Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I actually watched way more this year than I typically do, probably not surprising given that I haven't really left my home for anything other than groceries for 10 months now.

Anyway, I still haven't watched everything I want to from 2020, so I still have some catching up to do. Most notably I still have Eizouken to get to, which I was saving for some weird reason. Anyway, top 5 from what I finished:

Kaguya-sama: Love is War Season 2 - I will never be able to get enough of this show, I adore it. The characters are lovable goofballs, which is important both to the impeccable comedic skits and the more emotional bits. I'm constantly in awe at how this show can whip from making me laugh out loud straight into making me feel my own feelings, and it never feels unnatural or contrived.

TONIKAWA: Over the Moon For You - The animation quality is a bit janky and the concept/execution kind of feels a bit like on-the-nose propaganda targeted at making single people get married. Setting that aside, I got married this year and this show had so many moments that I could empathize with directly. The back half of this year was more than a bit difficult, but this show guaranteed me that every Friday would end on a good note during its run. I wish the main characters were both a bit older, but that aside the show seems to fairly deftly handle its subject matter in a refreshing and respectful way that gives me the warm fuzzies.

BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense - I've played a LOT of MMOs in my life and every time I did the main struggle was always finding a group of people who enjoyed playing the game enough to consistently try everything out and do their best at it while also not turning it into a full time tryhard min-maxing meta-gaming job. Aside from how funny this show is (and it's loving hilarious), I actually really appreciated Maple's approach to gaming. I love that there's a show about someone who just likes playing the video game with no weird tryhard-or-you-die-in-real-life catch, no real stakes, just good times with friends. Also for whatever reason most of the fight scenes have great animation in their own right, even though the main premise of the show is feel-good comedy.

Deca-Dence - This show is like the most "above average" anime of all time. The production values are good, the concept is interesting, the writing is decent, and the pacing is brisk. I don't think there's anything about Deca-Dence that I disliked, and I can't really think of anything off of the top of my head that it could do "better" without essentially changing it into an entirely different production. It's just good. It's also just good.

Chihayafuru 3 - I adored the narrative themes of this season, but I actually had to go and look at which episodes were covered in Season 3 since I rewatched the whole series leading up to it, and it just seamlessly all blends together. I love this show. It's a consistently thoughtful work in every stage of production.

Honorable Mentions:
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU Climax! - Hey, we got an ending finally, even if the show seemed to produce it only through the most torturous process imaginable. I don't regret watching the series, but there were times where I found it more frustrating than anything - some of the characters in this show (in particular, Haruno) seem to exist within the narrative only to drag poo poo out. Adults do not behave like the adults in this show. The kids get a pass for being kids.
My Hero Academia 4 - I love My Hero Academia. Season 1 actually got me to watch anime again, prior to which I hadn't really watched anything for several years. Season 4 was just more of what you expect to see.
Kami no Tou | Tower of God - Weird as hell in a good way? I'm looking forward to more of it.
Kanojo, Okarishimasu | Rent-a-Girlfriend - Better than it had any right to be, refreshing to have any series about ostensible adults, certain characters are almost too believably terrible at times.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU