Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm becoming more and more intrigued by non-dualism and slowly increasingly frustrated that I can't seem to find it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bored Online posted:

i think this is a common misconception. yeah life is suffering and joy is fleeting regardless of what your spiritual / religious beliefs are. some famous tibetan monks say buddhism is about appreciating joy in the moment when you get it so maybe you just gotta let yourself have one every now and again

I've been thinking about this a lot recently. been listening to some stuff by joseph goldstein, and he was highlighting the difference between expectations and aspirations. and how expectations can act like cravings - leading to suffering, but aspiring for something more or better doesn't have to be like that. idk. i'm miserable a lot of the time, but its mostly my job that makes me feel that way, and so nothing goings to get better unless I address that.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
thanks for resurrecting my dead dumb thread echi. may you find your worth in the waking world

serious talk a bad or unfulfilling job can really gently caress you up and cause all kinds of mental anguish so good luck and godspeed. i was in the same place and just woke up a year later with all sorts of physical and mental problems solved just because i hosed off and did something else

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I’m finding the potential new directions paralysing, I can’t help but feel like something like a recruitment agency would do a better job.

It’s not that my job sucks, just that it feels like a massive waste of my skills and creativity. there are many opportunities in my current job to help people and feel like i’m doing good for the community, but tbh that does little for my life satisfaction, and the rest of the job is dull and the ship/industry is dying

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks for the positivity. and beep telling me he pivoted at my age? maybe i’m not utterly without hope

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
imo everyone should find some weird fuckin poo poo from ages gone by and get really into that

like Catharism for instance

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catharism

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
um yeah thats .. something

stoicism is appealing. but also requires hard work and being good

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

all philosophies have their own definition of being good

also what’s this got to do with programming

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

all philosophies have their own definition of being good

also what’s this got to do with programming

sir this is a containment thread

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bored Online posted:

sir this is a containment thread

oh right carry on

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/rodtronics/status/1422463482860036098?s=20

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

duh?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean as a matter of direct experience

Your conscious experience is a universe generated by your brain and you have that experience. it’s built based on information from your eyes and ears etc, but when you look at a chair, what you are experiencing in the first person is your own brains interpretation of the chair.

you don’t see the actual chair, you see a mediated generated version of the chair that your brain projects into your consciousness. and i’d say most
of the time for sane people this internal chair is identical to the physical chair outside you

anyway, given this, it’s possible to perceive that everything you experience in consciousness is YOU. that is to say that everything in consciousness is made from consciousness and that that is you. when people talk about being one with the universe this is what they mean, it’s possible to see that everything you experience is you and that you are one with that

it’s stretch to say that you are actually one with the actual universe. some make this claim, but there is no evidence of that. but one with your own conscious experience of all of existence? yep it’s already true

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

echinopsis posted:

theres a kind of meditation called loving kindness, where you focus on a person, and pretend to be saying 'I wish you well", and genuinely wish better for that person, and because our brain gets better at what we practice, it transforms us. prayer must have a similar effect, presumably, unless its like, prayer for death to the apostates etc

i like this

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i don't know about prayer but doing mushrooms and experiencing what it is like to see things without the normal layer of filters and parsers laid on top is a really easy and fun way to realize how much control a person actually has over their own perception of how life is going

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Corla Plankun posted:

i don't know about prayer but doing mushrooms and experiencing what it is like to see things without the normal layer of filters and parsers laid on top is a really easy and fun way to realize how much control a person actually has over their own perception of how life is going

absolutely. our brains paint an awful lot all over reality and there’s almost nothing we can do to avoid it. you can’t hear english and not parse it, you can’t read words and not inherently understand them.

it does appear possible to experience something like what you’re talking about without psychedelics, although I haven’t experienced it myself, I’ve read enough to believe that it’s possible to somewhat experience consciousness prior to concepts.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is certainly underappreciated in present day how much of perceived reality is a consensus illusion, created by various deeply instilled precepts and values. leading people to attempt to treat society as a scientifically established set of facts, rather than something that needs to be tended communally and rather emotionally.

Convoolio
Oct 31, 2005

There is no brain.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it is certainly underappreciated in present day how much of perceived reality is a consensus illusion, created by various deeply instilled precepts and values. leading people to attempt to treat society as a scientifically established set of facts, rather than something that needs to be tended communally and rather emotionally.

that achewood quote about how "being in trouble is a fake idea" or whatever is actually so broadly applicable as to almost be holy

we are consenting to participate in so much dumb poo poo every day that we can totally just opt out of mentally at almost no cost. brains are real and they are spectacular.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

Convoolio posted:

There is no brain.

kill the brain in your brain

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
every single thing that you can experience exists within consciousness. this is not controversial and it must be true, for something to be experienced to has to appear in consciousness.

it’s easy to imagine how objects in the world are a thing in consciousness

as are feelings
sounds. all our senses
emotions

it’s interesting to realise that even that intimately
familiar feeling of “subjectivity” itself is an appearance within consciousness.

subjectivity does not define consciousness and is not an integral part of it. it’s simply another thing within in

the sense that you are a you, a subject, floating inside your head behind your eyes? this is not a fact about consciousness itself but just a appearance within it

Convoolio posted:

There is no brain.

Corla Plankun posted:

brains are real

😰

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Corla Plankun posted:

we are consenting to participate in so much dumb poo poo every day that we can totally just opt out of mentally at almost no cost. brains are real and they are spectacular.

I generally feel this way about anxiety and worry. people seem to have it in their mind that they need to worry about something, or that its not possible to not worry or be anxious.

of course if deep grooves in the brain have been dug it’ll take time and effort to get out of those pathways, but what it seems like is that most people aren’t interested, don’t believe it’s possible, believe worrying and anxiety is worthwhile and necessary, medicate (self or otherwise) until the problem is gone.

meditation is a good start regardless toward working on these things

for example anger… requires that you constantly think over and over about how you have every right to be angry or what caused it. if you stop that thinking train the anger dissipates

hundred years ago people thought physical exercise was moronic but now we know it’s good for you. meditation is simply mental exercise

Convoolio
Oct 31, 2005

Bored Online posted:

kill the brain in your mind

Fixed

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
do you have any control over the thoughts that pop into your mind?

I think the closest thing to it, is having enough mindfulness to see a thought without “becoming it”, and so being able to let the thought come and then pass away, and as you don’t entertain the thought and dwell on it, you don’t dig the pathways in the brain related to that thought deeper, and so is less likely to come up again in the future

but outside of that? your history has determined what thought will pop in next. you don’t choose your thoughts. you instinctively know how to ask your mine to throw up thoughts, let’s say you were asked what your favourite movie from the last ten years was. either hearing that question or thinking that question in your mind will start to elicit answers from your brain that just appear in consciousness.

we have no access to this part of the mind that creates those answers.
I’ve read some accounts where very huge doses of psychedelics makes it at least seem like you’re observing the progress of free will, who knows how real that is
and interesting perhaps to wonder that it would be impossible to disprove but conceptually possible that perhaps that or a different part of your mind has its own independent consciousness.

the split brain experiments introduce some spanners into the works too, does each hemisphere have its own consciousness?

has anyone here read thinking fast and slow? it’s so excellent

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ya know when trying to figure out my own mind and motivation and stuff, like what drives me, because when I don’t have something driving me life feels like such a drag.

I have amazing kids and I love seeing them grow up and become the people they are, and a loving gf. and my job isn’t that bad really..

but for whatever reasons those things don’t drive me or make me excited

the only times in life i’m actually ok with being alive is when taking drugs but that’s extremely unsustainable and not recommended and I can’t rely on that pathway, or when I am excited about “a thing” whatever that is.

But the thing is, is it even possible to find a way to live like that? enough exciting things? maybe I need to find a line of work that gives me some level of job satisfaction.

I really want to persue photography but my partner is wary that the process of portrait photography and that you create a connection on some level with the model opens a potentially dangerous (for our relationship) door. and I see where she’s coming from, and I am really struggling with the idea of not chasing a thing that I know brings me joy and happiness. so I wonder maybe I have to only photograph dudes or old people or something. which doesn’t float my boat as much because it largely is me being in control of producing an image that shows off femininity. anyway

kind of just wish I could like die and someone else take over my life. i’m sure there are countless people around the world who would be more than happy with my existence. because I don’t want those people in my life who love me and need me to go without me, but I struggle to see a way to live day to day. if life is just day to day struggle .. ugh.. I suppose just have to focus perhaps on fact that death comes to all, and it’ll eventually be over 😞🥳

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

echinopsis posted:

every single thing that you can experience exists within consciousness. this is not controversial and it must be true, for something to be experienced to has to appear in consciousness.

you're right this isn't controversial, but it's also not particularly meaningful. it might sound insightful, but it follows directly from the definition of experience. what am i supposed to do with this information?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it becomes important when combined with the proposition that something that appears in consciousness is, by that translation from the external world to the internal one, altered. thus what you experience is not the thing-in-itself. by changing how a thing is represented in your consciousness you can change its nature (not its external-to-you nature, of course, but the only thing you have access to which is good enough). dont confuse "changing its nature" for like "making a malicious person start doing good poo poo" or "do magic tricks" or stuff like that - it's about seeing the given outputs of that system _as_ stemming from past trauma (instead of malice) or as opportunity (instead of setback), that kinda poo poo.

there are lots of people that reject the idea that consciousness necessarily mediates access to the external world. i think that it does, in fact, so mediate but it's not exactly a self-evident and foolproof thing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DELETE CASCADE posted:

you're right this isn't controversial, but it's also not particularly meaningful. it might sound insightful, but it follows directly from the definition of experience. what am i supposed to do with this information?

there’s what achmed said

and some people find it revelatory, and some people may be able to trigger an experience where it becomes apparent that everything they experience is them, aka one with the universe, and may able to see thru the sense of the self to see that there is no separation between them and the world - nondualism

I’m at the stage of still trying to notice this innately because for a lot of people that’s what enlightenment is, or at least it’s the first stage toward enlightenment

good question though. I question the benefit of discovering non-dual nature myself, I largely understand the benefit is self evident once you get there

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ya know what’s a great meditation object?

a cold shower lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis posted:

ya know what’s a great meditation object?

a cold shower lol

you should try taking one every once in awhile

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

lots if psychobabble in my religion thread

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
what exactly do you think religion is

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

if it is not gunpei yokoi and the nintendo entertainment system i claim you all know no joy

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
religion hits different when you're a woman

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Workaday Wizard posted:

just a curious coincidence though nothing man-made

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

you should try taking one every once in awhile

I started a good few months back and stopped during winter coz it’s cold but drat when it starts warming up enough and I don’t think it’s far away, drat the cold shower leaves you with a good feeling

someone said feels like mdma afterward but that’s a stretch.. but.. it does feel good afterward and it is a
great mediation object in a way

it’s mega uncomfortable and borderline painful but .. it’s also utterly safe and stops the moment you stop

if you turn it up to warm it feels mega nice

some people start cold and i can’t do rhat. just turn it down to cold at the end and trying to even count slowly to ten

i’m desperately hoping it’ll fix my life

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Workaday Wizard posted:

mmmmm dat sharia

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
edit : i presume something i said is wrong

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Aug 24, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the worst religion of all?

jedi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
right here's a question:

when I smoke weed, my creativity regarding playing music goes through the roof. it just opens doors on so many fronts so well. I try to make sure I record not just audio but also midi in case I come across a gem I can transport across the divide and work on in the straight dimension

anyway.. how do I tap into this without cannabis? obviously it's a drug and it makes the brain do things it otherwise wouldn't do but on the other hand cannabis doesn't bring it's own creativity, all that ability was already available in your current mind, just unaccessible to some extent

spose I'm just bringing it up rather than asking or proposing anything. wondering if anyone has any thoughts about that.