Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

I liked the set of three I did last year but I’m missing a slot so I’ll take suggestions:

1) Watch a 50-60 episode series. Probably kaiji but suggestions might make me change my mind

2) Read Higurashi, picked up the last few chapters I was missing on the steam sale

3) Watch a short ova series. Suggestions needed, I’ve seen gunbuster/diebuster, giant robo, and garden of sinners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Cross ange

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Argona posted:

I liked the set of three I did last year but I’m missing a slot so I’ll take suggestions:

1) Watch a 50-60 episode series. Probably kaiji but suggestions might make me change my mind

2) Read Higurashi, picked up the last few chapters I was missing on the steam sale

3) Watch a short ova series. Suggestions needed, I’ve seen gunbuster/diebuster, giant robo, and garden of sinners

Assuming you've only seen those four...

Well, my reflex answer is FLCL for an OVA. It's by the director of Diebuster and keeps the same energy, so if you liked that, you're probably in for a good time. It's also good cultural context for when the Chainsaw Man anime comes out.) If you want an older mech OVA, War in the Pocket is really good for getting into Gundam. Six episodes, and it's up there with the original, Turn A, and IBO as the best anime you'll get from the series. (The same director did Orguss II, which is pretty good for an obscure sequel to a pretty mediocre mech anime, but it's not a must watch).

For Macross, there's Plus, which is only four episodes and an absolute treat for the eyes. Prime Watanabe (of Cowboy Bebop fame), and it's about (immature) adults instead of teens, which might be a fun change of pace for a mech anime.

If that all sounds too intellectual for your desires of the moment, Mazinkaizer SKL might be a good fit. The show is very, very direct about its goals (robot fights) and its character motivations (they are possible sociopaths who love robofights). At three episodes, it's one of the fastest options. It's also the best Mazinger thing I've seen.

I admit, my OVA recommendation pool is a bit mech focused, but maybe one of those would be entertaining enough for a watch. Plus, they all stand alone well enough (and are short enough) that even if you don't like them, it's not much time wasted.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
re:cutie honey

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i'm gonna watch the four longest shows remaining on my plan-to-watch list:

1) Hunter x Hunter
2) Legend of the Galactic Heroes
3) Cardcaptor Sakura
4) Armored Trooper Votoms

in addition i'll watch four shorter shows (26 episodes or fewer please) via recommendations:

1) Bokurano
2) Melody of Oblivion
3) Kill Me Baby
4) Skull-Face Bookseller Honda-san

edit: stole a couple from other peoples lists because i wanna watch them. locking this in on january 4.

Tales of Woe fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 4, 2021

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Paper Lion posted:

im a gundam sperg and have seen all of it and am kind of not in the mood. the only exception is i will mutually toxx with any SEED or SEED Destiny people if they make that their pick for me as well, because misery needs company. or Turn A because it rules and I havent seen it in a decade

I"ll take you up for Seed and Seed Desting since I'm going to need an anime accountability buddy to finish it. Igloo's also added to my list.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Argona posted:

Read or Die. 3 episodes, very good and fun.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Namtab posted:

Im going to make you watch cross ange

gently caress

everythingWasBees posted:

mythical detective loki ragnarok then

cool

Tales of Woe posted:

in addition i'll watch four shorter shows (26 episodes or fewer please) via recommendations:

ping pong the animation

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I"ll take you up for Seed

gently caress

Tulalip Tulips posted:

and Seed Desting

gently caress

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tales of Woe posted:

1)
2)
3)
4)

Serial Experiments Lain

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i've seen ping pong and lain, hit me with some deeper cuts if you've got em

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

bokurano

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tales of Woe posted:

i've seen ping pong and lain, hit me with some deeper cuts if you've got em

Melody of Oblivion. :colbert:

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

Melody of Oblivion. :colbert:

now that's what i'm talking about, thanks

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'm not toxxing, but I do want to watch all of the monogatari series this year.

In addition, I'd like one recommendation per each month from fellow goons, and I'll do a write up about it afterwards. Please keep the recommendations under 26 episodes, and I reserve the right to veto anything truly awful or that I can't sit through.

Jan: Level E - AlternateNu
Feb: Tada Never Falls In Love - Paper Lion
Mar:Tsuritama - Tales if Woe
Apr: Cross Ange - Namtab
May: Ping Pong the Animation - thetoughestbean
Jun: Paranoia Agent - chiasaur11
Jul: Skull face bookseller Honda san - CrazySalamander
Aug: Hoozuki no Reitetsu - EverythingBurrito
Sep: Prétear - Tulalip Tulips
Oct:Tokumu Sentai Shinesman - GorfZaplen
Nov:
Dec:

Julias fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jan 10, 2021

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Julias posted:

In addition, I'd like one recommendation per each month from fellow goons, and I'll do a write up about it afterwards. Please keep the recommendations under 26 episodes, and I reserve the right to veto anything truly awful or that I can't sit through.

Level E, the Togashi series that everyone forgot.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 3, 2021

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Julias posted:

Tada Never Falls In Love

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

Thanks y'all, I've actually been watching a bunch of robot stuff seperately including war in the pocket (which is great), so i might give re cutie honey or read or die a shot (i have seen flcl as well).

Argona fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 3, 2021

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Julias posted:

Tsuritama

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Julias posted:

Mar:
Apr:
May:
Jun:
Jul:
Aug:
Sep:
Oct:
Nov:
Dec:

Planet With

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Julias posted:

Mar:
Apr:
May:
Jun:
Jul:
Aug:
Sep:
Oct:
Nov:
Dec:
Cross ange

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Julias posted:

Mar:
Apr:
May:
Jun:
Jul:
Aug:
Sep:
Oct:
Nov:
Dec:

Pretear or Himiko Den.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Already saw it last year. It was very good!

Namtab posted:

Cross ange

I'll give it another chance now that I'm more open to various content, but I really did not like the first episode.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Julias posted:

Already saw it last year. It was very good!

I realize I have very limited recommendations that you probably haven’t seen, so I’ll list a bunch and hope that one fell through the cracks

Ping Pong the Animation
Megalobox
Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans
Cells At Work

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Julias posted:

May:
Jun:
Jul:
Aug:
Sep:
Oct:
Nov:
Dec:

I don't know what all you've seen (Tatami Galaxy seems like a given, but if you haven't seen it, it's a must) but I might as well toss out some recommendations, roughly in order from most recommended to "Hey, if you've seen all the others..."

Tatami Galaxy
SSSS Gridman
Paranoia Agent
A Place Further than the Universe
SAO Alternative: Gun Gale Online
Armored Hunter Mellowlink
Hisone and Masotan

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Julias posted:

I'll give it another chance now that I'm more open to various content, but I really did not like the first episode.

the end of the first ep and a bit of the second ep set expectations that are a lot worse than later eps actually end up being

the past few eps i've seen have been so much less awkward that i'm kind of amazed they open the show the show with stuff like that

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 4, 2021

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

watch kill me baby

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Julias posted:

Jul:
Aug:
Sep:
Oct:
Nov:
Dec:

Skull face bookseller Honda san. 1 cour of 11 minute episodes and weird art and story.

CrazySalamander fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 4, 2021

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hoozuki no Reitetsu

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

In 2020 I started 12 shows and didn't finish any of them, so naturally what I'm going to do this year is pick some of the shows I started in 2014 and never finished and watch those. This season is a complete anime drought for me, it's a good time to catch up anyways.

They will be:

-Patlabor ON TELEVISION
-Phantom Requiem for the Phantom
-Ping Pong
-Haibane Renmei
-Gensou Maden Saiyuki
-.hack//SIGN

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Julias posted:

Jul: Skull face bookseller Honda san - CrazySalamander
Aug: Hoozuki no Reitetsu - EverythingBurrito
Sep: Prétear - Tulalip Tulips
Oct:
Nov:
Dec:

I'll give you an easy one: Tokumu Sentai Shinesman

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i'll read 40 visual novels, beat 5 jrpgs and srpgs, read 20 manga, and watch 20 anime from before 2013

Impressed at the Colonel's time traveling toxx. If she succeeds, not only will she get a $10 upgrade, she'll have mastered the power of time and space itself.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

oh I misread. I thought that said "Watch 20 anime before 2013"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
dont worry ive done that already

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

GorfZaplen posted:

I'll give you an easy one: Tokumu Sentai Shinesman

I actually already saw this :shobon: It's Senerio's favorite anime iirc, though admittedly I hardly remember the thing. Eh I'll add it anyways.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

Argona posted:

I read Higurashi in about the span of a month. I had seen the anime series before so I had thought it would be a fun spot the difference type thing but honestly, its been probably a decade and change (oh god) and also the anime kind of butchers everything but the last two arcs anyways, so besides knowing some of the "answers", it was basically a new read to me. I had a lot of fun seeing foreshadowing things that that you wouldn't see except on a reread, like why satoko falls the trick the zombie tag game in the first chapter (oh my god), Overall, really worth reading and honestly I personally put it over Umineko.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Droyer posted:

Not strictly anime but I will make more robot youtube videos, and I want the first one out in february, with them continuing at least monthly after that.

It was down to the wire but I didn't fall at the first hurdle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZyUpWBDQw0

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Imma continue my Gundam-athon, but this time focusing on non-UC stuff.

G Gundam
Gundam Wing
Build Fighters
IBO

And just for Bees:

IGLOO

G Gundam finished! It was incredibly silly, incredibly hype, sometimes incredibly racist (but in a non-mean-spirited way), but most of all incredibly fun to watch. Easily one of my favourite Gundam shows.

Gonna clear a couple of non-Gundam shows off my backlog, then I'll probably watch IBO next.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Paper Lion posted:

my toxx, my ambition, and my punishment are all the same thing: whoever has already posted or plans to post in this thread, provide a recommendation and i will watch it entirely unless i have already seen it and dont want to again in which case, give me a new one. recommend the worst poo poo imaginable. recommend niche things you think no one would ever dare bother watching so you finally have a friend to talk about your special interest with. recommend something that should just get a bit more love. recommend something you already somehow know i love and will want to watch again. i dont care. i will maintain a list in this post and update it as i go, and post in the thread thoughts when i finish things.

i hope everyone has a better year this go around. i love anime and i love you.

list so far:
Cardcaptor Sakura (im watching the dub because i have nostalgia for it gently caress you)
Monster
Concrete Revolutio
House Of Five Leaves
Cross Ange
Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok
Gundam SEED
Gundam SEED Destiny

its been half a year!!!!! i hope everyone is having fun watching lots of anime

as you can see from the strikethroughs, i have had lots and lots of fun watching anime. im not going to give any giant reviews because these were all rewatches for me

cardcaptor sakura remains very fun. its easy to compartmentalize how hosed up the 90s dub is as an adult through the haze of time, but vast chunks of that show just kind of make no sense because they didnt bother dubbing certain episodes or did some out of order. there were a few situations where she'd bust out a card and then like 5 episodes later catch the card she already used. also missing a few iconic episodes because of them not being dubbed, but it had the bonus of trying to be eagle eyed about where they were editing out the stuff they thought wasn't kid friendly enough.

honestly, not much to say about monster. great show. watch it if you haven't seen it. holds up, fun to rewatch knowing all the twists and turns. imagine thinking death note is better than monster. lol. lmao.

gundam seed whips rear end. its stupid and horribly written, janky animation from the era where animators were still figuring out digital processes, inconsistent characters making nonsensical decisions (it even has its own george lucas style "han shot first" situation where in the show kira just ices nicol in cold blood for no reason while in the movie nicol runs into kira's sword and makes kira a murderer. again, for no reason.). the constant depiction of kira as the ultimate ubermensch even while hes being sexually manipulated in a way the show insists is 5d chess but is dumber than tic tac toe. its terrible, its stupid, it has no redeeming qualities and i love it. if you cant laugh at a show expecting you to believe that a 15 year old can reprogram a giant robot's OS so that it can walk on sand without sinking, in 10 seconds, one handed, while under gunfire, then im not sure anime is the medium for you.

a long time ago, when i rewatched seed and destiny with some friends, we came to the realization that if the thesis of seed was "war is bad", then the thesis of destiny had to be "war is". highlights include the episode that ends with a 10 minute sequence of an old guy literally explaining the concept of the military industrial complex to characters that already know about it so the audience can be lectured on it, kira killing stella for no reason and then everyone telling shinn to calm down and apologize to kira because shinn went apeshit about the only person in the world that gave a poo poo about him dying, and lacus clyne's pivot into ambassador/space princess/idol(?)/orphanage owner. its more boring than it should be though, despite the writer turning kira and lacus into their self insert fanfiction. boring fanfiction can be rough.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Imma continue my Gundam-athon, but this time focusing on non-UC stuff.

G Gundam
Gundam Wing
Build Fighters
IBO

And just for Bees:

IGLOO

Finished IBO a few days ago. Wow. That sure was a different vibe compared to G Gundam, huh? It's been a while since a show has made me incredibly sad, but hey, thanks Mari Okada. God bless you, Lafter x Akihiro.

Probably Wing next after I watch OddTaxi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

So far i only watched the persona 3 movies. They were good.