Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Yeah Nah?
This poll is closed.
Yeah Nah 122 53.51%
Nah Yeah 64 28.07%
Nah Yee 18 7.89%
No Yes 9 3.95%
Yes No 15 6.58%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990
crow cannot be stopped

CAW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

freebooter posted:

Looking forward to more tantrums about it from Sydneysiders

yawn

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

nah it’s pretty obvious

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

hambeet posted:

I’m a composting professional

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

Interested to know how much artist kid thinks a life is worth.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

Paracetamol posted:

Edit: I’m not saying I agree with his numbers, but y’all are jumping down his throat at the mere mention of a “cost-benefit analyses” without acknowledging the fact that he has specifically raised a question that there may be a possibility that the finite pool^ of money *might* be better spent elsewhere to save more lives.

No I actually wanted to know what he thought the figure was and how it compared to the government number Sloth gave of $4.2m (I thought I read it in Gittins a while back but it was actually Pascoe).

The point being that even taking Kiddo’s argument at its highest, masking would only need to save a handful of lives (and nothing else) to pay for itself. When you consider additional benefits of reduced transmission (cost of merely ill and not dead patients, being able to move back to normal settings faster) the economic argument for not mandating masks disintegrates.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

The Artificial Kid posted:

There was nothing stupid about a chicken pox party in the world before vaccination. A measles party isn’t such a good idea.

In fact a chicken pox party perfectly captures the reason why we had those thoughts. We contemplated the possibility that we might be all but guaranteed to become infected eventually, and we wondered if it was better to choose to be infected at the least dangerous time, or to simply wait and see what happened. And of course we decided that it was better to just do our best to get through whatever happened. And I know from speaking to colleagues that we weren’t the only ones having those thoughts. Thank you for understanding, Electric Wrigglies.

In your case you were thinking about a great pox party.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

Each person not killed/incapacitated is valued in the millions so good job balancing the books buddy.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

CelestialScribe posted:

Only three cases in Vic today, all linked and already in isolation.

shut er down

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

Konomex posted:

We'll happily put defibrillators in all workplaces and public spaces for ease of access in the event someone has a heart attack, but everyone getting a mask is too costly.

What even is this thinking. Prevention is always the best course of action.

Second-best. Deranged posting is the best.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

Tommunist posted:

Fwiw I've had no problems either

You haven’t gone anywhere.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

Eediot Jedi posted:

The arse has a paywalled article, the blurb claims a high ranking US official says there is strong evidence corona did a runner from a Chinese biological weapons facility.

I really want to see the source on this one.

You’d better wear PPE while you look at it.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

JBP posted:

Nah I get it.

Also I understand turning off the comments because it could be the nicest and best ever ad and still have the algorithm display only the most horrendous top comments.

realbez posted:

gently caress u!!!!

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

Nanpa posted:

Lol gently caress you all, CS is right.

The last set of border restrictions (with respect to the land borders) have been incredibly poorly thought out and ramped up with little to no warning.

There's a clear example of how poorly they've been applied to regions closer to Melbourne than the actual Sydney hotspots and you've all taken it as a fantastic opportunity to engage in a group game of well actually.

Seriously, have a look at the route on a map.

It’s typical mismanagement from the states that don’t have gold standard protocols.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

should’ve voted Deb

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

Sulla Faex posted:

what about the people like me who medically cant wear masks because any form of manifest solidarity makes our skin sizzle like a saturday morning bunnings carpark

Sulla Faex posted:

stop posting

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

Wizard Master posted:

If ever there was any lingering doubt that racism is still alive and well in this country, 6 people were ejected from the cricket test at the SCG due to racial abuse directed at an Indian fielder.

WIZARD MASTER
ЯƎTƧAM ꓷЯAZIW

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

Lid posted:

I appreciate there are a lot of people out there who are being a bit bleeding heart about this, and who are confecting outrage, but they should know that those lives matter too. All lives matter.

Any form of violence, any form of protest that ends in death and destruction is abhorred, The United States goes through great change but any form of protest, whether it is a protest over racial riots or what we have seen on Capitol Hill in recent days is condemned and abhorred.

should have brought back your old avatar for this post

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

Konomex posted:

Won't this just increase demands in guiltotines and the services of blade sharpeners? Not to mention undertakers. It's just capitalism under a different name.

damascus steel guillotines sharpen themselves

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

maybe if enough of us make a wish they’ll come back

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

fez_machine posted:

I got off The Chaser train when one of them wrote an earnest editorial in one of their print publications about how DDT should be reintroduced in Africa.

Essentially, falling hook line and sinker for this professional astroturfer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Bate

Look if you’ve got a better way to drive faces into the ground I’d like to hear it

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

JBP posted:

Maybe 70,000 dead people should grant Alize some insight into why nobody cares that your game of tennis has been jeopardised.

teacup cares

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

word
clod

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

long covid is real

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

The Peccadillo posted:

There should be a rolling lottery where someone just gets to be the Australian royal family for a bit. Like some dude in Bungendore is just the king now. His house is the royal palace, half torn up tiles in the bathroom be damned his home is the palace he is the crown voice of god on earth and his children are living saints. No consultation

Cross the vice-regal system we have now with something like the Malaysian monarchy where it rotates between the states every five years or something.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

Konomex posted:

Theft is only bad if its an individual stealing from a business, if a business commits wage theft it is not only legal, but you're not allowed to demand your fair earned compensation back. What. The. gently caress.

If we had a half way competent opposition they would nail the government to the loving wall and not stop until they were flattened.

normies don’t care though

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

Konomex posted:

They cared the last 2 times the libs tried to push this poo poo through, but suddenly radio silence from Labor?

The party will do it, but you talked about nailing the government to the wall and the question is who in the electorate is this a priority issue for.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

You can link it to the fully half of this government’s policy ambitions* being to cut taxes to the same large corporates / MNCs who are stealing from workers, screwing them every which way when they’re not, workers aren’t getting pay increases, small business suppliers are getting shafted by the majors, banks and other lenders are just as corrupt and rapacious as ever and the government balked at implementing
the RC recommendations.

Unfortunately I think the time to go full Huey Long was 2019 but otoh things haven’t improved since then.

*The other half being to cut taxes for the wealthy. I would also accept building car parks in Adelaide.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

Konomex posted:

So, wait. Do they send it to the state of Israel, or do they send it to relatives in Israel? And were they not taxed on their income or dividends, or are people just upset that they're not taxed for gifting it. I wasn't aware people wanted the government to tax gifts, they seemed quite irate at death taxes.

Donations to foreign charities aren’t deductible; to approximate what the article says is happening you’d have to commit tax evasion so I think the writer is just full of it.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

Tommunist posted:

Good luck WA gremlins!

Looks like your state is acting quickly and appropriately

Not quickly enough, the only option is to send in liquidators to prevent wildlife and other residents from escaping.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

hearing unconfirmed reports that mods and/or rockers are at it again

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

I like our current system that minimises community exposure to tommunist

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

Tommunist posted:

Im currently in your hovel playing with ure dog

good she needs to burn some energy

SHALASHASKA HAWKE fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Feb 4, 2021

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

bell jar posted:

A Cat! I Am Simply Amazed!

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

thatbastardken posted:

just let millions of feral dogs loose to chase the cats

i foresee no problems with this approach

where will you find that many PHON voters?

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

Solemn Sloth posted:

You’re explicitly allowed to go beyond 5km for the four reasons if you can’t meet them within your 5km

if I hunt an uncommon bird to eat that’s basically groceries right

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

Anidav posted:

Should have been a Dreamcast.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

freebooter posted:

Getting the AZ vaccine doesn't mean you can never get any other vaccine again. As for "eggs in too few baskets," should the government have ordered millions of doses of all 50+ candidates that were in trials?

yes, and give all of them to GSC at the same time to he explodes like the vampire in Blade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

BurgerQuest posted:

I miss CelestialScribe, I feel they would have opinions right now

thread was much better when they could share medical advice for me to follow