Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Julias posted:

I blame the Netflix model of just dumping the entire series at once. If a thread is made prior to the dump, or there is a lot to say about the material, it might get it's own thread and discussion like with Devilman Crybaby and BNA, but everyone said what they had to say about it in the Seasonal/chat threads.

I think it didn't help that it... ah, I feel like an rear end in a top hat saying this when I didn't see all of it, and people are putting it on their top ten, but it kinda sucked?

It felt like a show by someone else trying to be Devilman Crybaby, which is weird since Yuasa made Devilman Crybaby. (Which combines with the credit listings to make me feel like there's something to the theory this was one of those things where a name lends his reputation to a project that gets someone else into the big leagues). It takes a bunch of the things from Devilman, like the running metaphor, the biracial status of the central characters, the rap, and the mass death, but it felt like they were kind of marketing features rather than something that came from the project organically.

It really felt weird to finally be getting into Yuasa properly, see something of his drop on Netflix... and drop it almost immediately, but yeah. I think if it was more widely liked, it'd be more likely to have gotten discussion.

But that's too much of that talk in a thread about anime people liked, so!

I watched more old anime than new this year, and a decent chunk of what I watched was more just keeping up with the weeklies than any deep love, but I got more than one new entry for my top anime list this year, so I can't call this a loss, even aside from old stuff like Tatami Galaxy.

5) Gundam Vs. Hello Kitty
In a way, this is a fill in for Build Divers Re:Rise. I've only watched a bit of that show here and there, but it's seemed... solid. A Gundam Isekai with characters, motivations, arcs, all the basics that watching more stuff has taught me not to take for granted. It's, from what I've seen, a pretty decent show, and I want to see more, but until I do, my list holds a Gundam I did complete, where Amuro flees in horror to escape Kitty's terrifying power of friendship.

4) My Hero Academia Season 4
MHA was the first weekly I kept up with in Jump, and season 4 covers some of the best stuff with the beginnings of Endeavor's proper character arc. It's really interesting to see him try to, well, stop being such a piece of poo poo, without demanding everyone immediately forgive him for the harm he's done. Mirio's fun, the festival is great, and there's enough to make my list. Just... not enough for a higher spot.

3) Kaguya: Love is War season 2
I watched MHA because I liked the manga already. Kaguya made me read the manga. I bounced off season 1 episode 1, but seeing the talk about the show eventually made me give it another try, and it paid off. Season 2 has less of the more repetitive aspects of season 1, and the expanding cast meant there was more room for interesting dynamics other than Prez and Kaguya being dumbasses at each other.

2) Weathering With You.
Not an option on the voting list, presumably thanks to the bastards at the Toronto Film Festival (who I still haven't forgiven for giving their 1990 People's Choice award to an obvious knockoff of Steve Martin's Roxanne), but I'm giving it a place here, and it's a pretty tight race for first. (Ask me another day, I might rearrange the positions.) I watched every other Shinkai film in preparation for this one, and this is probably my favorite. Actually having the two leads spend time together was a change of pace from his usual separation, and the hero's rejection of "the greater good" without ignoring the consequences of that decision made it stand out. Also, got a bit of a soft spot for the last movie I saw in theaters before lockdowns started. (Twice. Dub was better than I expected.)

1) Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!
Yeah, it's an obvious pick, but it's not like ignoring the obvious is a virtue. I wasn't sure that I needed another making an anime anime after Shirobako, but seeing people get excited over it and seeing Yuasa was involved made me check it out. Very glad I did. It's funny, it's educational, the animation is often amazing, the characters are likable, and it's just generally really good. It's also an anime that made me watch a ton of other anime that also made my all time list. I'm not sure if I'd have gotten around to Conan or Tatami Galaxy this year without Eizuoken, and if I hadn't, my life would be poorer. Not just a good show, but a show that lets you appreciate other shows even more.

Highly recommended.

Considering the number of shows I missed because they were sequels to things I didn't watch and the things that got delayed, it's not a bad list, I think. Also watching Jujutsu, AoT, and Osomatsu, but I suppose those will be trying out for next year's list.

(Which means, if nothing else, 2021's anime will be off to a decent start.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Honestly, I'm most surprised by Deca-Dence having such a high listing.

Show shot its wad in episode 2, and then turned out to not have anything else particularly interesting. One moment of surprise, then ten episodes painted by numbers, with constant fakeout deaths for Kaburagi to undermine the tension in the last act.