Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

3440x1440

lol if u don't 21:9. it's baffling that it took this long for humans to discover this aspect ratio. it's super good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i always liked that the matrix used mac keyboards.

they may have put some stickers on the keys but i'd know that font (univers condensed light oblique) anywhere

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 30, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i mean yeah it would be better if it was a nice clean figure like 4200x1800 but whatcha gonna do.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lol 60hz. Embarrassing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sweevo posted:

up to say 100hz i could see for reducing eyestrain, but 120 or 144hz is the monitor equivalent of audiophiles claiming they can hear ultrasonics

Everyone thinks this until they try it.

You can absolutely tell the difference between 60, 100, 120, 144hz and I bet it keeps going past that but that's where my monitor stops. I tested it out with unreal tournament 99 with various frame limiters and 120-144 is obviously more subtle than 60-120 but there's a difference.

Even just dragging windows around on a 60hz screen feels sluggish and jittery once you get used to the high frame rate.

E: you also need a mouse with a high report rate to really take advantage of it. Mine can be toggled between 125hz and 500hz and yep, you notice the difference there too

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 2, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah i went through that argument when i was looking to get a new monitor. oh if i get something that's high frame rate what if it ruins 60hz for me forever?

well it did. my laptop screen now feels chunky and slow. oh well. i don't regret it, hfr is way way better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

i remember some dude arguing that movies in 60fps were objectively better

but low frame rates and motion blur are actually the best

as an artistic choice in cinema yes.

in user interaction no. your eyes and nerves 'refresh' way faster than the monitor. anything that gets you closer to an instant response is an improvement