Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
5. Deca-Dence
4. Appare-Ranman!
3. Japan Sinks
2. Dorohedoro
1. Eizouken

Honorable Mentions: BNHA Season 4, Great Pretender, Chihayafuru S. 3, Haikyuu, Heya Camp, Bookworm S. 2, Kaguya-Sama S. 2, Tonikawa
Waste of Time: Re-Zero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I really don’t understand the love for Akudama Drive. I binged it on this thread’s constant recommendation and it was...fun? Looked pretty cool? But so hilariously edgy and generic with absolutely nothing new to say.

:shrug: idgi

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Endorph posted:

if you think its 'hilariously edgy and generic' then yeah you kinda didnt get it, lol. its super stylistic and distinct.

plus like, it knows it's over the top. you aren't meant to take all of it 100% seriously, its part of the visual and narrative style. you arent meant to go 'woah... thats hosed up!!' when cutthroat goes off on one about murders, its meant to be funny and charming

It was charming, sure. I get that it was going for over the top. I get that it was super stylistic. It just felt empty and soulless with nothing new to say about anything.

I will say that the cops are the clear cut villains/losers, so that's good. And while I can't say I've felt particularly burned by series not ending, I can appreciate that Akudama Drive did indeed tell a full story without a cliffhanger ending.

Like I said, I liked it, I just didn't think it was anime of the year material and still don't. Glad people enjoyed it tho.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Elephant Parade posted:

It has things to say if you're willing to take it seriously.

For example, more than just saying "cops are bad", Akudama Drive illustrates how police forces can subvert oversight mechanisms. The way things laws are set up, the Executors can't declare people targets for execution, a key limit on their power. But Boss can just go to the person who does do that and push them into making whatever declarations she likes, because she's more powerful than him. And this--oversight groups being weaker than the groups they're supposed to oversee, and getting pushed around by those groups as a result--is a real problem. Akudama Drive just explored a real problem.

There are a hundred places where it does something like that.

Fair.