Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Yeah Nah?
This poll is closed.
Yeah Nah 122 53.51%
Nah Yeah 64 28.07%
Nah Yee 18 7.89%
No Yes 9 3.95%
Yes No 15 6.58%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Learners permits are ok now? They weren't back when I was a bouncer and that was probably the number one cause of stupid preventable aggro at the door.

dr_rat posted:

When were they not? I'm in Vic and been using more learners for the last what 16-17 years'ish. (you need to renew them after 10!)

It depends on the state, but in Victoria at least L permits are valid ID but only Victorian Ls, not interstate ones, while anything P and up insterstate is valid.

Given the old Queensland "laminated paper" IDs, I'd be surprised if they had stronger ID laws than Vic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Scylo posted:

I guess changing his name from Siraj to Shiraz is racist but not sure any of the witness accounts I've read indicate racial abuse. There was an incident of racism yesterday which was probably worse but we won't find out until the ICC are done investigating.

Must be horrid if the International Criminal Court is looking into it.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

"facts are sometimes contentious" is like the defining sentence of Australian politics.

E: the full quote

Michael McCormack posted:

Facts are sometimes contentious and what you might think is right, somebody else might think is completely untrue. That is part of living in a democratic country.

Not quite grasping the concept of what a "fact" is.

Animal Friend fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 12, 2021

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

hooman posted:

Boooooooooooottthhhhhh ssiiiiiiiiiiiiidddeesssssssssssssss

I read this in my mind like the "photooooon torpeeeeeedoes" bit from Star Trek TMP

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

His little speech last (?) year about Pacific Island nations needing to shut up about us drowning them by pushing coal burning upon the world just because it's inconvenient for them to "exist" ended with something like "and if for the sake of our economy your island sinks, your people can come pick fruit for us."

Comic book villain poo poo.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Lid posted:

Jenny D'Ubios, who escaped hotel quarantine in Perth on Boxing Day after claiming her detention was a violation of her human rights and based on a virus that did not exist.

D'ubious claims...

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Water isn't for drinking it's for selling.

Remember this one lol

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/dec/12/queensland-school-water-commercial-bottlers-tamborine-mountain

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

MAYBE LEAVE THREAD from qld coast

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Loving the constant march of progress of neoliberalism in this garbage country.

University went from being free to the government considering taking HECS/HELP debt from the dead for the second time...

And just after robotdebt was cancelled?

Just keep punching down, Australia!!

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

bell jar posted:

Shorten will rise like Lazarus

into the ceiling fan of electoral incompetence.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

From what I remember as a higher level retail monkey (at an unnamed small business starting with a 'W'), they'd burn through teenage staff on registers as often as they could to pay only that sweet under 18 probationary salary and nothing more.

And then a few years back they cancelled all bonuses.

And then they made almost all managerial jobs redundant or under-paid.

And then they cut penalty rates.

lol

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Literal Nazis are loving everywhere, even in Melbourne if you know what to look for/listen into outside of swastikas and blatant anti-antisemitism (aka you are extremely online).

Not that swastikas are lacking, of course. I'm not Jewish myself but I grew up in the centre of Australia's biggest hasidic population and that and other symbols showed up all the time in the neighborhood. In primary school I used to walk the kid in a yamulke home in order to stop people attacking him and stealing it.

My old retail job 3 suburbs over had multiple instances of people with nazi tattoos shopping there and money with swastikas drawn on it.

Cool country.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Comstar posted:

On the upside no worry I didn’t book Valentine’s Day!

I booked to donate plasma on the 14th and I'm glad that for this year at least everybody's valentines plans are ruined except mine.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

My dumbass dad wants to move to the Wodonga area but also won't shut the gently caress up about how "everybody down there hates Andrews"

The only people you know in the entire state are your dipshit workmates and they barely have 10 working brain cells between them all

I've seen so many "ARREST DAN ANDREWS" signs and so forth that I was really wierded out to see a giant over-store poster near my place with a picture of Andrews and Morrison on it that read "THANKYOU BOTH FOR YOUR EFFORTS" or something similar. Very odd to see something so blatantly pro-Dan Andrews (the most vocal are usually people complaining- which is probably true of anything).

I was with a small group of friends and we were all wondering "what has Morrison done???"

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

freebooter posted:

I feel like both before and after his prime ministership people have ascribed Turnbull this aura of progressiveness he never actually had, certainly not economically. The man was a banker for gently caress's sake.

I mean, he has been writing in the Guardian about the need for a Green New Deal in Australia and largely fallen into the Fraser-esque role of critical Liberal talking head since leaving politics. Being under constant attack from Sky and Murdoch papers probably helped too.

With regard to your previous point, yes Morrison closed the borders (I wonder if he has a new little model of a Qantas jet with "I stopped these" on it on his desk). He also helped with the national cabinet (although there's a lot of things with regard to oversight that bug me about that). I don't know if doing what was the bare minimum to keep business and unemployment going and then losing billions to an accounting error, then "saving the debt" then cutting unemployment again really says about his cabinets political acumen. He's also been whinging about the more pro-active premiers the whole time, along with Frydenberg.

It was just wierd to see him and Andrews on the same banner, really. Maybe its just that, for all his faults, when Andrews does a presser I can stand to listen to him try and explain things. Morrison with his smug 'earnestness' just hurts to watch. Also I guess this past year has really sort of shown the divide between the states, the federal government and by extension state identy and national identity. 2 years ago I doubt most people could name the premiers of most states, but they've all been getting airtime and news updates nationally since covid.

When do we get different rail guages again?

crepeface posted:

typical victorians, thinking they're the centre of australia. 🙄 WA will be back to normal from tomorrow onwards and I'll be going ahead with my Valentine's day plans with your mum

:negative:

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

JBP posted:

It's hard to herd cats and do things at the same time. Some people in the ALP have decent ideas and ideals and can't get the up when they've got a lot of power because shoppies etc. I'm not saying Turnbull good, but I think there were things he wanted to do in line with his "moderate lib" values, but ultimately couldn't. Then he got shitcanned anyway.

The problem was he was absolutely compromising his personal positions in order to avoid a spill. He was constantly saying things as PM that contradicted what he had said previously. He also had to defend his current stances, at that point the positions of the Liberal right, which at best was arguing in bad faith and at worst was gaslighting the entire country.

The irony is he wanted to be leader but in in order to keep that title he never got to actually lead, then lost the title anyway. He ultimately dragged the party to the right, despite his moderate "leadership".

Also wasn't he largely responsible for stuffing up the NBN so badly? Even thinking about that makes me angry.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Sierra Madre posted:

I'm glad he worked up the confidence to signal vaguely progressive beliefs years after leaving the kind of power he could've used to put those beliefs into practice.

I was more just alluding to where the perception of Turnbull as the progressive comes from. The fact that it's all from critiquing the government he was leading just a few years back is telling.

I wonder how much of it comes from actual personal integrity and how much of it comes from the grievance he would most rightly feel from how the right treated him.

Also JBP is right that it's not solely the domain of Liberal leaders to cave to internal politics. The shoppies influence with Gillard and marriage equality being the most aggravating example.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I mean those guys are wankers but I don't know what the mic operator expected...

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

The Peccadillo posted:

https://twitter.com/cameronwilson/status/1361531191346618373

How did you first come across [disproven and unproven COVID-19 treatments]?

KELLY: Before I posted it, I checked the credibility of it. He had this long Jewish beard. He looked a bit … I looked him up to see that he was on the up and up and I satisfied myself. So I posted it to Facebook.

Hmm not sure your supposed to say this part out loud...

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I get all my news from BitChute which Facebook already banned. It's how you know it's true!!!

Also apparently the news ban killed government information pages as well lmao

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

CS forum banned but still finding ways to post.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Crikey posted:

As it quickly became apparent yesterday that Facebook’s shutdown of “news” pages extended well beyond those of media companies to a wide variety of non-media organisations — in some cases leading to restorations of pages following complaints — the definition of “news” became a central issue in the government’s attempt to extort large amounts of money from Google and Facebook on behalf of Australian media companies.

Facebook argues that, because of the broad definition of news content in the legislation establishing the mandatory news media bargaining code, it has no choice but to shut down all pages containing news content, regardless of whether they belong to media organisations or not.

Under the legislation, it’s not permitted to discriminate between news content from different sources.

Facebook is correct that the legislative definition — bear in mind the legislation is not yet in force — for news content is extraordinarily wide. A definition of news content is important not merely for the kind of content that is covered by the code, but for determining who gets to participate in the code.

The explanatory memorandum for the bill explains that core news content relates to “issues or events that are relevant in engaging Australians in public debate and in informing democratic decision-making; or current issues or events of public significance for Australians at a local, regional or national level… There is no requirement that the content be produced by a journalist.”

It’s a very broad definition, only limited by the desire of the government to prevent unions, lobby groups and political parties being covered by the code, and by a vague restriction relating to purely comment-based content.

The broader the better, of course: the government wants as many media companies to be able to use the code to extract money from Google and Facebook as possible, and prevent the latter from arguing that some kinds of news content are not covered by the definition.

And for that you can thank two major industry players: News Corp and the Nine Network — who also happen to be the two biggest beneficiaries of the scheme.

In its submission to the ACCC when the competition regulator was consulting on what the code would look like in mid-2020, News Corp made clear how broad it wanted the definition of news content to be. This is what News Corp told the ACCC news content should be:

"News Corp Australia considers that ‘news content’ should be defined broadly as ‘content produced for the purpose of investigating, reporting, or providing commentary on issues of interest to Australians’.
The definition of ‘news content’ should be agnostic as to form (which may include text, image, audio, visual or combinations of these) and delivery (which may include distribution through third party platforms such as social media platforms or news aggregators or delivery through smart speakers). The scope of the term ‘news content’ should not be limited to specific subject matters. Nor should it be limited to public interest journalism or any notion of professional standards."

That is, News Corp thinks news is what is “of interest to Australia” — not what is actually in the public interest.

Nine had a different approach, of limiting the code to organisations that operated under the Australian Press Council or media regulator ACMA, or who were admitted by the ACCC on the basis that they employ professional journalists and “have demonstrated a commitment to presenting factual matters accurately.”

The ACCC issued draft legislation following consultation, proposing that news content be defined as “created by a journalist; and that records, investigates or explains issues that: (i) are of public significance for Australians; or (ii) are relevant in engaging Australians in public debate and in informing democratic decision-making; or (iii) relate to community and local events”.

News Corp was broadly happy with the definition but wanted sports and sports related news content and “social issues” added.

Nine, however, was not happy. It now wanted journalists excluded from the definition on the basis that it “creates an artificial distinction, which does not reflect the way in which that content is valued by consumers”.

It also wanted the ACCC to loosen the definition so that even programs that had only a small amount of news content would be subject to the code, rather than programs that were “predominantly” news.

When the government issued its draft legislation, miraculously, News Corp got the broad definition it wanted, and no requirements for public interest journalism, and Nine got what it wanted — the removal of any requirement to employ journalists to make the content covered under the code.

In doing so, they demonstrated how little this whole scam is about quality journalism. They’re now rather poorly placed to criticise Facebook for shutting down non-news pages — after all, it’s the Nine-News Corp definition that there in the bill.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Always from this fucker. These fuckers.

We've not admonished the culprit. We've not placed blame. We've not offered condolances or comfort. (Occasionally thoughts and prayers)

The narrative is always "we've punished those responsible for not advising properly".

Its always a matter of miscommunication; mixed messaging, unclear advice or otherwise dividing by zero on a simple integer.

Sexual assault occured. A violent, horrific crime. A failure of humanity. There is a perpetrator and a victim. It happened in the place where the Government operates, by and against government operatives.

When asked how he felt he trotted out some patriarchal familial nonsense and was surprised when called out on his non-response.

Now the narrative is that he wasn't advised properly.

There's never any black and white.

"Facts are contentious."

There's just who said what and what advice has been acted on.

There's never any sense of accountability.

e: "as soon as a reporter submitted questions".
Is there not a screen grab of messages between the victim and somebody from the PMO from when it happened?
It just loving kills me.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

freebooter posted:

Not gonna post or link to it here because really who gives a gently caress, but Albrechtson interviewed Alexander Downer in the Australian about COVID and it made my blood boil. He has the loving gall to hold up the UK as some kind of model, handwaving away 120,000 dead citizens in favour of vague bullshit about liberty and mental health. Unbelievably, unfathomably divorced from both reality and the mood of the nation.

Remember that time he engaged in espionage and international crime in Timor-Leste in order to secure a post-government job in an energy company and when a whistle-blower tried to bring it to the attention of the public they were tried in secret and had their citizenship all but revoked and their lawyer also suffered the same fate?

And how serious prison time has been given and how multiple attourney-generals have been tight-lipped about it?

Animal Friend fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Feb 21, 2021

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

There will be stern words for all these people who knew about the serial rapist in parliament house but who didn't carefully tell Mr Morrison about every detail in a fashion he could easily repeat to his wife in order to gain some kind of empatheric insight into how to react.

Stern. Words.

Reprimands. Maybe even some regrets.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

lol at Kamikaze Kelly.

Also happy to see Crown eating poo poo.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Anthony Albanese posted:

Well, we’ll examine the detail. People, no doubt, will continue to struggle. The age pension, of course, is also an issue as well, some people have called for jobseeker to be higher than that, and I don’t think that would be appropriate. Look, we’ll examine the full detail. I don’t think there’s actually been an announcement, it’s more a leak. We’ll examine what is actually happening. This is a government with a record of cuts to the pension, the government that introduced robodebt, the government that hasn’t looked after people and has left people behind. So we’ll examine the detail and respond accordingly.

Coherent as always. Details will be examined, which is a relief.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

thatfatkid posted:

Lol press conference by Scott Morrison saying they're winding back jobseeker etc and returning back to the status quo of making life miserable for people on it.

Fkn cunts.

"PM: The government will continue to function successfully"

Currently on the screen on the ABC

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

bowmore posted:

Nevermind I saw it, an increase of $3 and change a day is a spit in the face of everyone on job seeker, gently caress off Morrison you scum

Umm actually I think you'll find its the first real increase since the 80s. This is progressive. Its from the party that brought you marriage equality.

What more could you want?

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

This is the real kicker though. I was sure I misheard it on TV but loooooooooooool

What reason could you have for not taking a job your forced to apply for? You leaner

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

It's rapists all the way down.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...ore-story-broke

Absolute poo poo show. Of course Dutton is somehow deeply involved too

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Electric Wrigglies posted:

It improves safety so why wouldn't you do it? Except for practical reasons it will take a while of course.

I am sure in time they will slowly push back poles from roads as well. It is expensive but it does improve safety so bit by bit you will notice that improve.

:shuckyes:

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Someone at the ABC reads this thread.

Economics professor Ross Garnaut says Australia voluntarily keeps hundreds of thousands unemployed

It goes into a lot more, including the NAIRU, and it's good to see an economist who isn't saying to feed more poor people into furnaces to heat the homes of the rich for once.

This is a very good link, thanks.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Watching Australian Story as background noise waiting for 4 Corners and what the gently caress lmao.

"My dad was gay. He was a gay man."

"Mum used to joke about saving dad from being gay."

"I don't understand how my gay dad married my mum."

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

lmao

It speaks volumes that basically everybody assumed it was Porter to begin with. An absolute slimeball.

He's a creepy authoritarian with his policies and the awful poo poo he and Dutton have done to damage the rule of law in the country may never be undone.

That he's also (allegedly) violated and destroyed individuals on a personal level yet will probably see no justice is not a good feeling.

Seems he's late for his press conference.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

How the gently caress is every member of government so ignorant of what is going on around them all the time? What a loving farce.

Also this slimey fucker just playing victim and having a whinge. He's the real victim here!

He's keeping his job, btw, because otherwise people might start believing women!

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

All the whinging was to hide the fact that his statement is a non-statement.

"other people will discuss this, I can't"

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

ShoeFly posted:

How was he going through a trial by media when the media was super careful to make sure his name was never mentioned?

That's his calculated defence for keeping his job. This has stressed him so much that he must stand fast and not buckle to the pressure of allegations in order to create a precedent: that nobody can be taken down by allegations of sexual assault in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Explaining why courts are important to find the truth. But then there's no need to investigate this or for an inquiry because he says it didn't happen.

Absolute cognitive dissonance.