Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Omnicrom posted:

Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna

This movie can go gently caress right the gently caress off forever. I struggle to think of the last time I was so thoroughly disgusted with something I've watched. It probably doesn't help that I'm a Digimon lifer and so am one of those tedious people with OPINIONS on things, but I honestly find everything about this particular movie to be genuinely toxic and unpleasant to consider. It looks good, it was nice to see the 02 cast after Tri hit them with a truck, and the movie is at the very least a well put together and coherent in its theme and message, it's just that that message is dogshit.

Without going into a point by point invective I will simply state that the message of the film is soul crushing in a way grotesquely antithetical to any other Digimon media I can name. In another series and from another perspective this movie would be seen as an obvious bad ending, the fate everyone gathers to fight against, but here in this movie we're supposed to see the entire cast inevitably losing their best friends as somehow not only natural but also GOOD. Because, as the series shows us via a character example, giving up on your friends for the sake of something you don't really care about and was imposed upon you by your family in direct defiance of everything that had previously been established about you is not character assassination, it is "maturity". No, seriously, that is quite literally where the movie goes, and no I don't know why Toei seems to just hate Sora.

"Growing up means you shouldn't care about Digimon anymore" is a breathtaking pitch considering the franchise exists such as it does in large part on nostalgia on the part of its now adult fans. It's also a breathtaking pitch because of how far removed this is from literally any other Digimon series, even the really bad ones. So kudos on creating a movie that runs against every imaginable grain, and for bringing back a fascinating and underexplored setting in Digimon's mythology just to give it a death sentence. Double kudos for being so cowardly that the production had to go and preemptively confirm that the epilogue to 02 is still Canon even though it doesn't line up the movie at all, and triple kudos for actually making me stand behind said epilogue which I remind you has been hated near universally by fans for a good 20 years now.

DA:LEK is in all imaginable ways the perfect Digimon movie for 2020. I look forward to this movie being relegated to the dustbin of history alongside peers like Eureka 7: Pocketful of Rainbows and Nadesico: Prince of Darkness. I'm not going to pretend the currently airing Digimon Adventure series is amazing, in fact it's quite bad in some respects, but at least it's not a depressing and stupid hot take of a thing.
wait isnt this how tamers ended, already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU