Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Yeah Nah?
This poll is closed.
Yeah Nah 122 53.51%
Nah Yeah 64 28.07%
Nah Yee 18 7.89%
No Yes 9 3.95%
Yes No 15 6.58%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

gently caress the cost roll out the masks and lockdown NSW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Eediot Jedi posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-14/when-backpackers-went-home-these-australians-tried-farm-work/13047062

ABC interviews some Australians who turned off Netflix and went to farms. My favourite is the 14 year old working 12 hours a day for $14/hr and going "this is fine".

how the hell wasn't there something for him to fill his water up on a farm

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Homework

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Auspol Summer: But hang on.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

RichardA posted:

Well this could get bad. Stirling, Aldgate, Mylor, Bridewater area is around 20k people on fairly large blocks

It's a fair few kilometres south of me but the smoke plume this evening was huge

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Konomex posted:

Can someone outline to me what these people constantly prattling on about Australian values actually are? I studied the history courses and I've listened to them for yonks now and I still can't work out what they are. Unless they value hypocrisy and nepotism. But those aren't Australian values.

i'm assuming eatin onions, fronting shirts and being white

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hmm maybe this lib politician kind of sucks

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

good luck Victoria goons, this poo poo aint no fun and nobody knows it better than y'all

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

from memory for me the 'appeal' of Turnbull compared to other liberal PMs i think was mostly his successful messaging the idea of some bipartisan centrism. the slogan "the sensible centre" was a reasonable attempt at a platform catchphrase and in the crazy age of disinformation, insane partisan rhetoric, Trumpism on the rise, bullshit-adopted-as-fact policy - something remotely sane and bipartisan sounds "good" comparatively.

i think the messaging's success was mostly because him as an individual person was (in comparison to his party) believed in this idea, too. he seemed keen to find something resembling classic, polite evil, instead of the cavalcade of corruption we get now.

but messaging is one thing and in reality, he may as well been a beauty pageant contestant pitching "world peace!" with Trump's election looming over pretty much everything in the world, Abbot and Dutton were everywhere knocking up as much poo poo as possible, even loving Pauline Hanson was enjoying a comeback, and then opportunistic fucks like Morrison were ready and willing to get Turnbull's body in the river too.

i guess i do think Turnbull deserves the enormous scorn and poo poo that being a member of the libs affords, and to describe him as progressive seems like a huge and whacky jump, but i do also think he wanted to restore the ability to have a discourse with one another. even if it's just so people would buy his loving book lol i forgot about that

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 15, 2021

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Auspol Summer: Get out of your house, kiss your nana on the lips.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Budzilla posted:

I can't seem to find this mentioned anywhere. Very horrible if true.

Scotty apologised for it explicitly

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

pretty crazy

this can only be good news for Craig Kelly's constituents however

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Anidav posted:

Hello fellow users have you considered using Bing?

asked with the politeness of a young ask jeeves

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

"the oval office" as a nickname is too great to be squandered on some politician

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

not only do we get a blanket "i dunno" but also some casual victim blaming along the way

nice one dutton you absolute gently caress

(from this https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/feb/24/peter-dutton-refuses-to-say-if-he-was-notified-of-brittany-higgins-allegation)

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I'm not an economist and I am covered in ants but the gist as I understand it is surplus labour places upwards pressure on wages somehow. I forget how this works because of the ants. Maybe it's the opposite? The diamondback ant is a fierce biter.

this just raises further ant-related questions!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Buck Turgidson posted:

In other news the aged care RC report is even more hosed up than expected. The commissioners don't see eye to eye on numerous potential reforms or recommendations either, which is probably going to hamstring whatever skerrick of appetite for reform even exists at this point. If you have some spare time you really ought to read it, it is truly revolting.

my work involves providing support and training to aged care providers. we've been reading through it this morning and yeah it's all over the loving place. recommendations on things like "train up your staff", gee, wow, glad we had a commission for this!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Can't wait for him to face zero consequences and be back to everything as it was tomorrow hell yeah AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE

finally our long national nightmare has just begun

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

christ yeah i can't take more of Porter's snivelling crybaby poo poo

edit: terrible snipe but i stand by the message

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

One of the big problems with Murdoch is, to paraphrase I heard once about Kim Jong-un, "the son is worse than the father."

I always get the names of his sons mixed up, but James, (I think), is all in on the fascist, racist ideologies of Fox News, The Herald-Sun etc. and will likely double down once his old man dies/passes the reigns. And if I remember correctly, (which I may be very wrong on this), he is the one that has been tapped to take over. Whilst Lachlan(?), and Elizabeth(?), have been slowly edged away from positions of power or influence.

All of this may be very wrong, though. I am half remembering articles I read a long time ago.

i think it's the other way around: James and his partner made big contributions to Biden's campaign, basically denounced the direction of Murdoch's editorial empire in an "i'm out" letter. Lachlan meanwhile is the CEO of Fox

edit: not to say James is a great guy, apparently he was pretty instrumental in the big UK phone hacking stuff

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

friendly jordies is as funny as pancreatic cancer

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

thatbastardken posted:

if he's not fash with a red coat i'll be surprised.

maybe a real dumb q but what's the red coat reference to?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Wicked Weasel posted:

Sorry to play devil's advocate, i'm pretty hesitant, but what if Porter didn't do it?

then we can just go back to hating him for the horrible things he has done, like robodebt

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

cogito ergo incommo posted:

I want Bill back. He might have been a 'faceless man', but at least he actually said stuff he believed in, unlike Anthony 'fights tories' Albanese.

:(

at the moment we have scomo, who is a manless face

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

thatfatkid posted:

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/liberal-mp-nicolle-flint-delivers-tearful-farewell-speech-as-she-calls-for-women-s-safety-to-be-above-politics

Looks like the lnp's strategy for today is to try and smear the alp as hypocrites for supposed abuse Nicolle Flint suffered during the last federal election.

The crocodile tears from her are pathetic. "We need to rise above politics and address this as a bi-partisan issue" she says while then going on to blame labor and the unions for the rapey culture of parliament.

FMD these people have no shame at all.

albonese was on radio national this morning responding to this. basically "we're putting a bunch of new policies and codes of conduct in place and are listening to everything being said, we need to do more, this cannot continue." pretty frustratingly political answers but definitely a seismic step better than "at least we're not shooting you in the streets"

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

"You may ask, would a woman really text that, Dennis?

Their phones did."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTbg2bnLW4g

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

love to all the ausgoons in nsw dodging the floods atm, looks pretty insane

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

"i love this place" i say, as i bring myself to climax on my female coworker's desk. "i hope this doesn't come back to haunt me"

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Animal Friend posted:

Scott Morrison headed toward "embattled" status.

He's picked a fight with News Ltd with that sexual harassment claim he clearly made up and they've challenged him on it saying as much. Imagine failing to read the room so badly as a coalition MP you start fighting with Sky and the Arse.

yeah the coalition of evil vs Sky News is a plot turn I didn't see coming and probs won't last long, but I am gonna enjoy it while I can

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the ol 'bride of frankenstein' defence

wow waking up to another day, another accusation of rape by a lib MP. i am glad we're in a situation where people are finally feeling empowered to come out and tell their stories, but loving hell, what deep-seated rot

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

Whilst everything you say is true.

I would argue it's more the mindset that all men are rapists at heart. We all want to rape all the time, and it is only the thin veneer of civility and social mores/pressure that stops us from tearing the clothes off every woman we see.

This mindset allows for both victim blaming, "It was her fault, she dressed slutty/smiled at me once. What else was I supposed to do?", and also what ScoMo was saying about how it was a mistake. A slip, a momentary dropping of the guard, a minor error in judgement that could happen to any of us. And as such shouldn't be looked on too harshly.

Which is hosed and leads to horrible statements/mindsets such as "Well I have a wife, therefore this makes my moral barrier/veneer against my true rapist self stronger. Thus I am better than you." and "Yeah, well I believe in Jesus, and he says not to rape. So the fact that I am obeying the rules laid down to me by him makes me better than you." All of which implies that women should be grateful and feel lucky every second that they aren't being raped.

And none of which addresses the culture that allows these men to do horrible things, (that they know are horrible), and get away with them. Coz the most horrific part of all of this stuff in Parliament House to me is not the rapes/rapists, it's that they are allowed to get away with it scott free. And even after being busted, the PM has to be dragged kicking and screaming into making a statement where he says "It's not nice to wank on a co-workers desk. Maybe if you do that again, I'll change the rules so that you get a written warning. Maybe, I'll be announcing that later, hopefully when this has all blown over."

gently caress them all. gently caress the rapists/creeps, but hyper gently caress those in charge enabling/encouraging and turning a blind eye to what seems like an army of creeps/rapists.

i agree with this generally; the line between "boys will be boys" and the current lib narrative is that "this is common in every workplace" is next to non-existent. to an extent it's true, but it should not and cannot be normalised. i shouldn't have to be proud to say that nobody has jacked off onto a coworker's desk at my work. it's a very low bar to clear.

a real takeaway is that men need to 'regulate' (for want of better word) other grosser men just as much as they need to listen to people bringing this poo poo up. it can't be entirely on victims to do this; staying quiet about creepy mates makes us complicit.

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 25, 2021

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Tingle has turned into straight up burn recently

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

"I'm doing everything I can, as best a bloke can frankly"

like if you wanna get hot and bothered at someone for besmirching blokes don't get pissy at the thread, get loving livid at the pm honestly

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

HazCat posted:

"Now I'm not a rapist, of course", says Scott Morrison. "I'd never make a woman uncomfortable. i care about women. But I would just like to remind this crowd of women, as they protest the violence they suffer under, that other blokes will rape you. While you are thinking about whether or not to protest, just remember that women protesting causes blokes to become rapists, out of spite. Not me, I remind you. I make the noble choice not to rape. But please do remember that it is a choice, and other blokes - not me - choose to rape women because those women choose to be unkind to blokes. And now, I ask you, who's fault is it really?"

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

quote:

NDIS Minister Stuart Robert foreshadowed major changes to the NDIS – introduced by the Gillard government in 2013 – earlier this year after the Federal Court ruled the use of trained sex therapists was a “reasonable and necessary” support that could be funded by the NDIS. He said the federal government would make a “principled decision” because it did not believe taxpayers’ funds “should be used for prostitution services”.

huh about that

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

this is some real Ben Small On ABC stuff dude, maybe read the room

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

love, tolerance, etc is fine, but i think a lot of people would settle for just plain not gettin' sexually assaulted and that's sort of the big topic

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

when someone with legit fury and passion emotively says "stop all white men from being in positions of power" in the context of a conversation about many instances of white men in positions of power abusing that power, yes, I expect you to at minimum ignore it, or even better, appreciate and empathise with the position they are in

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

wow lookin forward to some sterling debate and discussion on that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I wanna play fetch with em a lot