Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
1) Dorohedoro I should probably seperate the anime from the manga, but I wouldn't've heard about the series if not for the anime, so just for that it deserves the top spot. Dorohedoro has a unique setting, a lot of really good humour, intriguing plot and lovable characters. Characters are especially good. It's a pretty uncommon approach to storytelling - start with a couple of protagonists and then as they meet other people, follow these other characters as well, like ripples on the water. And make them all equally likable. It's great. And I love the soundtrack.

2) Eizouken At some point during watching Eizouken I felt inspired to work on my thesis. I usually watch anime to escape work, but this one made me genuinely excited to go back to it, and to creative writing. Eizouken is great in showing what's so great about creating stuff you care about. It's also gorgeous and the cast is wonderful.

3) Kaguya-sama My favourite comedy of the year. Miko IIno is a very good girl.

4) Bofuri This one is a bit personal, oddly enough. I have this weird compulsion to play the games the "right" way, even if it's not necessarily the way I enjoy. Especially when I'm playing rpgs, I get overwhelmed, look up some guides and then become unable to stop using them, fearing that I'll miss stuff. Maple's approach to playing reminded me of my first forays into games and it felt really sweet and relaxing to watch her not giving two shits about "right" ways.

5) Japan Sinks 2020 There aren't many anime that make me cry, and this one made me cry a lot. That's it.

And I guess my honourable mention is pet which managed to make me very invested in characters and also has a decent ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Nanigans posted:

I really don’t understand the love for Akudama Drive. I binged it on this thread’s constant recommendation and it was...fun? Looked pretty cool? But so hilariously edgy and generic with absolutely nothing new to say.

:shrug: idgi

I was pretty underwhelmed for almost the entire series but the ending was pretty good!