Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Yeah Nah?
This poll is closed.
Yeah Nah 122 53.51%
Nah Yeah 64 28.07%
Nah Yee 18 7.89%
No Yes 9 3.95%
Yes No 15 6.58%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hope you’re all ready for lockdown 3.0!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
That is a Concern Troll: Finance

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Don’t engage don’t engage don’t engage

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Artificial Kid posted:

$220 per work day x 2 days = $440
X 31,000 cases per year = $13.6 mil, not $136 mil

So by your figures it would take 20 years to pay off, not 2

I’d question 2 days being the average number lost to a true flu infection, though. It should be more like 1-2 weeks. Still the pandemic certainly has shown us the side benefit of being more careful about respiratory viruses.

310,000 cases per year

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I think even a lot of Dandrews detractors are willing to say he deserves some time off after the heavy lifting he's being doing the past few months.

Well, unless you ever look at the readers' letters in a Murdoch paper.

Unrelated but I just got to the page in the relationships thread where a bunch of enormous morons were posting about how a 12 year old should have just woken up to a smoke alarm or something and was getting very annoyed that I couldn’t tell them how stupid they are because I’m months behind but then you did it, albeit in much nicer way than I would have. So thanks for that!

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Konomex posted:

Can we not lump WA in with the rest of the country?

I’ve been asking for this for ye- ah nevermind

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Artificial Kid posted:

I absolutely DON'T know that masking will cost millions per life saved, and I've never claimed to know that. I've suggested its possible that it would in the very specific case of NSW, where numbers are low, contact tracing is in place and properly executed lockdowns stand ready if contact tracing isn't working. And bearing in mind that we do not save a life for every case prevented, but for every 50-100 cases prevented.

There is no theoretical ceiling on the number of lives that can be saved by masks if we assume that COVID will become endemic, that nothing else will be done to contain it and that the human race will simply trudge on living with COVID for millennia. The ceiling on the number of lives that masks can actually save in NSW in this outbreak is the number of actual lives that were actually going to be lost in this outbreak without masks, and indications from NSW performance in the first wave and with the Crossroads outbreak are that that number may not be very high. Looking at what's happening in front of us, right now this outbreak has shown no signs of expanding non-linearly in NSW. There was an initial rush of cases from two superspreader events that occurred before the first case detection, and since then the numbers have fallen back to around 5-10 per day, which we can hope will be closed off by tracing and isolation.
It would be wrongly applied if I were claiming to have discovered the one true policy prescription for dealing with the Northern Beaches outbreak, which I never have. I'm doing some public health oriented napkin maths around the question of how efficient masking might be in a low-case environment, which I've learned is a topic nobody finds interesting except as it pertains to what an evil moron it makes me. I haven't tried to claim any knowledge we don't have about how COVID works or the effectiveness of masks. I'm simply pointing out that if contact tracing works again as it has once before, then there won't be all that much scope for masks to make a difference. And if contact tracing doesn't work, then we'll be locking down. In either scenario, the difference between mandatory masks and voluntary masks might not be very much at all, in which case it will be an expensive intervention (in which I have been and am happily participating).

gently caress u!!!!

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tommunist posted:

No, gently caress you.

Super rude

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

hooman posted:

Singapore has gone back on their word on not allowing police to access their coronavirus tracing app.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/singapore-police-can-access-covid-19-contact-tracing-data-for-criminal-investigations/

What.. a ... loving... surprise.

lmao :monocle:

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I can't believe Dan Andrews killed this woman's baby.

https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1346359197449895936

Ok I have never heard someone refer to themselves as four weeks pregnant before. This is pretty offensive to people who have suffered pregnancy loss.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
It sounds heartless (which is what the author of that article is going for), and she has every right to be sad because I’m sure she was excited and happy to be pregnant, but at 4 weeks it isn’t much more than a period, so writing that article to demonise the border closures is a huge stretch and pulling on heart strings that don’t need to be pulled on basically

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Eat poo poo fuckwit

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Lord Bude posted:

The maximum penalty in QLD for an employee selling smoking products to a person under 18 is 420 penalty units. And it’s a mandatory ‘appear in court’ offence not an on the spot fine. A penalty unit is currently worth $133 but can also be imposed as a period of imprisonment.

And 69 months imprisonment?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

cvisors posted:

I can’t do this anymore. Seems all one needs to be is a white male and you can get away with rape.

Some ground work here, so you can understand the story. I transitioned I think almost 20 years ago.

But in 1988, I was brutally raped to the point I had to stuff toilet paper up my arse so I didn’t bleed all over my school uniform.

I tried to tell a teacher what had happened, his response “boys can’t get raped”

So I didn’t know who I could turn to, I’d just been in trouble with the AFP (a whole other story) which had put so much strain on my parents that I couldn’t tell my mum.

So I was so loving alone, with a split arse.

Guess what it was a loving private school, who’s only concern was that I was seen in my blazer kicking out train windows the day this happened.

So gently caress The AG, I won’t even name the useless bastard.

gently caress Scotty from marketing, who doesn’t have a clue.

A year ago I finally told mum. And thank Hashem, she went on the warpath, and went to the school.

Next step. I am going to make a statement to the police, not that I’m going to press charges.

I just want it to be recorded.

Sorry for my rant, but the politics right now is a constant reminder of how those with privilege can get away with things.

Hey what happened to you is absolutely loathsome and I’m really sorry you’ve had to live through it. I hope what you’re doing about it now will help improve things for you in some way, but you’re doing the right thing.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Animal Friend posted:

Maybe its personal hang-ups because of things that have happened to me but loving same.

If I don't know somebody and they do anything but accidental contact with me I tense the gently caress up.

Also pro moves to avoid shaking hands if feeling uncomfortable doing so:

1)Cough/sneeze into said hand the moment you enter a venue

2) Visibly check and wipe your palm on your shirt every time before holding it out.

3) Live in stage 4 lockdown.

4) The double bluff shake. Requires a lot of perception. Initial grip must be soft but firm. Then, depending on what you anticipate, double down. Handshakes, at least among men, are often a stupid power dynamic. Do the opposite with you're hand and face as to what's expected. eg: if you meet with a guy who tries to squeeze you tight, go super loose in your hand but make direct eye contact and smile confidently, making eye contact with everybody in sight but the person you are shaking hands with.

It is worth noting I have used none of the above points to my own personal advantage.

don’t do that

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I got the joke but that doesn’t look anything like Morrison

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Stop

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

thatfatkid posted:

Lol at anyone in this thread believing the bullshit claims of genocide in Xinjiang.

Every single time that claim is made by the media the source always eventually ends up coming from Adrian zenz, renowned CIA asset andGerman fundamentalist Christian that wants to save the godless Chinese heathens from themselves. He's also famous for blatantly cooking the stats and just outright making poo poo up about china/Xinjiang.

Check out the eurasia thread in cspam for a proper deconstruction of the wests blatant propaganda effort re: Xinjiang.

PS scomo is a oval office

i see

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don’t have any app my phone just goes to the vic government site when I scan those codes

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

The libs are going to win easily. They're going to gain seats.

Hey weren’t you talking up an alp win a couple of weeks ago?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don’t disagree. I don’t think labor have a chance in hell of winning the next election.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Just last week I got lambasted by family when we were watching the news and I saw a footy crowd all grouped up together with absolutely no form of social distancing and I said that it was irresponsible.

"Don't be silly, it's over! There's no disease here anymore so no one can spread anything."

:sigh: wish they were right.

Going to the footy with friends and family and big crowds is very good. As soon as this scare/wave/6 month lockdown is over I’ll be doing it again as soon as I’m allowed to.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Every loving news story about restrictions always has people saying the same thing.

"These restrictions are difficult and annoying for me. Me me me."

I don't think I've seen a single person or company being interviewed who has said, "It will be difficult, but we know why it's being done and want everyone to be safe."

I didn’t say anything about not following restrictions

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

I'll take MY SON to any PARK I choose!

That’s right!

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
He isn’t doing any job

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Oh, I'm sorry. You were being serious.

Relentlessly

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I hope every eligible but unvaccinated person burns in hell the icu

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Comstar posted:

I have multiple family members in 1a in Victoria STILL unable to book a time to get the jab. All Scotts fault.

The responsibility of who did this to the people who have been told for months by the media “you gave 1 in a million chance don’t do it!” Is Scott.

Just like the people and animals and plants who were killed in the bushfires. He is responsible.

And he will never pay for his crimes.

Yes Scott has a lot to answer for, but he won’t. And I’m sure there are people unable to get the shot despite wanting it for whatever reason like living in the country or being too old to get themselves to one of the mass vaccination places maybe. However, you don’t need an appointment to walk into one of the many mass vax places and get a vaccine and a lot of people capable of doing that just haven’t.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

DRINK ME posted:

I’m up on the VIC/NSW border temporarily and today there was a lot of caravans and loaded up four wheel drives passing through town. I don’t know if this happened last lockdown but it’s surprising to see how many people getting out.

I bet they’re all unvaccinated boomers crawling with covid worms

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Please tell me if my understand is way off, because I’m not eligible so I’m only going off the accounts of people I know who have got the jab, but can you not just turn up to a mass vax centre and get the jab if you’re eligible? Why bother with the cumbersome and useless appointment booking system when you can just walk up and get stabbed?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Like a lot of people seem to be throwing their hands in the air because they can’t get an appointment and calling it a day

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

So at press conferences they were pretty clear that the people only made eligible by reducing age limit to 40 need to book on the phone. However a lot of the website material lists separately whether vaccine centres are taking walk up over 50s and whether they’re taking walk up under 50s. It’s not clear to me (because of the use of the term eligible) whether 40-50 year olds need to also meet one of the previous eligibility criteria to qualify for walk up service, or if they’re all good to go at any of those centres to receive AZ. Messaging has been extremely loving poor imo

Sounds like it. Pretty frustrating.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bill Posters posted:

If you are eligible for the pfizer vaccine then you need to book because it can't be stored at normal fridge temperatures for long before it needs to be used. Therefore they need to be able to ensure it will be used before sending it to the vaccination hubs.

The AZ vaccine has no such issue so it can be stored wherever and used whenever. Therefore walkups are fine.

It might be different now that they’ve just opened it up to 40+ people but that wasn’t true before. I know three people who have rocked up to the sunshine hospital with no appointment and been given the Pfizer jab. They all said nobody was there and they were in and out with the appointment for a second dose booked in pretty quickly and painlessly.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

The Liberals are revolting

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

The implication being that that is a trolley of your poo poo posts

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tommunist posted:

Its an awkward joke

You’re an awkward joke

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
That is NOT a good story

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Chadzok posted:

OK, let me do this one more time (I'm responding mainly to the "from what I understand").

The statement should be rephrased: "the risk of getting a blood clot and dying from Astrazeneca, for my age group, is higher than the current chance of catching COVID and dying, in Australia, based on the low transmission scenario in that PDF file I saw".

Mate, of course you have to actually catch covid to die from covid. This is such a silly argument. Huge :actually: energy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

For Victoria’s registration system you can’t complete registration without declaring which eligible category you fall into (no option to leave blank / not yet eligible)

And they check your credentials on arrival

Edit: correction. They check after you get to the front of the possibly hours long queue