Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
1) IDOLiSH7: Second Beat!

I liked the first season, I adored the interseason shorts, and this season had it all: it introduced new characters and made me care about them; it gave payoff for things introduced early on; it had silly hijinks contrasting with moving interpersonal drama; and it set things up for future seasons while still having a satisfying ending. The character writing is just so drat solid. I love these boys.
We marathoned the first season + shorts on New Year's Day, and gently caress this is is such a good show. I'm super hype for season 3.

2) Love Live! Nijigasaki Gakuen School Idol Doukoukai

As the world knows, I love live, and the nijis are no exception. This season's weaknesses and strengths largely flow from the same source: it's highly episodic nature. Each idol indisputably gets her own focus ep, complete with a song+MV, which is awesome. Unfortunately, some of their issues and dramas are a bit much to be contained in a single ep (Shizuku, Rina), and others aren't really enough to fill one out (Ai, Emma). They cheat a bit by borrowing some of the airtime from less dramatic charas and giving it to their more troubled partners, but still, some of these dramas really should have been more diffuse.
But! It was really pretty, I love the girls, and the MVs were given the attention they needed to really shine. I'm excited for presumably more.

3) Princess Connect! Re:Dive

This ain't the deepest show or anything, but it was consistently fun, pretty, and charming. The core pekokyaru relationship is great (standoffish×bulldozer is my favorite character dynamic), and they used their player insert MC to great effect by making him a buffoonish amnesiac. It's easily the show from the first half of the year that most often comes to mind now.

4) Akudama Drive

I fear I might be overrating this due to how recently I finished it, but this was just a really well-done show. Our main character may have been the only one with any depth to her, but her journey was great, and the other characters were no less charming for their 2D natures. Visually, the show was stylish as gently caress, and I enjoyed how it subsumed every other concern to ensuring that poo poo was badass-looking. And it was. The show really stuck the landing, too, and I love how complete the story feels.

5) BanG Dream! 3rd Season

This season really focused on RAS, which was absolutely a great decision, even if it meant my favorite bandori only got cameo appearances. It introduced the non-game-playing audience (me!) to the new band, and really gave all their dramas the space and attention they needed to shine. I'm still pissed that bandori's abandoned 2D animation, but they do decent things with what they've got.

Honorable mentions:
Haikyuu!! To the Top
Re:Zero s2
Chihayafuru s3
All really good, but also I don't have anything more interesting to say about them besides "they're really good continuations of shows I really like," so here they go.

e: I somehow missed Eizoken in the list, but that probably would have slotted in at #3... Ah well, consider it another HM.

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
poo poo, how did I miss oshibudo??? can the vote be updated?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Strange Quark posted:

I think I set up the form to have editable responses, but if that's not possible, you can always submit another vote and tell me to delete the old one.

k, please delete the old one if there's two, then

new rankings:

1) idolish7

2) Oshibudo

Oshibudo's look at the fans of idols is something one normally only sees in the fringes and backgrounds of some idol shows. I loved seeing it center stage, both in a "hah! it do be like that" sense, and also in a "drat... well, at least I ain't that bad" sense. Add to that cute idols, great visuals, a hefty dose of yuri, glimpses of how chika idols operate, and an all-round positive vibe, and I loving loved it. Someone else seems to have finally started TL'ing the manga, which is good, 'cause I'd have probably had to do it otherwise.

3) nijigasaki
4) eizouken - for all the reasons everyone else has said, I assume
5) priconne

apologies for the inconvenience

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
prettier data, though the names are still monstrous