Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Spaghett posted:

Thank you. This makes it possible that I'll live in the dumbest timeline where fake space politics is held on the same platform as regular politics.

A straight line can be drawn between fake space politician Vilerat's real world death in Benghazi while playing internet spaceships, and Donald Trump becoming president of the united states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
What was the name of that station that would randomly open fire on people, hostile or friendly, and no matter how it was configured it would just keep doing that?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Animal-Mother posted:

What was the name of that station that would randomly open fire on people, hostile or friendly, and no matter how it was configured it would just keep doing that?

I had to ask in chat but 6-24 maybe?

e:

The original 6-24 tower
6-24 began as a simple True Sansha large tower in QY6, placed to serve as our staging pos during the first invasion. During one siege, it managed to bag a sieged revelation using only its anchored modules. Through the course of the campaign, it became sentient and eventually went skynet, shooting every blue that came near it. Naturally this made it a hero of the swarm and it became the de-facto mascot of the Delve campaign. It continued to serve as a staging pos when deadtear actually logged in to use his gooncannon during the next few months of delve action. Unfortunately, it was destroyed during BoB's reconquest of QY6. A bit of goonfleet died with it. Although the tower was killed, the mods remained and continued to shoot anything that arrived on grid with them. Subsequently the mods were re-anchored and used for the new QY6 tower, reviving skynet and spreading its influence throughout Delve.

The new 6-24 tower
After the Band of Brothers headshot and subsequent invasion, a new tower has been anchored on the very same moon. The very same spirit that inhabited the original 6-24 is back and boy is it pissed; blues have been shot and bystanders are fleeing for cover.

Facts about 6-24
6-24 doesn't care what corp you are in
6-24 doesn't care what alliance you are in
6-24 doesn't care what ship you are flying
6-24 doesn't even care if you're on grid with it
6-24 will loving kill you

Otacon fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 4, 2021

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

shame on an IGA posted:

A straight line can be drawn between fake space politician Vilerat's real world death in Benghazi while playing internet spaceships, and Donald Trump becoming president of the united states.

This makes it sound like he was signed in to Eve when they got attacked.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

Does this require more effort than shitposting, because it is intriguing but I'm lazy

mining is boring and takes effort/time. this is much easier. i made about 200b isk just doing this in between poo poo posts. i never needed to even undock or use a spaceship

Rutibex posted:

Do not spend your money on space drugs! I will teach you how to be rich, you can get started with a little bit of money but the more you have the better. It grows exponentially, the more you have the better the opportunities you can take advantage of. Here is how you can get started:

This Dark Blood Thermal Hardener is selling for 7m, but you can buy one for 3.5m. Each time you get a hit on this you will make about 3m profit (after taxes). Thats not much, but it is basically free money and amounts to about 6 clicks worth of effort and a bit of patience. But how likely are you to actually get someone to sell you this? That is why you must look at the "Price History" screen. Notice that pretty much every day 10+ of this module are sold, and at least once a day someone dumps it for the Buy price. This means people have been making money trading this thing for the last 30 days, and you will too!

Why do I need lots of isk? That Dark Blood Thermal Hardener module is only worth a few million! Well, you won't make much money trading only one module! Like the Small Plasma Smartbomb II example above, there are many more solid things for someone with a small bank account to invest in. People are selling these for 150k, thats basically free! You are going to want to max out your orders, hit as many profitable modules as you can. The more buy orders you have on the market at once (in different commodities) the more money you make!

The market for stuff scales into the billions! There are many ships and modules that cost this much or more. You will not be able to invest in 20+ things that all cost 1b each if you only have a few billion in the bank :capitalism: There are traps though, this ship for example. Looks quite juicy, buys for 570m sell for 1.75b, that's a healthy profit! But look at the price history, no one has sold a Kronos at that price ever. You would be wasting your time.

But there is easy money to be had. Take a look at these ice harvesting "excavator" drones. Buy for 930m, and sell for 1.28b. That is a healthy profit, especially when you concider that someone selling "excavator" drones is often selling a play set of 5. If you have an extra 5b sitting around to leave on the market you can net a 1b isk profit for 6-10 clicks worth of effort, but you need the money to do it!

This has been a public service announcement. Please do not buy skill injectors or PLEX!

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Rutibex posted:

mining is boring and takes effort/time. this is much easier. i made about 200b isk just doing this in between poo poo posts. i never needed to even undock or use a spaceship

drat nice
i honestly might try it out solely for the "haha number go up" factor even if im not planning on dedicating much time to it

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

hbag posted:

drat nice
i honestly might try it out solely for the "haha number go up" factor even if im not planning on dedicating much time to it

yeah its basically stock market trading, except there is no SEC :twisted:

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Rutibex posted:

yeah its basically stock market trading, except there is no SECS

haha look what I did

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Rutibex posted:

yeah its basically stock market trading, except there is no SEC :twisted:

so i can larp the stock market without risking my maintenance loan? cool

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

yeah gently caress it im installing it
ill look around for info on what to do first or some poo poo before i get into trading

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Otacon posted:

there are literal goon sponsored high-sec and low-sec mining fleets, and all are encouraged to join

my old goonfleet duder is chilling in jita right now after i resubbed last year just to take painkillers and shoot rats in hisec npc corps while bored out of my skull so poo poo maybe ill hop on this choo choo train

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

the gently caress kind of launcher is this

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08d2cnt

good interview/podcast with the extremely rad aoife wilson talking to mittens

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

That was pro click - very interesting and, not going to lie, a little creepy

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

once ive figured out what the gently caress im doing ill probably try and join the goonswarm

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I've finally got through the tutorial lol

Unfortunately I last joined gs with another character so there is probably gonna be some palaver getting hooked up again

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

sebmojo posted:

I've finally got through the tutorial lol

Unfortunately I last joined gs with another character so there is probably gonna be some palaver getting hooked up again

right now im stuck looking at the character creation screen and googling poo poo because i have no idea if it actually matters at all what starting empire i enlist with or if its just flavour

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

hbag posted:

right now im stuck looking at the character creation screen and googling poo poo because i have no idea if it actually matters at all what starting empire i enlist with or if its just flavour

just flavour, and the look of your starting ship

i think there's like a tiny boost in the favoured weapon types?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Cat Hatter posted:

I don't know if he was literally playing EVE, but he was in jabber talking to fellow goons. It's in the second Empires of Eve book (by Andrew Groen).

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

hbag posted:

once ive figured out what the gently caress im doing ill probably try and join the goonswarm

Don't spend too long in highsec, there's not much point unless it's an alt you're going to keep there permanently. The best newbee isk plan:

1. Join GoonWaffe as soon as possible
2. Join fleets and constantly drop hints about being a newbee
3. Wait for golden showers

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Cat Hatter posted:

I was on goonfleet jabber that night and I knew that something terrble had happened in Benghazi hours before it was on american cable news

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Phlegmish posted:

Don't spend too long in highsec, there's not much point unless it's an alt you're going to keep there permanently. The best newbee isk plan:

1. Join GoonWaffe as soon as possible
2. Join fleets and constantly drop hints about being a newbee
3. Wait for golden showers

lmao aight
im also not sure if i should put an actual name in the "full name" box or if i should just put "hbag" idk how fuckin larpy we're getting

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

hbag posted:

lmao aight
im also not sure if i should put an actual name in the "full name" box or if i should just put "hbag" idk how fuckin larpy we're getting

Goons don't RP but put whatever you want unless it's a slur or Rick and Morty meme that we're contractually obligated to look down upon

If you're going to do the market trading thing, it would be a good idea to leave behind a highsec alt in Jita (with good Caldari Navy standings eventually). But both characters would have to be omega to make that work, so first see if you like the game/the Imperium enough to keep playing.

When you've made it into GoonWaffe (the authentication process might take a day or two, be warned), also see which group(s) or sig(s) you want to join, that's the best way to get guidance and stay engaged.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Are filthy casuals like me welcome? I could probably only log on sporadically and sometimes might go weeks without logging on and I prefer economy stuff over combat. I'd like to support The Cause(tm) but I don't want to make it a job lol

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

PinheadSlim posted:

Are filthy casuals like me welcome? I could probably only log on sporadically and sometimes might go weeks without logging on and I prefer economy stuff over combat. I'd like to support The Cause(tm) but I don't want to make it a job lol

i mean im probably not gonna be very active either

also lmao was playing the ingame tutorial and got hit with a cluster shutdown

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

PinheadSlim posted:

Never logging in, is this game's win condition.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

PinheadSlim posted:

Of course. One of the reasons we're such an effective coalition is that we have a good balance of pvp and krabbing, and whatever else is necessary or fun at any given time.

hbag posted:

also lmao was playing the ingame tutorial and got hit with a cluster shutdown

Downtime (DT) happens every day at 11:00 EVE. The servers are usually offline for just 3-5 minutes, unless they're implementing a major update.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cat Hatter posted:

When they were attacked? Yes. Not when he was killed though. He had to leave because stuff was going on, and then he never came back.

He was a space diplomat and an IRL IT guy, so he often did his space job while at his real job.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

ah poo poo this tutorial's actually kinda fun i might end up getting into this and spending too much time on it

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

hbag posted:

ah poo poo this tutorial's actually kinda fun i might end up getting into this and spending too much time on it

it can be a fun game and please ask if you have any questions, this graph is as dated as its references but is still absolutely true today

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

hbag posted:

it effects which starting school you can respawn at. you want the one closest to Jita if you are going to be trading

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PinheadSlim posted:

goonwaffe is specifically set up for filthy casuals. normally people have to "participate" at least once a month to be in goonswarm. but this doesn't apply to actual SomethingAwful forums members

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

what's the best way to get to 1dq? i have a cormorant i quite like, i presume it will probably get zotted if i just try and fly it there?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sebmojo posted:

what's the best way to get to 1dq? i have a cormorant i quite like, i presume it will probably get zotted if i just try and fly it there?

change your respawn to 1DQ than kill yourself (in-game). if you make it i'll gave you 10 free cormorants

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Rutibex posted:

Stuff like this is why I stopped playing wow, it was way more addicting than killing dragons for epix

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I never did the market flipping thing. I think i'll take my next proceeds from skill extraction and start doing it.

Turning 1.5b into 10b is the goal. The question is how long it takes.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

alright cool im sat in delve trying to figure out what's worth trading and what isnt and hoo boy theres a lot of poo poo here

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I never did the market flipping thing. I think i'll take my next proceeds from skill extraction and start doing it.

Turning 1.5b into 10b is the goal. The question is how long it takes.

do your trading in 1DQ do not go to Jita. with such a small amount what you are going to want to start off with is doctrine modules. there are standardized ships that goonswarm uses (you dont get reimbursed for combat losses if you use a lovely ship).

find out what modules are used on these doctrine ships than set up buy orders for that module. there is stuff like armor hardeners and stuff that you can trade for 50% markup

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

hbag posted:

alright cool im sat in delve trying to figure out what's worth trading and what isnt and hoo boy theres a lot of poo poo here

look at the contracts section, people will be selling doctrine ships. you can figure out the popular modules that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Rutibex posted:

look at the contracts section, people will be selling doctrine ships. you can figure out the popular modules that way

alright cool

i should probably work on getting some isk some other way first because lmao i only have like 300k