Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Yeah Nah?
This poll is closed.
Yeah Nah 122 53.51%
Nah Yeah 64 28.07%
Nah Yee 18 7.89%
No Yes 9 3.95%
Yes No 15 6.58%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

This isn't at all a complaint, but a hell of a roller coaster of a day here in SA where we spent the morning with most of the office packing their desks convinced a new lockdown was about to go into effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Chadzok posted:

Correct with the energy, and in that spirit, in regards to your first sentence, if the chance of catching Covid was any different (as it definitely is with the Delta strain) the statistics and calculation will change, even if the death rate remains the same, so in conclusion I have no idea what you're saying besides something dumb.

What he’s saying is incredibly simple. Using the mortality rate of people who get covid for the benefit side of your vaccination calculations is disingenuous because there is no reasonable situation in which the chance of contracting COVID in Australia approaches 100%

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Solemn Sloth posted:

What he’s saying is incredibly simple. Using the mortality rate of people who get covid for the benefit side of your vaccination calculations is disingenuous because there is no reasonable situation in which the chance of contracting COVID in Australia approaches 100%

If you live in Bondi and one of your family members come home with a positive test result, I'd argue its a lot closer to 100% than the other end of the scale.

Look, it's a stupid pedantic discussion, but my point was that making decisions on a population scale needs different information than on an individual level and the specific conclusion that he took from that PDF was misleading without context. We are both correct here because we are making different arguments. Please let me leave, I can't stop posting if you don't. I have a problem.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
All your bad statistics are pointless anyway, I have a genetic predisposition to blood clotting and have to wait for the Pfizer.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
All I'm taking from this discussion is that people under 40 shouldn't get AZ because if you do your chance of dying goes up while the chance a boomer dies of COVID goes down.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I was able to intercept an entire pallet of Pfizers first vaccine shipment. 4000 doses at 2 shots per dose. I've got it stored in a chest freezer in my garage. Ive been injecting myself every day, sometimes multiple times a day if I can stand it. The symptoms were terrible for the first few weeks. There were times I was completely paralyzed with pain, contorted like the Edvard munch painting and frozen in agony for hours. I became stronger and some of the worst symptoms subsided over time. I've been vaxmaxxing far almost 4 months now and I feel as though I'm becoming something greater than human now. I will continue to administer the injections into the same arm as long as possible. I'm increasing the dosages as much as I can stand and will maintain my journal.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Your all idiots if you have enough faith in the lnp federal government that they will stop you getting COVID than you do of dieing from something that’s killed less than 4(?) people. We will keep getting outbreaks and you have a better chance of meeting someone else who has the bad strain and then getting your Lungs ruined for life little lone getting killed by it.

We are not getting full immunization in October we are getting enough stick to Start that in October so a lot of people won’t get the 2nd shot till next year. And a lot of people will NEVER get the jab in time so worse strains will come out.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Periphery posted:

All I'm taking from this discussion is that people under 40 shouldn't get AZ because if you do your chance of dying goes up while the chance a boomer dies of COVID goes down.

You should get AZ because that dose could have gone to a boomer.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Comstar posted:

Your all idiots if you have enough faith in the lnp federal government that they will stop you getting COVID than you do of dieing from something that’s killed less than 4(?) people. We will keep getting outbreaks and you have a better chance of meeting someone else who has the bad strain and then getting your Lungs ruined for life little lone getting killed by it.

We are not getting full immunization in October we are getting enough stick to Start that in October so a lot of people won’t get the 2nd shot till next year. And a lot of people will NEVER get the jab in time so worse strains will come out.

So your lack of faith in the LNP is why you’re taking your medical advice from Scott Morrison rather than ATAGI, the AMA, or multiple state chief health officers?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

You should get AZ because that dose could have gone to a boomer.

Amputate your arm, get a prosthetic, get it injected into that. Best of both worlds.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
I super dosed on Sputnik with birdstrike in a Sydney toilet

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Centusin posted:

Based on this my chance of dying if I get covid is 0 and my chance of getting a blood clot is higher than that

https://twitter.com/MelissaLDavey/status/1410068100045705219?s=20
The numbers given there are definitely based on continued successful suppression of the virus. If suppression breaks down, your chances of dying from COVID are much higher than 0, and even much higher than the 6/100,000 they give for the 80+ age bracket. And even if suppression continues, you still have a small chance of unluckily copping the virus somewhere somehow.

1/300 New Yorkers died in the pandemic. That's all New Yorkers. And the best CFR figure I've seen among adults (i.e. young adults) is around 0.2%.

The problem here is that ScoMo has turned a simple question into a complex one. Which vaccine should we all get if we can? Pfizer. What should an average Australian do right now, in a country that is among the richest in the world but has failed to secure an adequate supply of multiple vaccines for its whole population? I'm not sure anybody really has a definitive answer.

As pointed out the AMA is recommending sticking with the expert panel recommendations. On the other hand I've heard individual doctors arguing both for and against the idea of AZ for youngsters, and to some extent their positions may be influenced by how afraid they are of further outbreaks, which is an issue reasonable people can disagree on. Suppression has worked well so far, but it's always possible that complacency, more transmissible variants and ongoing pressure from certain sectors for greater opening could undo that.

The one thing I'm sure of is that we shouldn't be facing this dilemma in the first place. What's the point of all the decaying blood and poo poo secretly caking the shriveled heart of this nation if we can't even successfully hoard the best vaccines?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Tommunist posted:

I super dosed on Sputnik with birdstrike in a Sydney toilet

:goshawk:

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
If they could guarantee I'd win the clottery and die I'd go get the jab tomorrow

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Chadzok posted:

If you live in Bondi and one of your family members come home with a positive test result, I'd argue its a lot closer to 100% than the other end of the scale.

Look, it's a stupid pedantic discussion, but my point was that making decisions on a population scale needs different information than on an individual level and the specific conclusion that he took from that PDF was misleading without context. We are both correct here because we are making different arguments. Please let me leave, I can't stop posting if you don't. I have a problem.

You’re right, individual risk/benefit is different to public health risk/benefit, but if anything it swings it more to the don’t get vaxxed side.

All the risks of vaccination are individual, but significant benefits are communal. You can freeride on other people’s vaccination to reduce the chance of you actually getting covid even further, and your individual action doesn’t meaningfully impact either herd immunity or policy settings for things like lockdowns

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
The man made a captains call, come one come all

https://www.themonthly.com.au/today/rachel-withers/2021/29/2021/1624943030/slip-tongue

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Zetsubou-san posted:

Alice Springs has entered a 72-hour lockdown

wish they'd lock down your posts

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

So ummm Guardian had a thing about Porter's rape case.

For Porter's claims of innocence to be believed there's an increasingly long list of people who must be lying.

He of course is still in cabinet and is spending thousands on his re-election.

There is something deeply sick with the federal liberal party.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Animal Friend posted:

So ummm Guardian had a thing about Porter's rape case.

For Porter's claims of innocence to be believed there's an increasingly long list of people who must be lying.

He of course is still in cabinet and is spending thousands on his re-election.

There is something deeply sick with the federal liberal party.

If you think that’s bad wait til you read some of their actual policies

ehhhhhh
May 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I think Scottys latest announcement about AZ was just the murdoch press tail wagging the liberal dog. The left media response is the typical :confused: ambivalence to muddy the waters. There are lots of impressionable young idiots that will rush out and get AZ despite the health advice, and that only opens the borders all the sooner to the benefit of big business.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Animal Friend posted:

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

ugh lol

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

ehhhhhh posted:

There are lots of impressionable young idiots that will rush out and get AZ despite the health advice, and that only opens the borders all the sooner to the benefit of big business.

He's going to open the borders early and then blame YOU PEOPLE for not getting vaccinated due to his incompetence.

There are people walking around right now who are going to catch COVID tomorrow thanks to not getting THE JAB and some of them are going to pass it along, at least for the next 1-3 weeks.

I am really surprised the Delta strain hasn't killed more people yet though, so what do I know.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Spoiler that poo poo.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Hmm maybe Scott's announcement was for GPs so they can consider giving AZ where it might be appropriate without worrying about their insurance premiums going to the moon. Naaaaaaaah

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

We need Holt to drag him to the briny deep

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Eediot Jedi posted:

Hmm maybe Scott's announcement was for GPs so they can consider giving AZ where it might be appropriate without worrying about their insurance premiums going to the moon. Naaaaaaaah
As an article in the SMH pointed out this morning, it might be better, or at least necessary, to promise compensation for people injured by the vaccine. There are all kinds of lifelong complications that could arise for anyone affected by VITT (aside from death), like stroke, kidney failure, etc.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Eediot Jedi posted:

Nah it was deffs not this well thought through.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

hambeet posted:

wish they'd lock down your posts

noice

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

quote:

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian hinted the two-week lockdown imposed on several parts of the state would not need to be extended if the numbers remained steady.

Gladys is going to loving kill us all

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

The Artificial Kid posted:

There are all kinds of lifelong complications that could arise for anyone affected by VITT (aside from death), like stroke, kidney failure, etc.

You people are crazy.

COVID-19 vaccine weekly safety report - 10-06-2021

quote:

This takes the total Australian reports of cases assessed as TTS following the AstraZeneca vaccine to 48, with 35 confirmed cases and 13 probable cases. Based on the most recent information available to us:

31 have been discharged from hospital and are recovering, with some receiving ongoing outpatient medical care
15 patients remain in hospital, including one who remains critically ill in intensive care
two people have died in hospital.

I think there is more COVID, cases in NSW *today* than there has been total bad results from AstraZeneca. There's been 30610 COVID cases and 910 deaths. Compared to 48 cases and 2 deaths (neither of which might have been caused by it!).

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Solemn Sloth posted:

It is all our fates to traverse wave after wave of covid variants named after Greek letters as the Murdoch media talks about how good gladys is.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Comstar posted:

You people are crazy.

I think there is more COVID, cases in NSW *today* than there has been total bad results from AstraZeneca. There's been 30610 COVID cases and 910 deaths. Compared to 48 cases and 2 deaths (neither of which might have been caused by it!).

You should send your posts to ATAGI I’m sure they will be extremely interested

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

A slightly different flavour for politics. There is a youtube channel called Caspian Report and it made a video 'How Australia Cheated East Timor Of Its Oil'. A decent look on the subject. Australia fucks over its defenceless neighbour and in the process hosed over itself.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

NPR Journalizard posted:

Because it will stop the state governments from closing everything down?

No it won't lol the problem isn't under 40s getting vaccinated.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Oh ffs why is she so dumb

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Comstar posted:

You people are crazy.

I'll just be careful and get the good vaccine recommended to me in/by October at the same time as I'd be getting my second shot of baby strength boomer remover.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
personally i am happy to work from home and not get vaccinated with the autism virus, i'm already on the spectrum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

are vaccinations open to under 40s now? I'll roll the dice on an AZ I like the odds