Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Yeah Nah?
This poll is closed.
Yeah Nah 122 53.51%
Nah Yeah 64 28.07%
Nah Yee 18 7.89%
No Yes 9 3.95%
Yes No 15 6.58%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

CelestialScribe posted:

People who were in those exposure areas should definitely not. But everyone else shouldn't have to abide by any restrictions just because there's one case in the city.

I feel like Melbourne peeps have COVID PTSD or something. You can't enforce Stage 4 lockdown for a few cases, especially when the contact tracing is meant to be up to scratch now.

Quoting for posterity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The fact you are going on with a frankly incomprehensible argument about economics against mandatory mask wearing is leading me to believe that.

I'm pretty sure that the chief health officers of some states have come out and said that masks are not always appropriate to mandate.

They weren't using the economics argument, but still.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-07/qld-cleaner-confirmed-to-have-uk-strain-of-coronavirus/13040430

Whelp, good luck QLD

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

JBP posted:

Who the gently caress was campaigning to change the name of Coon cheese lmao

The only reasonable argument for the change is the time that imbecile Courtney Barnett did Black Skinhead by Yeezy and changed the lyric "coon poo poo" to "coon cheese" while giggling like a child.

abigserve posted:

Old White Man Has Hot Takes

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Squidtits posted:

Anyone else getting a "Fast. Affordable. Sooner" feeling regarding the vaccine rollout?
Pfizer's 95% effectiveness vs AstraZeneca's 70% (possibly as low as 62%) is a huge gap.
While I understand we currently have the infrastructure to manufacture the latter in Australia surely the government could entice Pfizer to set up shop here or at least set up a facility that is capable of making mRNA vaccines.
Personally I think they were backing the wrong horses and found themselves at the back of the queue.

Still more effective than the flu vaccine that we get every year and dont question the efficacy rates of.

Plus, you don't need the super freezers to store it, and ethically, should we be taking the place of some other country where the crow is rampant while it's pretty much under control here.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

freebooter posted:

Yes. Sign it into law around, say, January 10th, so that we can change the date while keeping Australia's national day in the hottest part of summer and also setting up a Christmas-NY-national day string of public holidays.

We so easily could have changed the date already if those dipshit founding fathers hadn't decided to bring federation into being on a day that's already a holiday.

What were they doing, working on a public holiday any way. Unaustralian imo

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Anybody who spots Cox should contact police.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

bell jar posted:

Unironically though, where else would you rather live? For me it would probably only be New Zealand

Norway is high up on my list, but yeah, most countries have poo poo aspects to them, just gotta pick the ones you can stomach

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Sulla Faex posted:

maybe not post at all because its clearly not helping anything

Don't do this. Without comment on the current topic, I like reading your posts.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

crepeface posted:

if you guys haven't been following, /r/wallstreetbets has pumped gamestop stock up and hosed up an investment bank costing them billions.

I loving love this story.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Perth going into lockdown for 5 days.

gently caress me some of these locations are close to me. I go to that spud shed regularly, but haven't for a few weeks thankfully.

NPR Journalizard fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 31, 2021

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

always will be

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Zero cases in WA again.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

no new cases in WA again.

Even though we live in the hell timeline, im getting cautiously optimistic that restrictions will be reduced tomorrow.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

freebooter posted:

Andrews' defence was literally just that if we don't hold it some other city or even another country in Asia will host it and we might not get it back

Welcome to the 2022 Australian Open, coming to you live from New Zealand.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

crepeface posted:

i don't remember masks being required while restaurants/pubs are open last time. so you basically pull your mask down to eat/drink?

yeah, thats what it sounds like.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

freebooter posted:

Has WA been back to normal re: white collars working in the office? I thought there was still a lot of working from home going on, I know my dad's been working from home.

I have been doing 2 days from home and 3 from the office. Its working well for me tbh

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

go_banana posted:

Has there been any discussion as to why the government is still insistent with the Astra Zeneca vaccine? I understand it’s the best we can get in a short amount of time, but 70% effectiveness compared to 94% is quite a large gap and we are extremely wealthy nation. Has there been any further discussion to what may happen in the future, when we actually want to open back up internationally? Will the government consider getting more Pfizer/ whoever vaccines that are shown to be more effective?

We can manufacture A-Z here, we literally just bought more Pfizer, there is some data coming out that if you wait longer between shots, then A-Z efficacy gets up near 90%z any the vaccine we can get into arms is the best vaccine.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

go_banana posted:

I’ve read the 90% too - is this the strategy the government is pursuing? I haven’t seen any data on what they are actually planning to do in regards to timing between shots.

I understand there are far worse off countries than us ( in my original post I actually mentions it’s the best we can do for the time being) - I am thinking moreso in the future once we open back up internationally, and people from more effected nations start coming into Australia.

I think we are still in the "Wait and see what happens in other places, and get more data before making any huge decisions, and honestly, its a pretty good place to be in right now.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

ShoeFly posted:

Just ban all cats imo

I would be ok with all cats having those exploding collars from the dodgy 80s sci fi movie where if you go over a line, your head explodes.

I know people who are hugely invested in their cats, and keep them indoors at all times, so those cats are fine.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

bowmore posted:

Pretty much. Our gov is so corrupt.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/feb/10/its-an-ecological-wasteland-offsets-for-sydney-tollway-were-promised-but-never-delivered

Yep

Cant even deliver what they promise.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Oh god yes. I'm so sick of hearing "...who then went to one of their other three jobs they needed in order to survive and were in contact with several tens of thousands of people for two weeks".

How many times are we going to have to do this dance before they bring in something like your FIFO idea? At this point, trash city in the middle of the outback is starting to look good.

Not for the quarantined, just for the politicians who are making us groundhog day this poo poo.

At least the best state learned its lesson after the first scare, and said "Nah, security guards cant have two jobs while working quarantine. Here is some money so you dont have to".

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I wonder what they are going to do about the tennis

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Konomex posted:

Just coming out of the WA lockdown transition today, 5 day snap lock down seems like a great idea now. Somehow no one has presented with the virus, the contract tracers got to isolate all the contacts and check them. Tomorrow we're pretty much back to normal except for signing into places.

We desperately need a better solution than hotel quarantine though, proper Federal quarantine facilities in a semi-isolated location. Gosh our government is poo poo.

Not glorious leader Mark though, he's the top poo poo.

I heard a rumor, which i have no way of verifying, so you know its legit, that the dude who caught it was somehow not capable of spreading it to other people, hence why his housemates didnt get it. Apparently marky mark hosed the briefing, said the wrong thing about the circumstances where you had to wear masks, and then just doubled down and stuck to it.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

froglet posted:

I think what you're talking about is the guy was isolated as soon as he tested positive, so the odds him shedding virus (thus spreading it) was low.

However, the UK variant is loving awful, so I feel like a week of restrictions and two of mask wearing was maybe worth it in case they were wrong and he'd spread it to someone.

Nah, it was specifically that he couldnt spread it.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Helith posted:

Anyone know more about this? I'm curious what would make someone unable to spread the virus.

Dunno tbh. I will try to find out more tomorrow.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

hambeet posted:

and the tracking nanites.

they are the same ones from bloodshot yeah?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I had this discussion recently on facebook, and we determined that eating the rich/government is not the correct course of action.

Due to the high fat and bone content, you should really bokashi the rich/government, its the most ecologically friendly solution.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Staffer gets a job with the face eating leopard party, is surprised when her face gets eaten by a leopard.

well, this is some bullshit.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

hambeet posted:

everyone working at a jsp is just there biding their time while they look for other jobs. there is no special training to work there. it's literally busy work for them and the job seeker.

I almost hit apply for a job at a JSP, but it wouldnt have been frontline stuff, just sitting in the back office writing up reports.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Eediot Jedi posted:

second against the wall

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

bowmore posted:

I'm hearing it's likely Porter due to being captain at the World University Debating Championship, University of Sydney, 1988

Yeah that's what I just heard as well

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

bell jar posted:

NSW Gooch Watch decline to pursue investigation into the cabinet rapist

The longer this drags on, the more im getting pissed off at anyone who hides behind "Its a matter for the police" while knowing that the cops arent going to do anything because the victim is dead.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Konomex posted:

I can see this working if we also somehow stop the boats that regularly bring drugs in over the water. Or the mobile meth labs people put in the sand dunes. Or the weed they grow in the middle of nowheresville. Yup.

Or the people who don't cross at the two locations that are monitored

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

bowmore posted:

Hasn’t Porter already had other women accuse him of sexual harassment?

It's not the first time I have heard him accused if being a sex pest

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Homora Gaykemi posted:

It's not like they had an unprecedented resources boom that could've been invested into the future of the country instead of being pissed away or anything

Its not like they sold off every profitable asset that the taxpayers created that could've been invested into the future of the country instead of being pissed away or anything.

Im still cranky about selling CSL. Even if they had kept a 49% stake, the dividends paid since going public would have been more than the original sale price.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Man, privatisation really was bipartisan country loving in the 90s, hey

Keating has got a lot to answer for.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I've noticed Jacquie Lambie making more sense than usual lately.

I understand that feeling. I have had the briefest flash of "Oh hey, Zac Kirkup actually made a good point" a couple of times this election lead up.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Hey does anyone else remember that time that the LNP refused to pair up for a vote because if some bullshit reason and so got through some bullshit policy jeez Im glad this could never happen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

Murdoch has clearly decided Porter is dispensable and Morrison doesn’t have the intelligence to figure it out

Can't have someone from WA getting above their station