Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Yeah Nah?
This poll is closed.
Yeah Nah 122 53.51%
Nah Yeah 64 28.07%
Nah Yee 18 7.89%
No Yes 9 3.95%
Yes No 15 6.58%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Exactly, the Zeeks had this sorted years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

signing up for the white dingos asap

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

froglet posted:

As a Perth person, I'm actually pretty worried that we aren't prepared if it gets out into the community again. Things have been great in Perth, but I imagine if one or two people caught it, they could quickly spread it far and wide before anyone knew what was going on.

Pretty much nobody here wears masks, we've been able to go go the pub for months, people aren't great about giving the 1.5m at shops, and I imagine most of us have forgotten almost everything from earlier in the year because we haven't had any community transmission.

Edit: I hope I'm just paranoid and wrong! :tinfoil:

Same but CBR

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

freebooter posted:

Looking forward to more tantrums about it from Sydneysiders

yawn

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Yeast posted:

Good call.

They just instigated exactly that.

All of NSW is now closed out as of tomorrow night.

3 days for infections to show up from parties tonight. 1 day for test results.

See you all in lockdown next week. Wouldn’t be surprised if Victoria does it and NSW is later.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Comstar posted:

3 days for infections to show up from parties tonight. 1 day for test results.

See you all in lockdown next week. Wouldn’t be surprised if Victoria does it and NSW is later.

God you loving doomers are the worst.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
doom and gloomism isnt great but whats way worse is actually all the people who aggressively normalise sociopathy

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

cover your yawn with a mask so you don't spread covid

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

If Victoria is locking the border you can still drive to Sydney right? Its only a one way lock right?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Pleasant Friend posted:

If Victoria is locking the border you can still drive to Sydney right? Its only a one way lock right?

No restrictions as of now going that way

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

CelestialScribe posted:

God you loving doomers are the worst.

One of the infection sites was the boxing day sales at fountain gate. Based on what I've seen concerning mask wearing, we're most likely hosed. So yeah, if cases spike, get ready for the next lockdown.

Hopefully the Vic government learns that the second someone in NSW coughs, seal the border shut because they are hopeless at stopping the spread.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
even in the elysium iron ore fields of wa, I convinced my mum and sister to skip the boxing day sales this year

also happy new year auspol, it's going to be worse than this year

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

x1o posted:

One of the infection sites was the boxing day sales at fountain gate. Based on what I've seen concerning mask wearing, we're most likely hosed. So yeah, if cases spike, get ready for the next lockdown.

Just shut the gently caress up already.

What you’re basically saying is that Victoria hasn’t improved contact tracing at all. Which simply isn’t the case.

I get you might have had a lovely 2020 like all of us but it’s simply too early to tell whether this will be contained or turn into something worse.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Just open mouth slack jaw wonderment at someone considering covid traveling from Sydney to Melbourne, past the NSW contact tracing and controls, remaining undetected for up to a week and half during a period of big social movements and just before another night of frenzied social gathering as too early to tell if the situation is out of hand.

It is bad. We're going to need incredible luck on top of more personal sacrifices, and even if we are that lucky, the magic of having zero known community transmission is gone and it'll back to low key every day dread for a while. Which some people deal with by venting their fear into the void, which for some reason really loving offends you?

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Eediot Jedi posted:

Just open mouth slack jaw wonderment at someone considering covid traveling from Sydney to Melbourne, past the NSW contact tracing and controls, remaining undetected for up to a week and half during a period of big social movements and just before another night of frenzied social gathering as too early to tell if the situation is out of hand.

It is too early to tell. That’s how data works.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Aw poo poo the stove is on fire, let me grab my thermometer before the fire blanket.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

crepeface posted:

also happy new year auspol, it's going to be worse than this year
I wish I could say thanks for the sarcastic quip but considering where we are from 12 months ago I would have to say this is a positive take on the situation.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

CelestialScribe posted:

Just shut the gently caress up already.

What you’re basically saying is that Victoria hasn’t improved contact tracing at all. Which simply isn’t the case.

I get you might have had a lovely 2020 like all of us but it’s simply too early to tell whether this will be contained or turn into something worse.

gently caress off you barely sentient Petrie dish. We’ve got confirmed high risk locations going back to the 21st, and now two shopping centres, a cinema and a church.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

It’s loving incredible that the shrillest poster when it came to Dictator Dan not letting him lick doorknobs 5.1km from his house is now railing against the idea of responding early so we don’t get to that stage again.

Low risk and appropriate activity in a pandemic: whatever the gently caress celestialscribe personally wants to do at this very instant.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

It’s loving incredible that the shrillest poster when it came to Dictator Dan not letting him lick doorknobs 5.1km from his house is now railing against the idea of responding early so we don’t get to that stage again.

Low risk and appropriate activity in a pandemic: whatever the gently caress celestialscribe personally wants to do at this very instant.

When did I say I’m against responding early? Please quote me. I’ve already said the restrictions put in place from yesterday are completely reasonable. Depending on what comes up in the next two days, more might be necessary. Maybe not. Let’s just see what happens.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I think you’ll find that we are all going to die.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
I cancelled heading to Sydney to spend time with my family, it sucks but I really don't want that covid poo poo. I'm gobsmacked that Berejiklian didn't mandate masks, the simplest measure we all should be lcomfortable with by now, yet she remains defiant in light of experts saying it's gone on too long without them.

Stop trying to be the cool aunt letting the kids do what they want, while they're shoving party pies in the vcr and eating dirt out of the pot plants.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

hambeet posted:

I think you’ll find that we are all going to die.

loving spoilers mate. Unbelievable.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

CelestialScribe posted:

When did I say I’m against responding early? Please quote me.

CelestialScribe posted:

Depending on what comes up in the next two days, more might be necessary. Maybe not. Let’s just see what happens.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

I don't even know what point you're trying to make here. I said the decision to reduce visitor numbers and introduce masks for indoors is good.

If you're trying to attack me for saying we shouldn't go into stage 4 lockdown right now, then go ahead I guess? Sorry for thinking there can be some actual nuance in our response here rather than re-introducing curfews and 5km limits right away.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
We should exercise prudence, I have a trip to a nice park planned for today

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

We should exercise prudence, I have a trip to a nice park planned for today

What do you suggest we do, then?

The default response to new outbreaks cannot be "immediately go to stage 4" because there will inevitably be new cases that pop up until everyone is vaccinated. It isn't sustainable. Instead just introduce reasonable restrictions as circumstances present themselves - like right now.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CelestialScribe posted:

The default response to new outbreaks cannot be "immediately go to stage 4" because there will inevitably be new cases that pop up until everyone is vaccinated. It isn't sustainable. Instead just introduce reasonable restrictions as circumstances present themselves - like right now.

The problem is nsw didn't introduce reasonable restrictions.
That effects other states with open borders

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

This pandemic is completely unknown territory. There's no way NSW could reasonably have predicted a limited area lockdown in a big city could fail, with no prominent examples of that happening. Likewise there's no examples of immediately implementing strong lockdown measures until you have the data leading to a positive outcomes. All we can do is wait and see if half measures and dumb luck can save us from looking like we overreacted, truly the worst outcome of all.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

EoinCannon posted:

The problem is nsw didn't introduce reasonable restrictions.
That effects other states with open borders

Yeah I agree?

Eediot Jedi posted:

This pandemic is completely unknown territory. There's no way NSW could reasonably have predicted a limited area lockdown in a big city could fail, with no prominent examples of that happening. Likewise there's no examples of immediately implementing strong lockdown measures until you have the data leading to a positive outcomes. All we can do is wait and see if half measures and dumb luck can save us from looking like we overreacted, truly the worst outcome of all.

So offer a solution. What do you want to happen now?

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

NSW to stay open for economic prosperity

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CelestialScribe posted:

you not to post anymore

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
please ban celestialscribe tia

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

CelestialScribe posted:

Lol

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Just got done talking with a mate who was working at a shopping centre last night in Geelong. Apparently they had at least three new year's parties going on in the car parks.

My reaction was naturally, "What the gently caress, why would anyone hold a party there?" and his thoughts were that it's because there are no restrictions on the number of people being in a car park and all the cops were either at the beach or in Torquay/Lorne so there was no one to stop them.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that it was a Facebook thing, with people rules lawyering their way into holding large parties.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

CelestialScribe posted:

Could have started by just skipping the indoor New Year’s Eve gathering

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

snickothemule posted:

I cancelled heading to Sydney to spend time with my family, it sucks but I really don't want that covid poo poo. I'm gobsmacked that Berejiklian didn't mandate masks, the simplest measure we all should be lcomfortable with by now, yet she remains defiant in light of experts saying it's gone on too long without them.

Stop trying to be the cool aunt letting the kids do what they want, while they're shoving party pies in the vcr and eating dirt out of the pot plants.
My partner and I were convinced that Berejiklian was loving up the Crossroads cluster and that a lockdown was needed, and we were wrong. What we have right now is crazy alarming compared to zero cases, and needs to be shut down. But it's important to note how different the scale of our problem right now is compared to overseas. Since the Northern Beaches outbreak happened, a Sydneysider's daily chance of catching COVID has been somewhere around 1:300,000-500,000, and our test positivity has been generally between 0.01% and 0.1% (I don't think it's actually reached 0.1%, but I haven't gone through the numbers with that question in mind). Chances are that the actual spread of COVID is being very accurately measured and monitored given the sheer number of tests being done to find ~10 positives per day.

I'm not saying mandatory masks are definitely NOT a good idea...but I'm not sure it's clearcut that they ARE a good idea. Mandatory masks for everyone in Sydney, going on for weeks (it can't stop the day we hit zero cases, because we don't know if the next day will have 20 cases) could potentially cost millions and millions of dollars for every case prevented, and given the dynamics of the current Sydney outbreak, really might not make the difference between runaway spread vs. contraction and elimination of the virus (because current methods might achieve re-elimination of the virus). Importantly I'm not saying this applies to other places where masks have been politicised. In a country where 1-2% of the people you meet might have COVID, everyone should wear masks. But in Sydney it's more like 1/25,000 people infected, and most of them are in isolation.

I'm no fan of the Libs in general or Berejiklian in particular, but I am reassured for the moment by the job they did last time. I would have liked them to impose stronger restrictions for Christmas and New Years, but the pictures I've seen from New Years suggest there was possibly enough grassroots caution to make up for the government's lack of stringency.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Last time tons of people were wearing masks but. Like everyone's behaviour is totally different

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

bandaid.friend posted:

Last time tons of people were wearing masks but. Like everyone's behaviour is totally different
I don't know what the figures say, but when I look around me I see more people wearing masks than in the previous outbreak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

The Artificial Kid posted:

Mandatory masks for everyone in Sydney, going on for weeks (it can't stop the day we hit zero cases, because we don't know if the next day will have 20 cases) could potentially cost millions and millions of dollars for every case prevented

How do you figure