Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Yeah Nah?
This poll is closed.
Yeah Nah 122 53.51%
Nah Yeah 64 28.07%
Nah Yee 18 7.89%
No Yes 9 3.95%
Yes No 15 6.58%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

hooman posted:

You scrunts better keep posting in here. I'm old and hate change and don't like discord, but do you like all of you.

EDIT: Also I wouldn't relax too hard mate, from some rumours I've heard.

Yeah, I think I need to buy masks. I'm going to be really upset if we have to lock up the state and stay home again, idk how Melbourne people managed.

Also, dammit Hooman, come join the discord!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I've been half-jokingly saying this since March. So many fuckers get the drat thing and suddenly feel the need to get on a plane or drive halfway across the country.

Sadly, the truth is just that people are inconsiderate fuckstains.

My guess is most people didn't realise they had it, and I could totally see someone opting to keep quiet about their slightly sore throat because to them the balance of probabilities is that its probably nothing, and they don't want to be the person who "ruined Christmas" in an already lovely year (particularly when partners and kids are involved).

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

crepeface posted:

why would wa need to lockdown again? we haven't had any surge in cases, have we? the border might go up again, but i don't think we'd do another lockdown with local cases.

As a Perth person, I'm actually pretty worried that we aren't prepared if it gets out into the community again. Things have been great in Perth, but I imagine if one or two people caught it, they could quickly spread it far and wide before anyone knew what was going on.

Pretty much nobody here wears masks, we've been able to go go the pub for months, people aren't great about giving the 1.5m at shops, and I imagine most of us have forgotten almost everything from earlier in the year because we haven't had any community transmission.

Edit: I hope I'm just paranoid and wrong! :tinfoil:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Launchpad McQuack posted:

I am more worried by the fact the McGowen has closed all of the covid wards in all of the Perth hospitals except for RPH and Armadale. Pretty sure Armadale is about to close. So we are aren't really prepared at all. He just closed the boarders and has gone gently caress it, were are sweet now. But most West Aussie are hailing him as the second coming of Jesus, so if it is politically working for him thing wont change.

Yeah, there's a state election in March, I imagine he's going to sail in pretty easily (not that this has stopped me from supporting the Greens, I'm just keeping my expectations realistic).

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

I went to Woolies after work today but some mega-fatties already stripped all the shelves bare so I'll have to try again tomorrow. I hope I don't get a $200 fine for not wearing a mask while trying to buy a mask.

I have to wonder why are people like this. If ever there was a time to kick back at home, play video games til your eyes turn square, and eat frozen pizza for 3 days, this would be it.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

No I dont because it is a load of media beatup. AstraZeneca is possibly as high as 90% (the half dose result) and even if it is 70%? That's actually really good for a vaccine and more than adequate. There is also a multi-vaccine strategy where Pfizer is to be given to the more vulnerable / critical groups (10 million doses on order), one other vaccine that I cant remember the name of and AstraZeneca given to others. Modenca has so far refused to supply due to mostly the fact they just cant meet anything close to demand.

Yeah with the flu shot don't they give the really good one to vulnerable people through doctors offices and everyone else has to go to a pharmacy for the slightly less effective one?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Konomex posted:

Couple of things I'd love to see as a response to record profits and record stagnant wages:

Increase in the minimum wage.
A cap on executive salaries and benefits, because how much of a better CEO are you getting for another 20 million? Especially when they're driving companies into the dirt and receiving payouts whilst cutting jobs.
Removal of corporate donations to politics, but how the hell do you get that one through?

That last one you get by voting Greens.

Another important one is raising the dole. Employers would have to raise wages if there was a pool of prospective workers who weren't having to take whatever job is going because the dole is below the poverty line.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Konomex posted:

Australian politics is pretty dull right now. COVID ticking along okay, I'm not sure the tennis counts. The WA election is coming up but that's a foregone conclusion already.

We could discuss CANZUK I suppose? Britain seems keen.

Something that I think should be an issue at the election is how the WA government is cheerfully allowing the mass starvation of an endangered species.

Carnaby's black cockatoos are comical birds, my friend describes them as "can openers with wings", and at this rate I wouldn't be surprised to see them extinct in the wild by 2050.

Thing is, farmers hate these birds because humans keep cutting down the trees they use for food, so flocks of them descend on commercial orchards looking for a feed.

So if you're in WA and think this situation is utterly hosed, go campaign with the Greens. They bloody need it, Labor have done an okay job, Metronet is fine, but this entire situation is hosed and the two main parties are planning on the extinction of these birds that you cannot find anywhere else in the world.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

I started responding to this post and had written enough I feel weird about just deleting it when the app reminded me, so here we go:

Buttcoin purse posted:

I thought it was some country town - Albury or nearby. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-15/women-in-regional-nsw-struggle-for-abortion-access/12643858 covers some of the stuff I remember reading, but it doesn't paint quite as bad a picture as I remember, so maybe I'm remembering wrong, apologies if so.

I read your post as a hypothetical, but I could totally see it happening, particularly in a country town. There was a GP near my old house who'd refuse to do any birth control or pregnancy termination consults (she also refused to do anything with workers compensation and car accidents, which seemed weird). Sadly, a lot of the time she was the only doctor who wasn't booked out if you needed to be seen to quasi-urgently, and this was in an outer suburbs area. There were a few times I'd have to book her purely because there was nobody else available. She had a gigantic Jesus on the cross in her room, ugh.

Doctors aren't medication/treatment dispensing machines, they are people in their own right and people do occasionally have bonkers ideas about abortion or mental illness or whatever. However, I reckon medicine exists in a space where perhaps individuals should be heavily discouraged if not outright prevented from practicing in areas where their values are so grossly out of step with the general population that they would habitually decline certain kinds of treatment to patients.

Holy poo poo.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

The others have explained it far better than I could. It seems like a rising racist tide has lifted all the racist boats - including the anti-Semitic and holocaust denial ones.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Tommunist posted:

The liberal party sucks rear end but frydenberg is entirely within his rights as a Jewish person from a family that survived the holocaust to talk about anti semitism on a day dedicated to it.

I think everyone here agrees with that statement, but we can also acknowledge his own party is complicit in creating an environment that foments the very kind of thing he's speaking out against.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Breakfast Burrito posted:

the antisemitism isn't the criticising of genocide it's telling an individual Jewish politician he shouldn't comment on rising antisemitism and holocaust denial in this country on holocaust memorial day without sufficiently apologising for the actions of the state of Israel (a conflation that is itself antisemitic)

and that foreign aid article you quoted is really really bad, it's playing tit for tat with holocaust memorials and foreign aid as if they're part of the same decision. it's not worth getting into but foreign aid decisions are complex and frydenberg far from the only player in it, plus there is a freeze on aid at the moment (which in itself is obviously Not Good) and can you think of any global issues in the past 12 months that might have changed aid priorities

Yeah, after reading through this thread and discussing on the discord, you guys are absolutely right, and it was definitely inappropriate to bring it up when he's talking in the context of a day to commemorate the victims of the Holocaust.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

nocturama posted:

Tanya wont do it because of her husband right

Could someone explain this? (I don't feel like googling who Tanya's husband is or why it matters)

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

freebooter posted:

I vaguely remember seeing on the ABC the other day that after 12 months employers now have to offer their casuals a part-time or full-time position if they want it, which seems... good? Unless it just allows employers to drop their casuals and hire new ones at the 11 month mark. But I'm not sure what the incentive for that would be, since giving people guaranteed leave etc is probably balanced out by no longer having to pay them the casual loading, which is why so many casual workers prefer to be casual in the first place.

I thought that's how things always have been, just that it was never enforced?

I've never had a casual job that voluntarily offered me full time hours. One job was kinda offended I quit a few days after the roster went out and I pointed out that this was in the terms of our contract and maybe they should have made me part time like I asked.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

freebooter posted:

On the flipside I've had multiple jobs (in my teens and early twenties) where I was effectively working 30-40 hours a week on casual pay and they needed me more than I needed them, which suited me fine. That is of course middle class anecdata and if I was in that position at this age now I'd drat well want the job security and guaranteed PL and AL.

What I meant to say was they never offered me a full time position even though I was working full time hours.

I feel like casual workers everywhere need to just agree to quit with the bare minimum notice and do it often enough that employers have to voluntarily move their workers over to FT, PT, etc.

Edit: but obviously that would be hard to do in practice. Reform workplace laws dammit.

froglet fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 28, 2021

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Konomex posted:

They cared the last 2 times the libs tried to push this poo poo through, but suddenly radio silence from Labor?

Maybe they've decided the people clearly want Workchoices 2.0, so they can loving have Workchoices 2.0.

The past 12 months have been people who voted for the leopards eating peoples faces party getting their faces eaten by leopards in other countries, so why not let it happen in Australia? Don't you see, maybe once things get really bad people will actually stop voting for shithouse politicians who sell their constituents out for trivial baubles! they won't

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

dr_rat posted:

Hey not sure if this is the right place to ask about this but I know some of you are might be unfortunately familiar with this sort of stuff. One of my mates was sexually assaulted at work. Her and the person who sexually assaulted her had previously shared explicit texts with photos at work, which as soon as she brought up the assault her work used that to ignore the assault (while in a letter acknowledging it did happen) and have her fired.

She's currently looking for a lawyer/firm/not for profit org who might take on a case like this pro bono or minimum fee as, you know she's unemployed and has gently caress all cash. She's not looking for some sort of huge payout, mostly just you know any sort of acknowledgement that yeah this happened and gently caress you for supporting it, if it in some way fucks over her previously employee so they think twice about ever doing something like this again that would be unlikely but amazing.

Anyway just thought one of you may know she look/go to about this. Don't really want to put to many details obviously, but she was just a short term casual, and you know as such didn't have time to join union, and the place she was working was a larger corporation.

(sorry if any of this is a bit confused. She invited a few of her closest mates to talk to this about and we may of had a bit to drink - oh and yeah she did ask us specifically about legal council advice about this.)

Dunno about lawyers, but if she can't bring it up through fair work, she might be able to take it up with the Human Rights Commission? You'd think being fired for being sexually assaulted would fall under it (especially if the other party was allowed to keep their job).

Edit: there's also some state based sex discrimination/human rights organisations, too, which can arrange for arbitration.

froglet fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 3, 2021

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Mr Chips posted:

What happens if someone in quarantine needs hospitalisation?

I'd imagine they'd do whatever people who live a few hours out from Melbourne do. Being a few hours out from a major city isn't that bad.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

NPR Journalizard posted:

no new cases in WA again.

Even though we live in the hell timeline, im getting cautiously optimistic that restrictions will be reduced tomorrow.

That'll be nice, it means my partner and I can go visit my in-laws (who are emotional about losing their house to the bushfire, but will be ok... I think).

Meanwhile, the fires are still raging. It'll be poo poo if the fire gobbles up some of the newer housing estates.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

WA's new covid restrictions after Friday 6pm have been announced.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

freebooter posted:

That's dumb and undermines public confidence in the sensibleness of a mask mandate in the first place

Honestly the situation has me so anxious that I'll probably ask if I can work from home next week also.

If figure if ever there was a time to go full hermit and eat frozen dinners, this is it.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Eediot Jedi posted:

WA hasn't had a single local case since the guard themself tested positive afaik. So not even the guard's close contacts tested positive. I'm not saying go out and lick every door knob you can find but WA is in a very good position wrt door knob safety.

My reaction is in no way rational, heh, it's an anxiety thing - what happens when I inevitably forget my mask, what if I can't find another one, do I have to wear a mask when cycling to work, etc.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

freebooter posted:

Has WA been back to normal re: white collars working in the office? I thought there was still a lot of working from home going on, I know my dad's been working from home.

Right now I'm working from home and don't want to go back. I think most workplaces if the job can be done from home, that's what the organisation is doing.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

perepelki posted:

on my first shift, not even a real shift but the lunch break of my induction, i overheard two of my new coworkers talking in the break room and one of them lamented that donald trump promised them nazism but never delivered, he wanted a fourth reich already

:stare:

Good grief, what is it with goons and encountering nazis?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

And open myself up to getting double autism? No thank you Mr Big Pharma :colbert:

Surely two negatives make a positive, right?! :v:

duck monster posted:

Jesus loving christ. Have a read of this thread.

Its a liberal party ad reminding folks that they can postal vote and its *crawling* with wing nuts.

https://www.facebook.com/LiberalsWA/posts/10158751573187221

On the one hand, this is terrible. On the other, I am mildly... Idk, satisfied (?? cannot think of a better word to go here) that the political right might finally be reaping what they sowed (or at least, reaping all the weeds they allowed to grow with nary a cross look because it was politically expedient to them at that time).

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Australia's feral cat inquiry has ended and they actually recommend doing something about people's adorable killing machines.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-08/federal-inquiry-proposes-plan-to-control-feral-cats/13127092 posted:

There is no silver bullet for Australia's cat problem, but a complete reset of the Federal Government's approach to feline control is needed, according to the final report from the national inquiry into the issue.

Key points:
Australia's 2.8 million feral cats kill close to 3 billion native animals annually
The national feral cat inquiry has recommended further culling and more fenced, predator-free safe havens for native animals
Domestic cats could also face greater scrutiny and tougher restrictions
The inquiry made a series of recommendations including more culling, greater cooperation with state governments and a new national conservation program called Project Noah, which would create more fenced safe havens and feral-cat-free islands.

Domestic cats did not escape scrutiny, with the inquiry recommending a national management strategy that would encourage responsible cat ownership through more desexing, registration, microchipping and an enforceable night-time curfew.

The LNP Member for Fairfax, Ted O'Brien, said he was shocked when he saw how bad the problem was.

"That's the big thing that really allowed the penny to drop for me as the chair of this committee, to think that the average feral cat kills 1,100 animals per year — that is just amazing," he said.

"That's 3 billion native animals, on average, every single year.

"That's what we saw in the disastrous Black Summer bushfire last year and feral cats do that damage on an annual basis."

Mr O'Brien said the centrepiece of the committee's recommendations: Project Noah, was born out of necessity.

"For the short to medium term, we know that we won't have the technology available to cull feral cats at the scale required, and in the affordable and humane way that's needed," he said.

"We need to buy time for our threatened species and one of the proven methods has been these predator-free areas."

Predator-proof fencing 'effective' control measure
Arid Recovery wildlife reserve in far north South Australia is a predator-free area and its general manager Katherine Tuft says its model has proven to work.

"Putting up a predator-proof fence is the most effective way of dealing with feral cats," she said.

"So long as you maintain it, you can return all sorts of vulnerable species [to the area] that can't exist with cats.

"It's quite an effort to put up one of these fences — they're not a standard, stock fence.

"There's a lot of chicken wire, they're taller, and there are other bells and whistles, like hot wires.

"That being said, I think there's an enormous potential for more of these fenced reserves, especially to coordinate together and target the less well-represented threatened species."

But Dr Tuft said the reserves would need constant upkeep and attention because a single breach could spell disaster.

"We've had a couple of cats that have slipped into the reserve over the years and it's a huge effort to get them out — that's why you need people on the ground every day," she said.

"Cats can take a pretty big toll relatively quickly.

"If your population is 100 native animals and a cat is in there, they can decimate the population in a couple of weeks.

"We've had incidents where a cat has got in and definitely caused declines in some species before we could catch it, and others where we were able to get on top of the cat more swiftly."

Pet containment questions
The inquiry also looked at the legal controls on pet cats and highlighted the issues with differences in local cat control policy.

Some council areas like Wodonga in Victoria, enforce a night-time curfew that is applied through local law provisions under the Local Government Act.

But the RSPCA noted in its submission that the Companion Animals Act in New South Wales prevented such action outside "wildlife protection areas and food preparation/consumption areas … or where the cat was threatening personal property".

The inquiry also noted a comment from the Wodonga Council that highlighted a need for domestic cats to be treated the same as dogs.

"It is generally and widely accepted that dogs are confined at all times and that there are consequences when this does not occur," the council said in its submission.

"Currently the same is not true for cats, despite overwhelming evidence in support of cat containment."

I'd suggest the recommendations don't go far enough with regard to people who let their cats roam the neighbourhood. A curfew is extremely difficult to enforce and we need to get rid of this weird cultural blindspot where we're cool with people having cats that are pet by day and indiscriminate murderbeast by night.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

ShoeFly posted:

Just ban all cats imo

I would 100% endorse this but, realistically, people love introduced predators of Australian wildlife more than they love Australian wildlife itself and it'd be silly to pretend otherwise.

bell jar posted:

To Think! A Cat Eats Three Times A Day Every Day! I Am Simply Amazed!

It's not just that, though, they'll kill for fun. Even well-fed housecats that have no need will cheerfully kill a bird or lizard if they have the opportunity.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

freebooter posted:

Has anyone written any kind of explanation about why the UK in particular seems to be such a hotbed of anti-trans sentiment? Obviously that's just an anecdotal observation, but I know I'm not the first to make it.

My extremely cursory opinion is that it's not really about trans people, it's about being seen as doing something about the latest thing the mainstream media has fanned people into a frenzy about.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Konomex posted:

At the risk of doxxing myself here. I went to school with the current leader of the Liberals, we're the same age. He was a good friend for a long time. This is what you get when you put millennials in positions of power, they're leader isn't an idiot and he can see the writing on the wall. If they want a chance of fighting back against Labor in the future they'll need to adopt climate policies and dump that partisan bullshit that surrounds it. WA is in a unique position to ditch coal and swivel to renewables as well, better than some of the other states. Our Nationals are a different breed too, and a separate party, so easier to deal with any anti renewable sentiment there.

On the one hand, I get where this reasoning comes from, on the other, I don't believe them.

I find the Liberals extremely unimaginative for the most part - it seemed like if it wasn't some big ribbon-cutting exercise for Colin Barnett, it wouldn't get done, which is a poo poo way to run a government. And call me cynical, but they also have a history of making promises and welching on them in WA. They went to two state elections promising the Ellenbrook train line and didn't do it on both occasions, and they had literally no excuse because they were rolling in mining boom money at the time.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good policy, it's bizarrely progressive and forward-thinking. However, if they won, I believe they'd make excuses or kick the can further down the line until 'oh no we can't do that now', and I reckon they've burnt a lot of goodwill with the WA public and will have a hard time winning/retaining seats.

froglet fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 11, 2021

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

NPR Journalizard posted:

I heard a rumor, which i have no way of verifying, so you know its legit, that the dude who caught it was somehow not capable of spreading it to other people, hence why his housemates didnt get it. Apparently marky mark hosed the briefing, said the wrong thing about the circumstances where you had to wear masks, and then just doubled down and stuck to it.

I think what you're talking about is the guy was isolated as soon as he tested positive, so the odds him shedding virus (thus spreading it) was low.

However, the UK variant is loving awful, so I feel like a week of restrictions and two of mask wearing was maybe worth it in case they were wrong and he'd spread it to someone.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

freebooter posted:

Closed the borders, which wasn't done lightly, and doubled the dole. Both things I suspect would have been less likely to happen under Turnbull or Abbott.

Since then he's receded into the background and tossed everything to the states, and he deserves plenty of flak for shirking federal quarantine responsibility both because of the breaches and because it's left so many Australians stranded overseas. Also prematurely ending raised Jobseeker rates is true to form. So he deserves plenty of criticism and I'll still never vote Liberal, but the widespread idea the federal government has done absolutely nothing is false.

Even failing that, just paying for quarantine staff to stay in serviced apartments by themselves instead of living with a bunch of housemates who also all work in public-facing industries would be a start.

And even then the whole raising the dole thing was because the Libs realised that a bunch of people who'd otherwise have never come into contact with Centrelink would suddenly find out the hard way how awful life is on the dole and agitate for them to do something about it on a permanent basis.

Also it's kinda ironic that a bunch of hard nosed neoliberals who like to say things such as "make hay while the sun shines" and "if you have a go you get a go" suddenly start crying when some low-paid worker does exactly that and one of their jobs happens to be in a quarantine hotel.

It's almost as if neoliberalism... Bad?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

LordSaturn posted:

while reading elsewhere about the current Australia Facebook situation, I was inspired to make this, which I would describe as ":psyduck: modified to be a platypus, and upside-down"

I figured if any thread on the forums would want this, it would be this one. enjoy it or don't, at your own leisure

That owns.

Meanwhile, the WA Opposition leaders page isn't available 3 weeks out from an election. I mean, the outcome is likely to be the incumbents retain power, but it's still poo poo for boomers Liberal supporters.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Yeah I have a hard time feeling sorry for them either, but obviously Facebook shouldn't have done this.

froglet fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 18, 2021

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

I actually had to explain that stupid 'chestfeeding' furphy to my partner's aunty today, ugh.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Zenithe posted:

The Muir Rule. Pick a random Aussie, they may be lovely in a bunch of ways but better than a career politician

This was a while back, but given how federal politics has gone lately, I'm at the point where I reckon at least some of our MPs should be picked at random. Like jury duty.

Animal Friend posted:

I asked my anti vax buddy about why he doesn't want the covid vaccine.

Do they live underground like the morlocks so they sun doesn't damage their precious DNA?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Happy state election day, Wait Awhilians!

I've done my civic duty and voted, grabbed lunch from the democracy sausage sizzle and followed that up with a democracy cake.

Due to health stuff, this is the first time in ~8 years I've not signed up to be spruiking the Greens at a booth for an election. It's hard not to feel like I've let the team down, but I did visit a friend on a booth and hand out how to votes while he went around and hung up signs in Wembley, and I also participated in some some doorknocking/campaigning in the lead up to today. Those things are important, even if my brain spiders took over at the pointy end of the campaign.

If you're against the two major parties slide to the right and want action on climate change, you should consider joining, volunteering or donating. The Greens don't take corporate donations, and they need all the help they can get.

Doing stuff for the Greens is work, but most of the time it's not particularly arduous, and it's worth doing. It's likely to be a Labor landslide today, but putting yourself out there is important.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

The Libs have a massive credibility problem in WA and I don't know how they are going to recover from it.

They went to two elections promising an Ellenbrook railway line and welched on it both times, and squandered a majority of the money from a once in a generation mining boom.

They could have made the average sandgropers life substantially better and ushered in an era of prosperity for everyone, not just the most wealthy, most comfortable and least needy, but... they chose not to.

When they were in power, I don't think anyone could answer the question "what have the liberals done that made your life better?".

While they were in opposition, Labor has done loads of bad poo poo but I don't recall the Libs ever highlighting any of it, and they weren't helped by their various grifts and corruption being revealed and demanding the border be reopened.

And now Labor have a massive majority, they get to set the agenda now, and while I am more sympathetic in general to Labor policies, this majority means they're less likely to listen to dissenting minorities, the opposition, etc.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Spookydonut posted:

You just need to do booth work once and you'll forever be on the list of suckers they contact every election to man a booth.

I kid because I love, this was the first election since I reached voting age that I wasn't on a booth for the greens (due to bad health).

Oh that sucks, sorry to hear, spook.

Also, nobody called me this year and I don't remember telling anyone other than my direct campaign team that I wasn't able to do booth stuff. Maybe one of them put a note on my entry?

froglet fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 16, 2021

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

cvisors posted:

Sorry for my rant, but the politics right now is a constant reminder of how those with privilege can get away with things.

Nth'ing everyone else - no need to be sorry at all. It's awful you've suffered in silence about this for so long, and good that you're sharing your story.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

In the face of staff masturbating on female coworkers' desks, sexual harassments, sexual assaults, rapes and causing at least one woman to commit suicide, it's good to see we can still rely on Scotty to put things into perspective for us.

Does this mean all the male Liberal MPs are going to quit to make way for women? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

norp posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a "thanks everyone, see if you play by the rules it can and will be 3days"

They are banking on
- lucking out and getting no more cases
- even if they do get another case they will get compliance from another snap lockdown
- they expect a lot of people to WFH if they can anyway for the near term

Also, we're out of lockdown but I believe we're still to wear masks in public? I imagine that'll help a fair bit of there's a few people wandering around with it.