Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Worst anime I've watched (that's still airing, but I've watched all of thus far):

Yashahime: As someone who went into this not knowing poo poo about Inuyasha, I was really excited about it, because it looked and sounded more interesting than a lot of the other sequels to popular shonen manga (the kids of the MCs all being girls, the old characters not being shoved in everywhere like in DBS on Boruto), and I thought the plot about sisters and cousins growing closer to one another as they tried to find their missing past also sounded really interesting, and had the potential for a great story. Plus, Moroha looked cool as gently caress.

What I got instead was a story about a twin sister who's obsessed with getting her twin's sleep and memories back, even though said twin doesn't even want them back, and the "curse" is actually beneficial to her. In addition, the show so far hasn't done a great job of building the relationship between the twins and their cousin, with the relationship between Towa and Setsuna feeling forced as gently caress, and the twins constantly acting annoyed about Moroha, even when she hasn't done anything to be annoyed with. Doesn't help that Towa and Setsuna do some pretty lovely things with regards to Moroha (plotting to steal her bounty and take advantage of her loneliness, leaving her behind when she asked them to wait a minute).

And don't get me started on the pacing. Holy poo poo, it's 13 episodes in, and aside from being two of the four mooks of the big bad being killed, nothing has really happened. I know that Inuyasha was criticized for its filler, but at least in the manga, you saw the characters grow with each other in those fillers, and most of the time, the MOTW was tied with the big bad in some way. Here, a lot of the episodes don't really have anything to do with the big bad, or the main plot about chasing the Dream Butterfly, of which they've haven't even gone after.

The only good thing about the show I can give it is that Moroha is a great character. She's funny as gently caress, adorable, and has cool powers, being the kid of a demon and miko. She also has a far more relatable and sympathetic background, having grown up alone because of her parents disappearance. However, the show is so far up its own rear end on focusing on Towa and Setsuna that she usually gets pushed to the side, and is treated like a joke. Doesn't help that they haven't really even given her a main goal, other than wanting to pay off a debt that the show has refused to hint at thus far.

I'm still sticking with it in the hope that it gets better, but so far, it's been extremely disappointing, especially considering how much I (surprisingly) enjoyed the original manga

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Sorry, but I've been thinking about it more, and I thought of another reason why Yashahime is so loving frustrating: the show loves to poo poo on Moroha. For those who don't want to watch it, Moroha is essentially homeless, and has to pretty much rely on bounties in order to even eat. One of the running gags in the show is that they always end up killing the demon the girls go after, meaning that Moroha can't cash in her bounty. In one of the few times they actually get said bounty, Moroha says she's happy she won't have to starve, and the show hints that she's so desperate that she sometimes ends up having to steal food. All of this is played for laughs, and it's probably one of the most mean spirited jokes on a character I've seen; it's like if in Chainsaw Man, Denji having to dig out of the trash for food is treated as one big joke.

It doesn't help that she's essentially an indentured servant to a bastard racoon who treats her like poo poo, and her cousins really aren't any better, with one episode implying that they were going to steal her bounty. The show treats the twins separation like it's the true tragedy, but it's so loving forced, because they were seperated as toddlers, and at the most, Towa remembers maybe a year of her life with Setsuna. Plus, she and Setsuna actually had homes and adoptive families that took care of them, while Moroha spent all her life alone. In the same episode where the twins plan to steal her bounty, Moroha is even about to cry because she thinks that her cousins don't care about her, and laments that she's been alone all her life.

Sorry for my rant, I had to get it off my chest

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 3, 2021