: Division Rap Battle - Rhyme Anima

I did like the early episodic eps where the characters mostly just hosed around more (shout out the to attempted murder framing ep in particular), but this show never stops being over the top ridiculous. The localization is especially fantastic and helps to really sell the show. I have to give big props to Kodansha for paying special attention to the rap lyrics and making them flow in English complete with rhymes.

2. Ace of the Diamond: Act II

I started watching the first Ace of the Diamond series in 2017, where I watched a total of 126 episodes in a span of three weeks. Act II is still eminently bingeable, and I found the whole thing woefully short after getting 52 eps done in a week. What really sets Ace of the Diamond apart from other series is its commitment to the progression of time, because it doesn't set off to end the story in one year, so the protagonists are allowed to fail and lose even the last major tournaments of the years. And the seniors will stop playing with the team after the summer and actually graduate. Unlike with say Major however, we get a good look at every step along the way of our freshman protagonist's high school baseball arc and thus we get the slow satisfaction of watching growth over time. Act II centers around his second year with the team, and it's great seeing how far he's come compared to the early beginnings of the series, with new first-years that see him as a mentor figure, and his teammates and the team's longtime fans treating him as a reliable player who can save the day when needed.

1. IDOLiSH7: Second Beat!

After season 2, I can say with confidence that IDOLiSH7 is straight my favorite anime ever. But this is a terrible burden, because the subject matter of male idols makes it nearly impossible to convince anyone else to give it a chance. I will try my best here though.

Admittedly, I went into this season not remembering too much about the first, but I had just seen the vibrato ONAs just before it, and the one two punch of the excellent terrorist bomb plot comedy and heartwarming day off bonding eps really set my expectations high for season 2, and it turned out even better than I had hoped. The drama in IDOLiSH7 is great, building from both external and internal pressures. On one hand, you've got very compelling intrigue from things like this Hubert von Vestra looking fucker voiced by Kenjiro Tsuda implied to sabotaging and murking dudes from other music acts in order to fulfill his grand artistic vision (and we even see some bits of the bloody "accidents" on stage that he may or may not be responsible for).

And on the other, you have a lot of grounded, very personal dilemmas, like one instance where one of the guys in IDOLiSH7 is feeling really great about his work performance after getting enthusiastic feedback from the tv studio host he’s working with. But he so happens to overhear some fans of their group comment on how they find him annoying and feel like he makes the group worse off, and it absolutely wrecks him. And of course he tries to hide it, but his friends in the group notice and help him realize he should be working towards getting to like himself and gaining fans that way instead of contorting to every negative comment he hears.

Not only that, the humor in the show is fantastic, with great comic timing and woven into the story to help ease tension without undermining the drama. There's one cliffhanger where it looks one of the main idols might actually be secretly poisoning another idol this whole time, which is honestly completely believable in the setting of the show (and made me go "what the gently caress" out loud). But the de-escalation in the following ep is very natural and does a fantastic job of relieving the tension of an episodes-long arc of singing yips induced by lingering self doubt segueing into a heartwarming resolution. I love this cast. I love how much they all care so much about each other. And it's probably a good thing they never localized the phone game because I'd be coaxed out of a lot more money very easily.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
A reminder to everyone in the thread that you must vote in the form linked in the OP if you want your vote to be counted. Don't make things hard on me.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's a week left before voting closes! So far, we have 71 votes as well as several votes not getting counted from people who did not read instructions, and here's the current standings for everything with 10 or more votes:

1. Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! (37)
  2. Akudama Drive (25)
  3. Kaguya-sama S2 (24)
  4. Dorohedoro (23)
  5. Re:Zero S2 (14)
  6. Bofuri (11)
  7. Deca-Dence (11)
  8. Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle (10)

Check the raw votes snapshot here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AqEoMFzJjX3y5PycPLH2B8D0iivEWf_tE9ibT764jQw/edit?usp=sharing

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Elaina has competent animation and a few decent jokes, which is probably enough for most people. It seems pretty well received everywhere else on the internet. SA sticks out as the sole outlier.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Silver2195 posted:

Was it? I saw an interview with the LN author on ANN that made clear that, at the very least, the complaints about Elaina being a moral coward aren't exclusive to SA.

7.60 average on MAL is a high score. 🤷‍♀️

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
There’s a lot of sub 7 averages on MAL, and the gap is more important than the absolute scale.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

poo poo, how did I miss oshibudo??? can the vote be updated?

I think I set up the form to have editable responses, but if that's not possible, you can always submit another vote and tell me to delete the old one.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The poll is now closed! After 85 responses, the top ten standings by total votes are:

1. Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! | Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! (43)
  2. Akudama Drive (31)
  3. Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen | Kaguya-sama: Love is War Season 2 (30)
  4. Dorohedoro (29)
  5. Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season | Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Season 2 (15)
  6. Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. | BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense. (15)
  7. Deca-Dence (14)
  8. Maoujou de Oyasumi | Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle (12)
  9. Chihayafuru 3 (11)
  10. Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika Nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei shiteshimatta... | My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! (10)

The top ten list also happens to be the only anime with at least ten votes total. Not much change from the halfway update. Eizouken has the clear lead in first, while Akudama Drive, Kaguya S2, and Dorohedoro are fairly interchangeable (though Dorohedoro has the advantage in first ranked votes among them) before the sharp drop off in votes for fifth place and below.

Want to do anything more involved with the data? Check out the full results here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AqEoMFzJjX3y5PycPLH2B8D0iivEWf_tE9ibT764jQw/edit?usp=sharing

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Silver2195 posted:

You seem to have left me out of the data.

Did you vote in the form? I explicitly said I wasn’t counting votes in the thread by hand.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

darkgray posted:

Yeah, my point was that it's hard to count votes when they're not eligible in the first place.

Oh lol, I thought that was directed at me at first

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
1. The votes weren't counted by hand, read the OP.

2. Noticed the duplicate response I deleted from Cantaloupe was left in the spreadsheet, so I've only fixed that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can re-open the form for votes temporarily if it really matters to you, but I won't be re-tallying the votes myself