Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
My AOTY picks were:

Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na!
Fantastic. Just a joy to watch

Akudama Drive
Slick production, dumb fun, and captures the themes of the genre way better than most attempts.

Maoujou de Oyasumi | Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle
I expected this to be another single gag anime that runs out of ideas almost immediately (gal and dinosaur, for example), but this ended up being one of my favourite comedy animes of all time.

Talentless Nana
One of the best first episodes I've ever seen.

Honourable mentions to:
Adachi to Shimamura - good but not great
Dorohedoro - good enough to make me go and read the manga
Chihaya S3 - remains probably my favourite anime of all time

Splode fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

3. Talentless Nana

Hey this is a bit of a spoiler for people using this thread to decide what to watch, please consider using spoiler tags

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Strange Quark posted:

Elaina has competent animation and a few decent jokes, which is probably enough for most people. It seems pretty well received everywhere else on the internet. SA sticks out as the sole outlier.

That's why I only use SA for anime recommendations

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It knows exactly what kind of show it wants to be and never tries to go outside its lane while telling a full and complete story, with an internally-consistent setting, from start to finish. That's a rare thing nowadays, sadly.

Sometimes fun and looking cool is enough.

Yeah I agree with this. It's consistently stylish and well produced the whole way though, the story was clearly written from start to finish, rather than adhoc nonsense, the pacing is good. The themes are basic but consistent.

It may not be particularly groundbreaking or ambitious, but it doesn't have anything wrong with it.

And geez it's really nice to get a story that ends entirely and completely instead of hoping for another season or expecting me to go read the manga