Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Yeah Nah?
This poll is closed.
Yeah Nah 122 53.51%
Nah Yeah 64 28.07%
Nah Yee 18 7.89%
No Yes 9 3.95%
Yes No 15 6.58%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Comments and like/dislike counts disabled I wonder why :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

The Peccadillo posted:

Labor sucks so loving bad Jesus christ why would you be a debt freak now of all times you loser

https://twitter.com/SenKatyG/status/1349944399275421700

laybahs mess, mista speeka!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Google says it will pull its search engine from Australia if it is forced to pay news publishers to host their content :rip:

So the reason why Morrison is so gung-ho about this is because of Murdoch yeah? I'm still not sure I understand what the issue is. If news articles surface via Google search people still click-through yeah?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Flannelette posted:

They can obscure the headlines from the search engine any time they like.

Then they'd probably whine about their SEO being all hosed-up. Or they could just make every single headline some clickbait bullshit.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Worth noting that Google has already made deals in other countries, most recently France: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/01/google-agrees-to-pay-french-news-sites-to-send-them-traffic/.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Konomex posted:

I would willingly vote out my federal and state members if Google threatened to withdraw their services because the government were being fuckwits. News sites can put robots on their pages and tell google to gently caress off, but they don't because whilst they still lose views to lazy assholes reading headlines and nothing else, they gain enough click throughs to keep them floating. Modern news services need to survive via subscriptions, and I think all the viable ones have realised this and are pushing for it heavily.

The government getting involved at this point and regulating something that should not be an issue is dumb. They have always had the ability to opt out of google, pushing the government to make google pay to use their services is dumb.

As I posited earlier:

Pile Of Garbage posted:

So the reason why Morrison is so gung-ho about this is because of Murdoch yeah?

I've zero proof to back that up beyond a history of the federal Liberal party being beholden to Newscorp to an absurd degree. I really feel like this boils down to the aggrieved news outlets being greedy and taking advantage of a political situation which could get them the lions share (All the clicks, billions of clicks, clicks on clicks on clicks!!!)

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 23, 2021

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

...who?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Hyped for Mediawatch coming back next week

Same. It's the only show I watch on the ABC next to the news. Good poo poo IMO.

Big Willy Style posted:

saw the media watch bloke on the goods line yesterday

Hello, I'm Paul Barry, and welcome to the goods line.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Perth lockdown update: things going pretty well, no more local cases discovered. Went for a wander through the CBD earlier to run some errands, hardly anyone around which is good, also everyone I saw was wearing a mask which is extra good. Hopefully gonna be back to normal come next week.

Perth bushfires update: gently caress

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Yeast posted:

There is no front desk person. There’s armed ADF guards, federal police and nurses in full PPE.

Really? I live in the Perth CBD and often go by the two hotel quarantine sites (Novotel on Murray St and Intercontinental on Hay St) where I've seen ADF personnel but none of them are armed (They don't even have sidearms). Also I haven't seen any AFP either, only WAPOL and private security.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/Max_Fisher/status/1362116659977281538

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

hambeet posted:

Is it genocide because of facebook or genocide with facebook?

First one, then the other.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Ethics_Gradient posted:

They're getting a kicking in the comments lmao

quote:

New post on whirlpool: help I'm a landlord and am getting bullied on OzBargain should I contact the esafety commissioner?

I'd like to see that happen so that Julie can tell em to gently caress off

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Re WA state election: it was cool reading here about Froglet and co running booths and stuff, how can I get into the pipeline to do that next election?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Re WA state election: it was cool reading here about Froglet and co running booths and stuff, how can I get into the pipeline to do that next election?

Cheers thanks!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Is it just me or does this decision by ASIO seem like a way to down-play the fact that domestic terrorism is increasingly being committed by far-right white fascist groups? https://www.asio.gov.au/violent-extremism-terminology.html

quote:

ASIO protects Australia and Australians from threats to their security. As national security threats evolve, ASIO’s ability to respond must also evolve. This includes ensuring our terminology remains fit for purpose in a complex and changing threat environment.

At ASIO we’re conscious that the names and labels we use are important. Words matter. They can be very powerful in how they frame an issue and how people think about it.

For this reason, ASIO will adopt language that reinforces the fact that our counter-terrorism investigations focus on individuals or groups based on their use or advocacy of violence. ASIO does not investigate people solely because of their political views, so labels like ‘left’ and right’ often distract from the real nature of the threat.

We will now refer to two categories: ideologically motivated violent extremism and religiously motivated violent extremism.

ASIO has decided to make this change because the current labels are no longer fit for purpose; they no longer adequately describe the phenomena we’re seeing. The new terminology focusses on an individual or group’s support for violence, which is what triggers ASIO’s interest.

However it is important to note that these are umbrella terms to describe the threat categories. There may be times where ASIO needs to describe a specific threat that sits beneath them.

We are seeing a growing number of individuals and groups that don’t fit on the left–right spectrum at all; instead, they’re motivated by fear of societal collapse or a specific social or economic grievance or conspiracy.

This new language will allow ASIO to accurately and objectively describe those violent extremists who would seek to do us harm, regardless of their particularly ideology or religious views.

We want to be clear about who poses a terrorist or violent extremist threat and why ASIO is interested in them. Australians should not think that their security service is looking into them because of their political or religious views.

As well as being more accurate, ASIO’s new terminology will offer more flexibility in referring to emerging threats. It allows us to make sure our advice is readily understood, and better reflects our role within the laws under which we operate.

Also I got a hearty :lol: outta the "ASIO does not investigate people solely because of their political views" line.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Halloween Liker posted:

Whats the deal with Anthony Klan, the The Klaxon guy?

https://twitter.com/Anthony_Klan

At a glance he seems like someone who saw the light and escaped out the rear end of The Australian to then become an independent journo. Maybe he got bitten by Chomsky in 2019 who knows. Could still be a poo poo though. I only looked at the Twitter profile I'm not going to read poo poo.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Bad news, the COVID-19 vaccine is not a potential replacement for your garbage FTTN NBN service: https://www.health.gov.au/initiatives-and-programs/covid-19-vaccines/is-it-true/is-it-true-can-covid-19-vaccines-connect-me-to-the-internet

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

birdstrike posted:

going to get my Sputnik V dose (which works without killing people) personally delivered by sukhoi-47

Not controversial enough. Now if it was a PLAA J-20 then that would hit the spot.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

That dickhead Stuart Robert was just on ABC News Breakfast saying that the ADF mission in Afghanistan against the Taliban was a success :lol:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Jordies usually posts like 2-3 videos a week and yet he hasn't posted another video since that one which was just over a week ago. I think he may have gotten himself in the poo poo this time :lol:

Edit: he's even gone quiet on Twitter and has made only four RTs since that video, no actual tweets or replies. Either he is cooked or he's been told to shut the gently caress up by legal counsel.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jun 12, 2021

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Yeah basically. YouTuber vs. state deputy premier is quite possibly the dumbest and lowest-stakes contest imaginable, the outcome of which will be entirely meaningless. We might have some good laughs along the way though I guess.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Just realised what that video reminds me of: those god awful "prank" videos on YT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

lmao what