Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I was going into this thinking I would need to scrounge to get a top 5. Then, I saw the list and half of the notables I list here ended at the beginning of the year. (Showing how much of a time dilated hell-year 2020 has been. :negative: )

TOP 5
1. Kaguya-sama: Love is War S2: Never have I had a second season of a comedy anime knock it so far out of the park. Pure genius and (as you will see from a lot of these), you can tell the animation team really loves the source material.

2. Maoujou de Oyasumi (Sleepy Princess): Read the avatar, mo'fos! Biggest unexpected hit of the year. The only reason this is under Kaguya is because Kaguya's characters had the advantage of having an additional season of being fleshed out. And Daddy, Daddy, Do! :allears:

3. Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu S2: I know a lot of people are more down on this just because it leaves on a heavy S3 hook, but I don't care. This was quality from beginning to end and did great a making me character about these inhuman witches.

4. Akudama Drive: Pure style. People say Elaina was "pretty?" Bullshit. This show was gorgeous and didn't implode on itself like so many anime originals.

5. This was the hardest decision. In reality, it is a tie between Dorohedoro, F/GO: Babylon, Magia Record, Munou no Nana, and Eizoken. Dorohedoro was classy as gently caress and had the best characters. F/GO has the coolest fights (and I'm a Fate fanboy despite never playing FGO). Magia Record did the best job hooking me for the next season. Nana had the best mystery world. Eizoken was the most whimsical and made me feel the most fuzzy-good at the end. But, I'm going to have to give it to Dorohedoro. It has the best overall package of characterization, interesting world, action, animation, and hooks while providing a complete story.

Honorable Mentions:
Isekai Quartet 2: Always good for a laugh.
Uzaki-chan was Asobitai: Didn't make me laugh or keep me an interested as everything else above it, but it had some surprisingly good moments considering the source gimmick.
Fate/Stay Night: Heaven's Feel ~Spring Song~: What the everloving gently caress? This is some bullshit that the culmination of Heaven's Feel is lumped into 2020 when all it has gotten is a theater release (limited in USA) during COVID. 90% chance I'm voting for this during next year's Top 5 regardless of whether it's "eligible" or not. :colbert:

Great shows I was able to catch up on due to COVID lockdown! - Anohana, Showa Genroku Rokugo Shinju

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU