Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

05. Use Microfilm on Projector

At least Billy finally found a moment to enjoy some poetry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
- The start of the video and discovering that Billy couldn't pick up the item either because the inventory was full was funny. It makes be so much more grateful to be playing RE 4, where Leon is carrying in his attache case a pistol, shotgun, rifle (and scope), 9 grenades, about 6 ammo boxes, 5 herbs, 1-2 herb mixes, some First Aid Spray. Oh, AND a Rocket Launcher, and I have some room to spare. :)
- Money well spent on those costumes you wore for 30 seconds.
- You can make more molotovs with the empty bottles, but I don't know what the stack size for molotovs is before you need a new stack.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Stack limits usually weren't a problem in the pre-RE4 games. Outside of a few heavily restricted exceptions (like you can only hold 2 doses of gas at a time in the RE1 remake), I think everything that stacks will go up to 255, way more than you'll find of anything but handgun bullets without cheating.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Good thing we have a kid who knows how to mix chemicals with us.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Hello! It's been a super hectic week, but rest assured I haven't forgotten about Resident Evil Aught.

06. Use Statues on Scales

Up up down up up ... h-hey!!!

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

:engleft: The reason iron maidens don't make sense as torture devices is because they were invented in the 1800s to pad out exhibitions of scary looking 'medieval' torture stuff

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Got to have that delicious Battle Data.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The Progenitor Virus IS mentioned in a Resident Evil 5 file.

Also, this rescue sequence sucks and I hate it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think I mentioned in another RE thread or LP that there were two very different viruses (Progenitor being one of them) being studied on that were mentioned in REmake and the documents made me think they were worded to be interchangeable.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

07. Use Lighter on Nature Puzzle

Gnoman posted:

Also, this rescue sequence sucks and I hate it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Why does this game exist?

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
My bet's on cash grab.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It's very cheaply made in that the cutscenes seem to be prerendered and made before the game was even made. So the game kind of has to kludge together its gameplay to make it fit.

It's also really spitefully designed in several areas.

I will say that you guys are driving me nuts a bit. The ally character is being left on idle when you're running around the manor and taking so many hits because they're not defending themselves. Idle saves on ammo, but it carries a higher health cost. But.... you're out of healing and have a bunch of ammo still.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Now you have jumping enemies who are always a pain in the rear end and harder to hit. Might as well play team mode. One thing I am grateful for is that you don't have to wait for the other person to be next to you during door animations. No leaving them behind.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Scalding Coffee posted:

One thing I am grateful for is that you don't have to wait for the other person to be next to you during door animations. No leaving them behind.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am talking about the time Rebecca was stuck on that box and you had to leave the room, not that you can cheese Leech man by skipping entire rooms with one person. Anyone still remember Silent Hill 4?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Oh, no, no, I mean that we also thought the same thing you did.

Once.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I can't leave without my buddy Billy Coen.

Of all the things I've seen and heard about RE0, room memory limits wasn't one of them and I'm really surprised it didn't come up. I guess most people just left stuff lying around randomly. Too bad there just isn't a way to store a mass of game items in a single location.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Agh sorry for the late replies, this whole week's gotten away from me.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Why does this game exist?

Best I can figure is sunk-cost from the initial "We want to put an RE game on the N64" pitch. The whole reason the character switching was a thing was to take advantage of the much faster cartridge load times. Then they wound up having trouble making it happen so they ported it to Gamecube, and spent a ton of time and money prettying it up in the process, and I suspect by the time anyone realized they'd actually made a clunky, unwieldy thing it was far too late and they had to finish it.

They never really said how much of the N64 version was actually finished. All the footage released was from the train, and plays really close to the final game.

Keldulas posted:

I will say that you guys are driving me nuts a bit. The ally character is being left on idle when you're running around the manor and taking so many hits because they're not defending themselves. Idle saves on ammo, but it carries a higher health cost. But.... you're out of healing and have a bunch of ammo still.

I can't promise I get any better at playing it later on, because I don't, but we did remember to turn on ally attack a couple times later into it. It's just hard to shake the memory of the time I noticed Sheva in RE5 standing at the edge of a boat, firing our entire supply of shotgun shells at a boss that was half a mile away.

I think the part where I tried to run around the bugs in the 3F boss room is probably the worst example of this, fortunately.

Kibayasu posted:

Of all the things I've seen and heard about RE0, room memory limits wasn't one of them and I'm really surprised it didn't come up. I guess most people just left stuff lying around randomly. Too bad there just isn't a way to store a mass of game items in a single location.

It is weird that this doesn't come up more. "Gather all your poo poo in one place" is really common advice for this game.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Level 1 Thief posted:

They never really said how much of the N64 version was actually finished. All the footage released was from the train, and plays really close to the final game.
N64 Rebecca has a jaunty hat though, which is improving the game slightly.

Level 1 Thief posted:

It is weird that this doesn't come up more. "Gather all your poo poo in one place" is really common advice for this game.
I was on team 'just throw it on the floor like an animal' when I played it since the map lets you find things. Making extra trips specifically to consolidate stuff in the entry is more backtracking than waiting till you actually need something and going directly to it

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Level 1 Thief posted:

Agh sorry for the late replies, this whole week's gotten away from me.

Best I can figure is sunk-cost from the initial "We want to put an RE game on the N64" pitch. The whole reason the character switching was a thing was to take advantage of the much faster cartridge load times. Then they wound up having trouble making it happen so they ported it to Gamecube, and spent a ton of time and money prettying it up in the process, and I suspect by the time anyone realized they'd actually made a clunky, unwieldy thing it was far too late and they had to finish it.

They also had a contract with Nintendo for the Gamecube. I don't remember the details much, but IIRC they were obligated to produce a certain number of GameCube exclusive games. So finishing one that they had a lot of the work for already was an easy way to check one off.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

We're officially in the back half of the videos now! It becomes very clear at this point that this game and I are not going to come to an agreement.

08. Use Billy on Piano

Nothing good has ever happened beyond the water door.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
That was a lot of rough fights all in one video.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They sure make it easy to find items in each room as you are almost tripping on them.
That bat boss messes with the camera or something when it gets close.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
You're taking a lot of fights and have used a ton of healing. I'm wondering if you'll run into an encounter that you can't win because you don't have the health and healing supplies, and you'll need to load a save a lot farther back.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

We actually never had to roll back a save, but it got pretty close over the next 2-3 parts.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Resident Evil, perspectives, and block pushing - wasting your time since 1996.

Also a piano? They did the thing! But also reversed it! :buddy:

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

09. Use Shotgun on Bats

Rebecca and Billy leave behind the appalling carnage of the giant bat fight and descend into the worst area of the game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I bet you can position yourself in front of the save room door and stunlock the bat when it gets in front of you.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

There is a method for a stunlock quick kill using fire grenades, it turns out, but it's a totally random coinflip whether it works or not.

edit: AGDQ runners say it's about 30% odds without the infinite magnum

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 4, 2021

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's a rare game where backing yourself into a corner is the best strategy against a boss but I think this is one.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
That boss fight looked absolutely horrendous.

It's kind of funny how the game starts badly, and it keeps getting worse as time goes on.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm not sure I could describe any Resident Evil boss in the fixed camera era as "good" but I can say that the developers mostly understood that and made them slow and easy to hit but with a lot of damage if they did catch up with you. Then the final boss occasionally did a sprint in a straight line toward the player which was a big a deal back then.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I am legit amazed, upon rewatching this, that I did keep a correct mental count of "8 attempts" over the two videos. Despite everything.

Really cannot stress how much the cackling madness was not an act during that recording session.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

10. Use Everything on Dumbwaiter

We really should've gone back for the other handgun, it turns out.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There is no reason for the dumbwaiter to only hold one item at a time. That was pure padding.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
That was a whole bunch of Resident Evil Zero enforced nothing. If you had a summary of screenshots, you'd need to do like 10 to get the important parts of that episode through.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

There is no reason for the dumbwaiter to only hold one item at a time. That was pure padding.

No Reason: The Resident Evil Zero story.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

11. Use Nostalgia on Player

I'm not even sure what to put here anymore. This game's a jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Hope you were making that map of where everything has been taking place so far