Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sniep posted:

1024x768 is always the answer to this since 1997

rip my 17.4" viewable 19" crt with 1024x768@120 :(

it did way higher but at decreasing refresh and more judder due to shielding in the wall wiring being old at the time. it also started to get fuzzy at high resolutions and needed constant adjustments since it was only vga

tfc looked great with high refresh and aa on. good monitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

my sister is going to buy a cheap laptop so I looked at a couple online. they are still selling full-size laptops with 1366x768 screens in tyool 2020 :rip:

i mean thats not bad on a 10" chromebook but im guessing these are those chunky 17" windows ones

or the 14" models because somehow that in-between size is still common

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Last Day of 2020 posted:

A couple years back I bought a new TV, Sony x900e, 4k hdr 120hz. Sweet.

Later I bought a Acer monitor, 1440p, hdr, 144hz. Also sweet.

Sometime later I hook my computer up to the TV. Something is wrong. Horribly wrong.

Did a bunch of reading and it turns out that my TV is HDMI 2.0b which tops out at 60fps input. The panel is capable of 120 but only with trash motion interpolation.

Still pissed about that.

i had a tv like that and, even with decent motion interpolation, its just useless because nothing is intended for it aside from making sports look more natural

some turn-based but frame locked games looked a bit better but uh