Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Yeah Nah?
This poll is closed.
Yeah Nah 122 53.51%
Nah Yeah 64 28.07%
Nah Yee 18 7.89%
No Yes 9 3.95%
Yes No 15 6.58%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

alf_pogs posted:

are vaccinations open to under 40s now? I'll roll the dice on an AZ I like the odds

Scomo said they were last night but doesn't appear to have discussed it with literally anyone else before saying it, so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Organza Quiz posted:

Scomo said they were last night but doesn't appear to have discussed it with literally anyone else before saying it, so who knows.

What does Jenny say?

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

alf_pogs posted:

are vaccinations open to under 40s now? I'll roll the dice on an AZ I like the odds
The government have indicated it's allowed but the other question is whether you can find a GP who is comfortable giving AZ to under 40s. NSW have said their mass vaccination centres won't be doing it.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Yay I'm an under 40 getting my second AZ jab today, AMA

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Someone crunched the numbers, and by the time you could get the 2nd dose of AZ to get fully vaccinated, you could have waited an extra 3 weeks and got one of the new Moderna/Pfizer shots that are coming without the risk.

Also (according to wiki) AZ is only ~60% at stopping symptomatic infections of the delta strain, so you've still got a ~40% chance to catch and spread it, so you've still got a relatively high chance to spread it to vulnerable people.

You're somewhat reducing the very unlikely possibility you'll catch and spread covid for 3-6 weeks, it's not the greatest sacrifice you're making by getting AZ right now.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

iajanus posted:

when is Madge getting flicked?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

iajanus posted:

Would you say the AZ clotting was better or worse than a kfc double down?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Eediot Jedi posted:

Every loving time that thing comes back around I'm like "Oh it wasn't that bad, I'll have it" and yeah, yeah it was.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Goffer posted:

Someone crunched the numbers, and by the time you could get the 2nd dose of AZ to get fully vaccinated, you could have waited an extra 3 weeks and got one of the new Moderna/Pfizer shots that are coming without the risk.

Also (according to wiki) AZ is only ~60% at stopping symptomatic infections of the delta strain, so you've still got a ~40% chance to catch and spread it, so you've still got a relatively high chance to spread it to vulnerable people.

You're somewhat reducing the very unlikely possibility you'll catch and spread covid for 3-6 weeks, it's not the greatest sacrifice you're making by getting AZ right now.

I think I read something the other day (a good source I know) that said that the delta strain is so infectious that you can't actually get herd immunity with AZ or any vaccine that is only 60% effective. Yes, the severity of the illness is lessened in those vaccinated but it'll still be around and loving anyone that can't get vaccinated.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Goffer posted:

Expecting the Pfizer vaccinations to arrive and be accessible on time is probably where this begins to break down.

I think it's fair to avoid AZ for young people due to the expert advice, but I wouldn't blame anyone for getting it anyway just purely based on not expecting the government to offer you anything better any time soon.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Expecting the Pfizer vaccinations to arrive and be accessible on time is probably where this begins to break down.

I think it's fair to avoid AZ for young people due to the expert advice, but I wouldn't blame anyone for getting it anyway just purely based on not expecting the government to offer you anything better any time soon.

I booked in reflexively after Scomo made the announcement but am now leaning towards cancelling based purely on the Pfizer full shot timeframe and higher effectiveness against Delta - but yes, this is a good point.

The Pfizer supply chain is apparently solid; we're not going to see something again like we did with the EU blocking our AZ shipments, or so I'm told. But the phased rollout is presumably based on uptake among older age groups. I'm in my 30s so should be in the next one to open up. But are they going to open up on "schedule" if the boomers all collectively cross their arms and refuse to take AZ? If that happens, maybe the government is more likely to just extend the timeframe out and let the boomers have Pfizer? So even if the Pfizer shipments keep rolling in on schedule, AZ is basically off the table and 30-39-year-olds don't end up becoming eligible until like January or something?

edit - and all the stuff about variant effectiveness, plus the fact that we've got more Pfizer and Moderna coming in down the track, means anyone who gets AZ now is probably getting a Pfizer or Moderna booster in 2022. So in the long run it doesn't matter, it's just about how likely you think it is that Delta will run rampant in the next 6-12 months. (I don't think that's very likely at all since our society and most of our government still clearly has no tolerance for any community transmission, and if anything that's getting stricter, not looser; Gladys locked down to late but still did it way sooner than Dan did 12 months ago.)

freebooter fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 1, 2021

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Old people not wanting to do something to better society and give young people a future is like their entire schtick. I do not expect that to change any time soon.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

freebooter posted:

Gladys locked down to late but still did it way sooner than Dan did 12 months ago.)

The thing is for Vic, it was very new. That NSW knows it has a much more infectious strain and still wanting to play chicken with it is infuriating.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

The categories for young people to get Pfizer are pretty broad, if you have any family members that work in aged care or health you can book. Or even if not, really. They don't ask on site and the booking system does not interrogate you.

I mean, my idiot boomer parents aren't getting theirs, so gently caress it. I'm having it. The more people who get it the better, and also the more pressure there will be to order more, faster.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Eediot Jedi posted:

The thing is for Vic, it was very new. That NSW knows it has a much more infectious strain and still wanting to play chicken with it is infuriating.

Yeah, I didn't mean it as a criticism of Vic or an exculpation of NSW, just a sign that no Australian jurisdiction will ever let it get that bad again.

Launchpad McQuack
Oct 21, 2010

Laserface posted:

Old people not wanting to do something to better society and give young people a future is like their entire schtick. I do not expect that to change any time soon.

This guy gets it. They don't care about us or anything young people are doing for them. A lot of have zero intentions of getting the vaccine.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

birdstrike posted:

when is Madge getting flicked?

I don't think we can afford to do it, we're pretty poo poo financially.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Eediot Jedi posted:

Everything is worse than a double down because a double down is excellent

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I just lied on the pfizer booking form and said i was a health worker, no proof required.

still cant get pfizer until september.

and you cant change your vacciniation centre once registered.

true blue aussie website.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 1, 2021

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

NSW records 24 new COVID-19 cases, half were in community before being detected...

Scomo congratulating NSW for not going into lockdown sure got old fast.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SecretOfSteel posted:

NSW records 24 new COVID-19 cases, half were in community before being detected...

Scomo congratulating NSW for not going into lockdown sure got old fast.

and yet everyone immediately forgets and there are no consequences.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Laserface posted:

I just lied on the pfizer booking form and said i was a health worker, no proof required.

still cant get pfizer until september.

and you cant change your vacciniation centre once registered.

true blue aussie website.

Depending on what state you’re in they may check proof of eligibility at your appointment

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Cancelled my AZ appointment and frankly feel guilty about it. If it turns out they do gently caress up the Pfizer supply and/or start giving it to boomers so the under-40 eligibility gets pushed even further back, I'll book back in, but I really feel like I shouldn't have to be weighing up the circumstances and making individual decisions like this.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Laserface posted:

o7

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
If you know someone eligible in nsw just send them a message asking for the code and then just say you work in ages care or whatever.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

freebooter posted:

Cancelled my AZ appointment and frankly feel guilty about it. If it turns out they do gently caress up the Pfizer supply and/or start giving it to boomers so the under-40 eligibility gets pushed even further back, I'll book back in, but I really feel like I shouldn't have to be weighing up the circumstances and making individual decisions like this.

It's fine man. Pfizer have been good on delivery so far just jump on it as soon as available. I'll be doing that and I'm comfortable waiting a couple of months given less than 0.2% of people in this country have actually had covid.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

My concern is less about Pfizer's delivery and more about mass AZ hesitancy in the boomer cohort leading the government to delay the opening up of further age-based phases until everybody over 50 has been offered Pfizer.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Hand out tranq guns and AZ darts to all millenials.

Let the Boomer hunt begin.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

If you dont accept the boomer-approved vaccine you should be removed from the list of vaccines and also have your franking credits transferred to a young person.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

The vaccine rollout has definitely been confusing, I'm up in FNQ and online checks only show AZ availability to over 60s and nothing else still.

However if you call the hotline, anyone up here can get Pfizer now regardless of age or occupation, apparently something like 100/day (not sure if it's the specific local hospital for that number).

Just booked today and only need to wait 5 days to get the first dose which is impressive, it might be one of the few times being more regional has done something useful.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Periphery posted:

I think I read something the other day (a good source I know) that said that the delta strain is so infectious that you can't actually get herd immunity with AZ or any vaccine that is only 60% effective. Yes, the severity of the illness is lessened in those vaccinated but it'll still be around and loving anyone that can't get vaccinated.

Well good thing that AZ isnt just 60% effective then. It's been posted in this thread before, AZ is closer to 80% two shots at the three month interval. The real problem for herd immunity is the dumb rear end messaging on vaccines and the complaceny about how Covid isnt really here - on display in this thread as well, not just in Boomerland - means not enough people will eventually take them up.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Well good thing that AZ isnt just 60% effective then. It's been posted in this thread before, AZ is closer to 80% two shots at the three month interval. The real problem for herd immunity is the dumb rear end messaging on vaccines and the complaceny about how Covid isnt really here - on display in this thread as well, not just in Boomerland - means not enough people will eventually take them up.

I think things are definitely helped by straw manning people who decide to follow medical advice rather than Morrison’s latest press conference brain fart.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
If you watched the press conference where Morris announced the policy it’s painfully obvious he was making it up as he went along, in agreement with the reporters question. That we have to pretend that this was a crafted policy and have dueling editorials about whether or not it’s been implemented effectively makes me feel like I’m going crazy. Just watch the clip, it’s obvious the decision was made on the spot and without consultation.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

hooman posted:

and yet everyone immediately forgets and there are no consequences.

Im not sure. There's a lot of Scomo hate on multiple WA facebook groups. Reminding people he tried to sue us, that he's partly the reason we're in lockdown. Match that to Christian Porter allegedly raping someone and I think the WA Liberal vote is going to tank hard.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Five more poison juice clots have occurred.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
One dead, too

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Konomex posted:

Im not sure. There's a lot of Scomo hate on multiple WA facebook groups. Reminding people he tried to sue us, that he's partly the reason we're in lockdown. Match that to Christian Porter allegedly raping someone and I think the WA Liberal vote is going to tank hard.

WA people love the Libs federally. Loads of people here completely and sincerely believe that they're excellent at managing the economy and blah blah blah. That being said, I kinda hope all this has shaken peoples blind faith in them because it loving sucks seeing a bunch of people vote 1 LIB, wonder why things don't get better, then refuse to acknowledge that the party they support is a large part of the reason why everything's terrible.

I do look forward to the WA Libs having to do something they've not bothered doing for this upcoming federal election, which is "actually try". It would have to involve previously-unheard of things such as "speaking to people they don't agree with", "addressing voter concerns directly", "getting rid of the sex pests" and "having to actually change their policies to be representative of the people who vote for them".

... And I don't think any of the above is going to happen. People will still vote for them because it's easier to vote for dreams of you, personally, someday being obscenely rich than it is to vote for making things even incrementally better for the most disadvantaged.

Call me cynical, but guess this election will make me either right or happy.

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010
Got Pfizer in NSW mass hub. Can confirm the eligibility check is “are you the immediate family member of a healthcare worker” and that’s it.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Second AZ jab done. Arm's sore, but not dead. Calling it a win for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

How many shares in CSL do you have?