Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Yeah Nah?
This poll is closed.
Yeah Nah 122 53.51%
Nah Yeah 64 28.07%
Nah Yee 18 7.89%
No Yes 9 3.95%
Yes No 15 6.58%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

freebooter posted:

Auckland did, and I don't think anyone would dispute it's been a better year for most New Zealanders than most Sydneysiders and Melburnians.

The general line of thinking in Melbourne, after what basically felt like eight months in lockdown, is that you'd rather do a short and sharp lockdown out of an abundance of caution than wring your hands and drag your feet for ages and ultimately have to do a longer one, even if that's not the most likely outcome. A week or two of lockdown is loving nothing.

When we went into the lockdown here in SA as well that was the feeling as well, based on having seen what happened to Victoria. If this NSW outbreak spreads there's gonna be some real hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

10 locally transmitted cases in Victoria in the last day, traced back to the NSW outbreak.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

CelestialScribe posted:

Man that Victorian outbreak really got out of hand huh

You really are one of the fuckers who throws their cigarette butts out the car window in summer because most of the time it doesn't start a bush fire aren't you.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

CelestialScribe posted:

Who smokes in the year of our lord 2020

I know it's bad for him and others but my son really likes it so you know.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yeast posted:

3 Day lockdown for greater Brisbane, mask mandate for outside the home, 9 cases of UK strain.

Good luck BrisGoons.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

hooman posted:

It's like the difference between Tony Abbott, Malcolm Turnbull and Scott Morrison.

Tony Abbott is a genuine shithead, who thinks he's doing the right thing, but is a controlling patriarchal rear end in a top hat who won't relinquish any decision making whatsoever to those he sees as lesser.

Turnbull is a cynical shithead, who knows what the right thing to do is, but refuses to do it because of political calculus to triangulate himself into power and be self serving.

Morrisson is a bootlicking shithead who weasels and blames others at every opportunity and is filled with nothing but marketing language and empty platitudes. He knows nothing, and believes in nothing.

Fire all of them into the sun.

EDIT: I'm also aware that it's much harder to fire someone into the sun than it is to just launch randomly into space, but you know what, they're worth the effort. Howard can go too.

One upside of just launching them into an Earth adjacent solar orbit is that once a year or so for the rest of time people can point out the point of light to their children and celebrate the good that was done.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

froglet posted:

I think everyone here agrees with that statement, but we can also acknowledge his own party is complicit in creating an environment that foments the very kind of thing he's speaking out against.

But I didn't want to embolden THOSE sort of racists says prominent member of the emboldening racists party.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Ol Sweepy posted:

The name Wolohan reminds me of the monks in AOE2 so I feel like we're off to a better start than we would have been with Andrews.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-02/scott-morrison-dresses-down-craig-kelly-over-covid-19-claims/13114764

Such a dressing down! How can Craig possibly recover from such stern words?

This is such another loving cop out and also totally ignores the fact that with the current need for information to be distributed quickly many of the states are also using Facebook as a platform for people to get information.

I'm already resigned to idiots reelecting him after proclaiming him a new Howard for passing the low bar of managing to survive in office for an entire term.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Konomex posted:

McGowan said it was a Federal responsibility to oversee Quarantine, and in the act it specifically calls out a number of locations for use as Quarantine. Christmas Island being one of them.

Why we aren't directing all cases through Christmas Island or the other facilities which are cut off from the mainland population is beyond me. Any breaks in quarantine can be squarely put on the Potato and the PM for neglecting their responsibilities. We don't need to use hotels or caravan parks, we have dedicated facilities already.

I keep seeing people suggesting this, but I haven't seen anyone put forward anything to say that those facilities are suitable as Covid quarantine facilities. Remember that for them to work the facilities not only have to prevent Covid getting out, but have to prevent those staying there from catching it as well.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

freebooter posted:

What makes hotels suitable as COVID quarantine facilities?

Not all hotels, but the ones which are suitable generally have:

-Rooms that are suitable for someone to be stuck in for prolonged periods with self-contained bathroom facilities and the like.

-Staff and facilities that are already reasonably well trained and setup for no-contact dealings with guests when preparing and delivering meals.

-Ventilation systems that minimize the internal recycling of air. Covid-19 has spread through internal ventilation and here in Adelaide it was determined that even a former hospital was ultimately unsuitable as a quarantine facility due to the airflow.

-Positioning within easy transfer range of major international airports.

-Positioning within easy transfer range of major hospitals.

-Positioning within easy range of the staff needed to work in the facilities.

Most of the times we have had a breach of quarantine in hotels has been due to unforeseen events, previously unconsidered modes of transmission, or staff error. It wouldn't be impossible to setup remote facilities, but it would greatly complicate things a lot. The more complication, the more chance of mistakes happening.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

hambeet posted:

I play videos games in my downtime.

Put a VR headset on every cat so they think they are out hunting wildlife but are actually just on a treadmill.

1 - Millions of cats on treadmills generates green energy.
2 - Building all the infrastructure generates jobs.
3 - No cat culling necessary.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

It's quite possible that the WA Liberals are looking at how the Liberal government here in SA is handling renewables. They have become massively more supportive of renewables and emission targets since entering government than they were before being elected.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Animal Friend posted:

I mean, he has been writing in the Guardian about the need for a Green New Deal in Australia and largely fallen into the Fraser-esque role of critical Liberal talking head since leaving politics. Being under constant attack from Sky and Murdoch papers probably helped too.

Bigger difference is that Fraser largely kept many of the same policy views he had while in power, and the Liberal party left him behind as they embraced the racist fuckwit vote. Turnbull already showed us that he had no spine while in power.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

freebooter posted:

Yes, please take your advice and make decisions about getting vaccinated from your GP and from the Australian health authorities, not from forum posters on somethingawful.com.

Also I feel this doesn't get repeated enough: getting the AZ vaccine now will not preclude you from getting a Pfizer vaccine when/if it becomes available. Any vaccine is better than no vaccine. We're probably getting annual booster shots of some kind or another for the rest of our lives anyway.

If something like this happens there has to be a real chance that the flu vaccine will get rolled in right?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I was hooking up with a woman for a while who worked at a JSP, dropped contact with her after a FB screed where she defended Work for the Dole as being good, even when stats showed it causing worse employment outcomes, because those getting benefits were lazy and essentially needed to be punished.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

For fucks sake either make jobseeker a decent payment, or replace WFTD with a government funded guaranteed job plan.

Our economic system relies on there being hundreds of thousands of unemployed people by design, to punish those people for then existing is hosed.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Electric Wrigglies posted:

It improves safety so why wouldn't you do it? Except for practical reasons it will take a while of course.

I am sure in time they will slowly push back poles from roads as well. It is expensive but it does improve safety so bit by bit you will notice that improve.

Destroying every tree within 40 meters of a road effectively turns all the roads into 80 meter wide highways. That is absolutely hosed environmentally.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

GoldStandardConure posted:

WA Libs have already given up and the election is still two weeks away lol. They announced defeat on the radio yesterday.

It's an interesting strategy. Pre-emptive damage limitation from the inevitable blowout, but also could get them a few votes from people who think that Labor is so guaranteed to win that they can vote for someone else.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Mood:

https://twitter.com/patregular/status/1366955340193914881?s=20

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Wheezle posted:

Seriously. I think Morrison more than any other PM in recent memory is entirely there because he believes it's his right to rule. He doesn't believe he has a responsibility to do anything and actively rejects any suggestion otherwise. He just wants to sit on the throne.

He wanted to be there to fight for "religious freedom" for his church to do whatever the gently caress they want, and Covid-19 utterly scuttled any patience from the public for spending time on things like that.

What a loving waste of a decade of opportunities everything since Abbott was elected has been.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Comstar posted:

I give it 2 days before the AG is embattled.

https://twitter.com/criprights/status/1366992551647977474?s=20

He walks into a office and yells at a random worker for no reason. There are going to be more stories. The only question is, does Murdoch want him out of the job?

If Murdoch sees him as a liability then he will want him gone.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

How good is it that I don't have you gunned down for protesting *smug smile*

https://twitter.com/sirdansmith/status/1371309237112958977?s=19

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Spookydonut posted:

We now have an attorney general that can't be involved in any matters involving the ABC or the federal courts because it's a conflict of interest.

edit: Also he's hosed up because the burden of proof in civil court is much lower than criminal court.

It almost makes you wonder if they intentionally set it up so that he can resign for the reason of the conflict of interest, rather than looking like he's resigning because of the allegations.

Almost.

Actual truth is much more likely that he's just another one of the born to rule mindset fuckheads.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Let's, worst case scenario is that some more windows get shattered.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

SA Labor continuing to be good on the renewables front, have just announced that if they win the next state election they will be building a hydrogen power plant to provide baseload energy. The hydrogen will be generated from excess renewable production, and excess of the hydrogen will be sold.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I still think Morrison will make it to the next election and probably win because hope is a lie, but I'm starting to believe it's at least possible that the Libs dump him this year as part of going to the next election with a looking forward/rebuilding after Covid-19 approach.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

"They say the last person to finish has to eat the whole desk." - Scott Morrison.

Well that's enough internet for today.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

freebooter posted:

Yeah actually that's probably very likely. People (not incorrectly) attribute their personal COVID lives to the states and when it comes to federal polling it's the same old same old about interest rates and the economy or whatever.

Yup. Doesn't help that there was a perception that the Fed's had to be dragged into JobKeeper, have continually criticised states for lockdowns and border closures which people see as having kept their local areas safe, and have completely skipped their responsibility on international arrivals back into Australia. Now the slow vaccine rollout risks blowing up in their faces.

They will try and run on the record of how Australia came through Covid-19, but part of our lucky country mentality is that people expect Australia to do ok. Look how little credit Labor got for steering us through the GFC.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

*rushing into the thread with a page of notes*

Uh, maybe you're the real racist, how good is fast food, hmm... something about bicycles?

A couple of days ago the Adelaide City Council voting to abandon plans for an East-West bike path through the city after years of planning and consultation (and a multi-million dollar grant from the state government to build it) because some lawyers and a Greek church threatened to sue them since it would result in a reduced number of street parking spaces.

Fuckers.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

freebooter posted:

I read something like 90% of them in Brisbane are vaccinated and she was just from the unlucky 10% that hadn't been yet. Unless it's not a question of "yet" and she refused it. The COVID megathreads are rife with anecdotal stories about anti-vaxx or at least vaxx-suspicious medical workers.

It does feel weird to me that Perth, Adelaide and Brisbane sailed clean through 2020 with no hotel breaches, and now in 2021 they've all had at least one.

The Adelaide hotel breach/pizza shop lockdown was last year.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Producing?!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The thing with climate change that most bugs me is how people overestimate the gulf of time.

We talk about warming levels by 2100 like it's this far off unimaginable time away.

I'm probably gonna start having kids in the next year or so. If I have grandkids they will probably be middle aged In 2100.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

New Zealand is going to start letting people in from Australia without quarantine periods in the next couple of weeks.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

adamantium|wang posted:

https://twitter.com/abc730/status/1379366587388416000?s=19

Government is claiming that the ministers in this group are cabinet-in-confidence and are refusing to release their names or the projects they approved.

I can picture Morrisons smug smile as he explains this to a journalist.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yeah we live in a strata, and the only reason I did that was because it meant we could get a massive garden for the price/location since it can't be divided. Have lived in an apartment before that my ex bought and never again.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Every time there is a leak from quarantine millions of Australians immediately fear more lockdowns. There are still Australians overseas struggling to get home. It's perfectly understandable that people want a major first step in the long road back to normal to happen.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Organza Quiz posted:

I don't mind waiting for a vaccine while I live my life basically normally when hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of people around the world are dying and might start dying slower if vaccines go to those countries instead.

And if the government had used this messaging it would be less of an issue.

The problem is that they are increasingly showing themselves to be incompetent.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

We shouldn't be getting vaccines ahead of people in countries where Covid victims are dying in large numbers.

However the fact it's taken so long to ramp up local manufacturing is a direct consequence of the policies that have gutted domestic science and manufacturing that this government always pushes when they have power.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Homora Gaykemi posted:

i feel like the whole ~wills and kate~ marriage reinvigorated interest in the royal family amongst younger people so probably not, especially if they bypass charles once liz croaks

unless the harry and megan drama manages to blow the whole thing up, inshallah

I don't get why people think there's the slightest chance they will skip over Charles.

We'll get him for 20 years, then Will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-14/military-reminded-lethal-violence-defend-australian-values/100066796

quote:

Military reminded core business is to use 'lethal violence' to defend Australia's values and sovereignty

Assistant Defence Minister Andrew Hastie has told military personnel their "core business" will always be the "application of lethal violence" and warned "mission clarity" is vital to their work.

The blunt directive from the former Special Forces officer came as Morrison government figures also took aim at the Australian Defence Force (ADF) after scantily clad dancers helped to formally commission the Navy's newest ship, a move one senior MP dubbed a "shitshow".

Mr Hastie, who was last year promoted to his frontbench role, outlined his vision for the defence force in a message to his West Australian constituents.

"Our military serves a vital role across Australian society, whether during pandemic, flood or fire," Mr Hastie wrote in his most recent electorate newsletter.

"But the ADF's core business will always be the application of lethal violence in the defence of our values, sovereignty and interests. We should never forget that."

The Liberal MP, who entered Federal Parliament in 2015, previously served in the elite Special Air Service Regiment for five years, including deploying to the war in Afghanistan.

In his emailed newsletter, Mr Hastie argued that "mission clarity is vital in the profession of arms".

"Without it, confusion grows — confusion about role, identity and purpose. And confusion is deadly on the battlefield, at sea or in an aerial dogfight," he said.

"Mission focus is the foundation of victory. It keeps everyone driving towards a singular purpose."

'We've gone a little bit woke'

Senior Morrison government figures said the Assistant Minister's message closely aligned with the directives new Defence Minister Peter Dutton issued to the ADF's top brass during their initial meetings.

Inside government, there are frustrations over recent military decisions seen as too "politically correct", such as a 2018 directive banning soldiers from wearing "death" symbols.

Concerns are also growing over the Defence Department's ability to deliver on ambitious demands such as those set out in the multi-billion-dollar Naval Shipbuilding Program.

Liberal backbencher Phillip Thompson, who is also a former soldier, said ministers Dutton and Hastie were making sure the ADF was focused on its main tasks.

"Having Minister Dutton at the helm and leading our Australian Defence Force, we're bringing back our core values — we've gone a little bit woke over the past few years and we can't afford to be doing that."

The Queensland backbencher argued the ADF had lurched "too far to the left" with its social agenda in recent years.

"Our ADF shouldn't be left or right, they should be straight down the middle of what their job is, and their job is to defend our nation, our interests, our values, our sovereignty, but also when we go on operations, have an unapologetic aggression and violence to get the mission done."

Neil James from the Australia Defence Association backed Mr Hastie's comments on the military's "core business", but rejected Mr Thompson's claim the ADF was becoming too "politically correct".

"The whole point about banning stupid cartoon symbols in the defence force is to restore professionalism as a war fighting organisation," he said.

"It's not a case of political correctness, it's a case of getting rid of a stupid young fashion that detracts from the professionalism."

'What would Horatio Nelson think of this shitshow?'

One recent incident that caused annoyance inside federal government ranks was Navy's decision last weekend to invite a local group of scantily clad dancers to perform a routine that included twerking.
"The dancers are beside the point — we're meant to be a fighting force," one government frontbencher told the ABC, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

"A question worth pondering: what would Horatio Nelson think of this shitshow?"

The minister claimed, "many MPs have expressed surprise at this ceremony to government".

Mr Thompson questioned the appropriateness of having dancers.

"Standards in the ADF, and definitely when commissioning a ship, should be a little bit higher than that," he said.

"We've got the CDF, we've got members of Parliament there, and the Governor-General's there, I don't think it's appropriate to be twerking".

In 2019, when he was an LNP candidate, Mr Thompson apologised for a 2012 tirade on social media threatening to harm Muslims.

Well this is just great.