Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Worst Two Anime (That I Watched To Completion)

Wandering Witch -- When an adaptation of an anime leaves you questioning which of the higher-ups involved in its production is secretly a narcissist incapable of empathy, you know something's gone wrong. Online, this show's supporters often paint that criticism as a desire for the cliche trope of a goody-two-shoes protagonist who comes in and fixes everyone else's problems and incurs no cost for it. Nonsense. You can have a show where the protagonist doesn't fix everyone else's problems, but the creator needs to be aware of that and work with it rather than ignoring it and hoping the audience will do the same. This was a very "you love it or hate it" series, and I hated it. Each episode was either plagued by dissonant tonal problems, or was so laughably trite that it only served to undermine the other episodes that tried to take things seriously. Looking back, the only episode I actually liked was ep 8, and that one was still laughably stupid but at least the show seemed in on the joke for that one. Well, at least it was well-produced visually. That's about all the good I can say of it.

Deca-Dence -- Before I get pelted with tomatoes for putting multiple people's AOTY candidate on the Bad Anime list, I'll explain. The premise was great. Visually, it was fantastic. And the story was solidly ok, if a tad formulaic. However, I hated, hated, HATED the robot segments. It completely ruined the show for me, for all the same reasons that low-grade Cartoon Network fare turned me off of Western animation in general. Do you like weird, ugly, flat character designs? Do you like butt jokes? Do you like poop jokes? Do you like vomit jokes? Do you like poopy-vomit jokes? Yes? Ok then, maybe you'll have a good time with this anime. But not me. Sorry animators, (some of) you tried.

Most Avoided

Rent-A-Girlfriend -- Ever watch a show where you hated the premise, the music, and every single character? Yeah, me neither. loving dropped on the first episode.

God of High School -- From what little I watched of it, it was visually fantastic. However, the story was deficient in every writing 101 area. Really, I'm putting this here as a stand-in for all of the korean-manga-turned-anime this year by Crunchyroll. Not only are they hideously rushed (as in Tower of God's case), but they're all bad in the same way. It's just "what if we copied that one wildly-popular-yet-questionably-written shonen we all liked, but without a semblance of a proper story". Which for someone like me who is already tired of most shonen titles, is the death knell of my interest. These productions have guaranteed that I will avoid every manwha adaptation that comes out.

Gibiate -- It looked like crap. That's it, that's the reason.

Aaand I don't have much else to add. There were plenty of shows that looked mediocre, or were very Not My Thing, but my avoidance of them was more due to a lack of effort than a conscious decision to never watch them.

Malsangoroth fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU