Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Yeah Nah?
This poll is closed.
Yeah Nah 122 53.51%
Nah Yeah 64 28.07%
Nah Yee 18 7.89%
No Yes 9 3.95%
Yes No 15 6.58%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

GoldStandardConure posted:

*relaxes in west australian*

You scrunts better keep posting in here. I'm old and hate change and don't like discord, but do you like all of you.

EDIT: Also I wouldn't relax too hard mate, from some rumours I've heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

its campaign season, i haven't relaxed for months

i am protesting greyhound racing for new years eve because i am such an exciting person

Regarding covid, stay safe lung poverty ghost.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

even loving covid isn't going to stop me from stealing this election from mcgowan!!!

Get McGowowned.

norp posted:

Fortress WA wants to hear your rumours

Nothing concrete, just that theres an assumption that covid will break quarantine again now that we're open to the east again and it's only a matter of time until our next lockdown, so basically keep doing as much covid safety as possible.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Eediot Jedi posted:

McGowan: deploy the emus.

Export the Emus.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

The Artificial Kid posted:

Well the problem isn't for any one person, it's imposing the cost (and inconvenience) on 5 million people in a state that had 3 positives from 32,000 tests in the previous 24 hour period. Even if you assume that those 32,000 tests were nothing but a random sample of the population (rather than a sample biased towards people with symptoms or exposure), that would still only be 1:10,000 people, but in reality the flat case counts over the last couple of weeks on a background of very extensive and widespread testing suggest that pretty much all cases are being captured as they emerge (otherwise they'd be setting off more runaway outbreaks and generating ever-growing numbers of cases).

Like I said, I would never refuse to mask up, or recommend that someone else not mask up. I'm not even really against mandatory masking, I just think we should stay rational. I'm not convinced that mandatory masking is a necessary, life-changing measure for NSW right now. (Edit - and just to be clear if the NSW government imposed mandatory masking I also wouldn't be actively objecting to that).

I also suspect this debate is contaminated by the huge importance of masks in other parts of the world. Masks have become a symbolic and needlessly politicised issue in countries where they're desperately needed. But Australia has a pretty good COVID toolbox, and masks haven't necessarily been a huge part of it, not because masks don't have their value, but because Australia has successfully deployed much bigger guns (border control, lockdowns and contact tracing) that many other countries have failed or been unable to use.
I agree completely with the principal you're talking about, but in NSW with its contact tracing system, will it go 10 --> 100 --> 1000? It didn't after the Crossroads cluster, and since the Northern Beaches outbreak began so far numbers have been reassuringly flat (noisy, but not skyrocketing over time). Widespread testing, including exhortations for anyone, anywhere with any symptoms to get tested have so far failed to turn up lots of disconnected cases that would suggest a hidden epidemic all over the city/state.

I just had a thought experiment, ignoring covid, because of the precautions we took, we basically eliminated this year's flu season. So what's the economic cost of having a flu season?

Here's my rough math.

Thanks for convincing me we should have a national and permanent mask mandate given it pays for itself in 2 years and is profitable afterwards.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

What needs to be proved here is that masks would prevent a lot of seasonal flu. Lockdowns and increased hand hygiene are also hugely responsible for the reduction in flu burden this year, possibly much more so than the sporty mask use that NSW has seen.

Yeah, it's almost like a strictly financial analysis is a poor and inherently reductive way to make decisions about public health.

:shrug:

EDIT:

freebooter posted:

What isn't sensible is calculating the cost of masks as spread over the public as a whole in comparison with the ~*~Economic Impact~*~ of further cases and an outbreak growing, unless you're a policy wonk sitting in the Treasury basement with a calculator and a spreadsheet. I don't give a gently caress about the $20-$30 I spent on a bunch of reuseable masks earlier this year and I don't give a gently caress about Australia's GDP growth for the next quarter. I do give a gently caress about whether I can continue safely living my day-to-day life and visit family interstate again.

This.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I never called for a strictly financial analysis. Financial cost is just one component of a cost-benefit analysis. But the inconvenience of masks is pretty small, and pretty hard to quantify, and the negative health impacts are likely negligible (unless someone discovers that they cause crippling depression or PTSD or something). I've never heard of a healthcare worker who "couldn't wear a mask" at work.

Well, if it cost everyone an average of 10c per day (which I think is a very conservative estimate), and went on for six weeks, that would be $22 million. How many cases will it prevent? That's very hard to estimate, but if we imagine that the current test-and-trace program is on track to eliminate the outbreak after another 100 cases, and the masks bring it down to 50 cases, then that's $500,000 per case.

But how much does masking actually cost? The first information available on google suggests that that a decent reusable mask will cost around $20 https://www.finder.com.au/reusable-face-mask-cost-analysis + shipping (which might be shared). I don't have any better information to hand (I've only used disposable masks because that's what I'm used to).

So that brings our cost over 6 weeks up to about 50c/day, or $2.5 million per case avoided in the above scenario.

Now the true number of cases avoided might be higher or lower, the actual cost of masks might be higher or lower, but there are very realistic scenarios where universal masking might be a poor use of money.

Could have fooled me chief.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

What factors do you want to specifically introduce into the analysis to shatter my [sarcasm]rock solid conclusion[/sarcasm] that masks may or may not be a cost-efficient intervention? Are there amazing benefits to masks other than preventing the spread of respiratory illnesses? Do they put a spring in every step and a song in every heart? Do they prevent osteoarthritis or lower infant mortality? What are the non-financial factors that you think are desperately missing from my internet forum comment that universal masking might or might not be a financially expensive way to prevent cases in a low-case environment where effective contact tracing is in play?

My general problem isn't with the specifics of your analysis (though there are defs some areas for improvement), my problem is with the analysis existing in the first place and you making an argument that "we could save lives, but we shouldn't because that would just be soooo expensive". If that wasn't your intent in your post, that's fine, but that's exactly how it read.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Hear me out here guys, if the gas plant doesn't explode should we be spending money on PPE?

EDIT: ^^^ Hell I made an economic argument for permanent mask mandate.

The problem I have is that while economically rational we are in a global pandemic, the economically rational position is to vaccinate the elderly, poor and vulnerable last since their deaths have the least economic impact. That doesn't protect any person making that argument from being called a loving ghoul. Just because it's the right economic decision to not recall faulty parts and instead pay out the unlawful death suits doesn't make it a loving moral position.

hooman fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 2, 2021

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Revised Auspol Verboten Topics List 2021:
Premium chicken establishments
Bus decorations
Illegal/Unlawful
Water Bottles
Bike Helmets
Desert Trash City
Economic Impact of Pandemic Mask wearing

Julvin Rulhop has spoken.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So many people have never heard that high pitch tones will not wake kids and smoke alarm manufacturers sure as hell aren't making any particular effort to educate people that their products do not work for the most vulnerable age bracket.

What the gently caress, how is this not common knowledge? How am I only hearing about this now?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Serrath posted:

I don’t know how else to explain my point but to try to rephrase it

Comparing masks to colonoscopies or serial ECGs to mask wearing can never be a reasonable comparison because we have broad epidemiological data and enough is known about colon cancer and heart attacks to input into our health calculus to make decisions. If you know the incidence of a disease, the cost borne to the health system from that disease both treated and untreated, average number of years saved/lost, and other parameters, you can work out costs per life saved and make health decisions about what broad screening tests you should be applying.

You don’t know these things about coronavirus. We know the number of Pap smears we need to do in order to save one life. It is impossible to know how many masks will equal one life saved. You mentioned that countries with higher incidence of coronavirus should prioritize masks more than Australia but the incubation period of the virus means that we have no way of knowing how many undiagnosed infections we have out there. Perhaps the 8 cases they caught today is the worst of it and we’re on the way to having this controlled... or perhaps these 8 are just the first to declare themselves after we did a great job of ignoring health advice as we celebrated Christmas and New Years.

Any good prevention measure is cheap, easy to use, and easy to distribute to the community. We’re not talking about invasive medical devices that cost thousands of dollars per person but we are talking about a measure that can add an extra level of safety in case our existing measures fail.

Thank you for doing a much better job of explaining this than I was able to.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Nah I get it.

Also I understand turning off the comments because it could be the nicest and best ever ad and still have the algorithm display only the most horrendous top comments.

Youtube comments are poison. Everyone should disable them at all times.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Singapore has gone back on their word on not allowing police to access their coronavirus tracing app.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/singapore-police-can-access-covid-19-contact-tracing-data-for-criminal-investigations/

What.. a ... loving... surprise.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
In actual Australian Politics News:

SBS Australia posted:

Detainees at Christmas Island Detention Centre started rioting on Tuesday night, with footage appearing to show at least one building burning and a number of people up on the roof.

In one video of the incident shared on social media, a man is heard saying: "This is how frustrated people are".

"They are burning the roof. They are sick and tired of being treated like s***," he says.

"Arab people, white people, African people, they're sick and tired of Peter Dutton and Scott Morrison, the Prime Minister of Australia, they're treating us like a dog."
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/compound-set-on-fire-at-christmas-island-detention-centre-as-detainees-riot-over-indefinite-cruelty

Meanwhile in Australia:

the independant posted:

The UK’s drug regulator has rejected claims by Australia’s prime minister, Scott Morrison, that it is not testing the safety of each batch of the Covid-19 vaccine.

Mr Morrison suggested Britain was “cutting corners” with safety checks, as he tried to explain why Australia had not yet begun its vaccination programme.

“They’re not testing batches of vaccines before they’re disseminated across the population, is my understanding,” he told the 3AW radio station when asked about the British roll-out – which has seen 1.3 million people get the jab over the past four weeks.

He also argued that Australia was not facing an “emergency” in rising case numbers and hospitalisations like the UK. “So we don’t have to cut corners. We don’t have to take unnecessary risks,” said Mr Morrison.

Amazing, claiming people are cutting corners on the vaccine, our loving prime minister auspol. What a piece of poo poo.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Urcher posted:

Scott Morrison put it poorly but is on the right track about Australia taking the safety of the vaccine more seriously than other countries that are doing faster rollouts.

Here's a thread from the chair of the advisory committee on vaccines that gives some detail

https://twitter.com/peripatetical/status/1346036208116269059

Thanks for this, it was the phrasing that shat me, you can describe Australia's approach to rollout as cautious without describing other countries as cutting corners.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I just looked at Craig Kelly's facebook page and it's also full of "X Place Had Coldest Day in 50 years! SO MUCH FOR GLOBAL WARMING" and the most broke brained boomer takes imaginable.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

CelestialScribe posted:

Thanks, I'm no longer the worst person in this thread

You never were.

:argh: HAAAAMBEEEEET :argh:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
^^^ Are any outlets reporting similar to the above? Because that seems pretty dire.

same except to stop (more) skin cancer

Wish they'd put a black cloth mask around your posts.

hooman fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 9, 2021

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Good.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

I appreciate there are a lot of people out there who are being a bit bleeding heart about this, and who are confecting outrage, but they should know that those lives matter too. All lives matter.

Any form of violence, any form of protest that ends in death and destruction is abhorred, The United States goes through great change but any form of protest, whether it is a protest over racial riots or what we have seen on Capitol Hill in recent days is condemned and abhorred.

Boooooooooooottthhhhhh ssiiiiiiiiiiiiidddeesssssssssssssss

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Breakfast Burrito posted:

i mean if my last name was the n word i probably would but that's just me

p.much this really.

EDIT:

Guardian Au posted:

The New South Wales government has spent less than $13m of its $50m rescue package for arts organisations hit by the Covid-19 shutdown.

When the scheme was first announced almost six months ago, the NSW government said the $50m Rescue and Restart funding would be distributed in two rounds.

With the second round of grant applications now open to access $30.1m, almost $7m remains formally unaccounted for by the NSW government from the emergency scheme.

Guardian Australia has been told by a number of arts organisations that they were instructed by the NSW government not to reveal publicly how much emergency funding they received under the Rescue and Restart scheme.

When Guardian Australia asked the office of the arts minister Don Harwin in December why there appeared to be no publicly accessible data on grant recipients, a spokesperson said there were issues of commercial in confidence.
:lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture...vernment-scheme

EDIT2:

Guardian Australia posted:

Australia remains one of the world’s hotspots for deforestation according to a new report by WWF, which finds an area six times the size of Tasmania has been cleared globally since 2004.

The analysis identifies 24 “deforestation fronts” worldwide where a total of 43 million hectares of forest was destroyed in the period from 2004 until 2017.

Australia is the only country in the developed world to appear on the list, with eastern Australia named alongside Colombia, Peru, Laos and Mozambique as locations with “medium” rates of deforestation.

The countries with high rates of deforestation include Brazil, Bolivia, Madagascar and Borneo.

“Land-clearing rates rocketed after the axing of restrictions in Queensland and NSW placing eastern Australia alongside the most infamous places in the world for forest destruction,” WWF-Australia conservation scientist Martin Taylor said.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/13/australia-the-only-developed-nation-on-world-list-of-deforestation-hotspots

:lol::lol:

hooman fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 13, 2021

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Too many limbs.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Sometimes I can go a whole week without remembering why I hate that smarmy gently caress, Scott Morrison.

Then I remember, oh, it's because of every single thing he's ever done.

Hey, not everything. making GBS threads yourself in a maccas while drunk is very relatable and not a hating offence. Everything else though yeah.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

The Peccadillo posted:

Labor sucks so loving bad Jesus christ why would you be a debt freak now of all times you loser

https://twitter.com/SenKatyG/status/1349944399275421700

Presumably because the second Labor ends up in power they'll immediately be beaten by everyone imaginable with the DEBT stick.

EDIT: So keeping it "on the record" so to say that Morrison and Co were loving garbage at it too is useful.

Less useful if it's "therefore we need to cut services" better if it's "therefore we need to raise corporate and top income bracket taxes".

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Homora Gaykemi posted:

What does your heart tell you?

:suicide:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

If businesses don't pay taxes in Australia, they might leave and not pay taxes somewhere else.

And then where would we be?

Australian owned. *shiver*

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Tennis the Menace

Knight Court

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

froglet posted:

That last one you get by voting Greens.

Another important one is raising the dole. Employers would have to raise wages if there was a pool of prospective workers who weren't having to take whatever job is going because the dole is below the poverty line.

Stripping the middlemen out of the dole and redirecting all the money spent on "employment agencies" to welfare recipients.

Removal of all mandaotry reporting as well.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So, UBI then?

I mean, I'm certainly not arguing with you here. I'm 100% behind the idea of a UBI set at a liveable level. I also can never see it happening in this country as long as we have the LNP and the Murdoch press dedicated to causing needless suffering to the majority of the country in the name of profits and ideological purity.

And cruelty.

Ideally yes, UBI. However given the above LNP/Murdoch ghouls who are determined to do nothing but chew the bones of poor people I'll settle for a safety net that provides actual safety and a functional net to the unemployed.

EDIT: And funnel taxpayer money to their mates. Chew bones and funnel money.

hooman fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 19, 2021

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Animal Friend posted:

MAYBE LEAVE THREAD from qld coast

Quexit

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

ungulateman posted:

"the people on the boats were also not having a good time" yes thank you scott morrison the first fleet (comprised mostly of navy members and the aristocracy) definitely had it just as hard as my genocided ancestors

like, i even have a decent amount of sympathy for how absolutely terribly the convicts were treated, that doesn't somehow make their behaviour acceptable! this isn't complicated!

Urgh, I'm loving sorry. God I loving loathe Australia day, it's like every loving arsehole has to poo poo out their worst racist takes once a loving year because god forbid we move a public holiday that has only been one for less time than I have been alive.

gently caress Scott Morrison, he's the lamest, most racist windsock piece of poo poo with the worst boomer brained takes.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

The Peccadillo posted:

There should be a rolling lottery where someone just gets to be the Australian royal family for a bit. Like some dude in Bungendore is just the king now. His house is the royal palace, half torn up tiles in the bathroom be damned his home is the palace he is the crown voice of god on earth and his children are living saints. No consultation

A yearly TV show, one random family in Australia becomes 'Aussie Royals" camera crews turn up, big crown, ceremony, follow them for a year, sap off all the drama, tearful goodbye, next year crown a new set. Bing bang boom.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian Au posted:

PM can't comment on Margaret Court's Australia Day honour
Morrison on Margaret Court set to be awarded an Australia Day honour:

"I can’t comment on an award that’s done through an independent process that hasn’t been announced or I have no official knowledge of ...
This is a completely independent set of processes.
It is an announcement that will be announced on that day. It is a system that recognises the full spectrum of individuals across this country."

What a gutless piece of poo poo.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
:qq: WHY WON'T YOU TOLERATE MY INTOLERANCE :qq:

https://www.facebook.com/LammoMPP/posts/3620779584623905

Amazing it's been deleted, luckily I have a backup.

EDIT: Apparently he's now also getting hate mail from rich people being like "WHAT DO YOU MEAN I'M A BENIFICIARY" ahahaha eat poo poo.

hooman fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 23, 2021

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

tbh I think i would be happy anywhere except new zealand

Out of interest, what was your sea shanty take, and how could it have possibly been dumb enough to not reflect worse on the redtext giver than on you.

They're sea shanties.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
It's like the difference between Tony Abbott, Malcolm Turnbull and Scott Morrison.

Tony Abbott is a genuine shithead, who thinks he's doing the right thing, but is a controlling patriarchal rear end in a top hat who won't relinquish any decision making whatsoever to those he sees as lesser.

Turnbull is a cynical shithead, who knows what the right thing to do is, but refuses to do it because of political calculus to triangulate himself into power and be self serving.

Morrisson is a bootlicking shithead who weasels and blames others at every opportunity and is filled with nothing but marketing language and empty platitudes. He knows nothing, and believes in nothing.

Fire all of them into the sun.

EDIT: I'm also aware that it's much harder to fire someone into the sun than it is to just launch randomly into space, but you know what, they're worth the effort. Howard can go too.

hooman fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 27, 2021

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Konomex posted:

They cared the last 2 times the libs tried to push this poo poo through, but suddenly radio silence from Labor?

Too busy stabbing each other in the back over how much inaction to take on climate change.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I pulled the trigger and didn't die is not a justification for playing russian roulette.

Everyone I've spoken to over here is in total agreement with the hard lockdown, we've seen exactly what happens when this poo poo gets out into the wild, you either hard lock early, or run the risk of much longer hard locks later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

crepeface posted:

Mark McGowan is asked to respond to Peter Dutton’s criticism of the WA lockdown:

"Peter Dutton can gently caress right off."