Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

lmao thank you :allears: I love him so much. I found him outside work with a drooping wing during a brief respite in some week-long bad weather, and took him home so I could give him just a couple days of rest and shelter before letting him go again near where I had found him. This was my true and honest intention. However Pigeon took immediately to being a house pigeon, and I took to having a house pigeon, and well, no regrets, here is where we are, a house pigeon and a house pigeon haver.

There's a lot to read in mythology and spirituality about doves and their sudden appearances, but a lot of it is much too grandiose for me and so I think sometimes a pigeon can only be a pigeon. All I know for sure is he is sweet and soft and cuddly and I love him.

LITERALLY A BIRD has issued a correction as of 18:41 on Apr 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

relevant to Mr. King James being mad about witches

Magic: A Problem in Semantics posted:

The power of spiritual beings reflects the authority of other people. (Whether this is the authority of the clan as Durkheim had it or that of the father in the Freudian view is here immaterial.) Magical power reflects the capabilities of the self, and mana, the dynamic forces of the physical universe. Man's ability to acquire skills and use them to shape his world is thus projected as one of the universal superordinate powers. The traditional hostility between deistic belief and magical belief is understandable. An ideology that holds man to be wholly dependent on powerful gods must view a conception of man as one of the ruling forces in the cosmos as hubris of a most literal and damnable kind.

Erwin R. Goodenough, discussing the persistence of magical practices in Judaism, writes that religious symbols "originally of direct and inherent power ... have gradually been made to refer in addition to more remote spiritual forces" (1953:160). The use of the adjective "remote" is highly suggestive. In small-scale societies, effective action is performed by the self and by familiar others. In large-scale societies, the exercise of power by distant authorities or even unknown agents may provide the source for the projection of "remote spiritual forces." But the immediacies are never wholly superseded, and even those religions that place most weight on a transcendent omnipotent deity retain practices expressing the projection of the immediate.

[...]

Just as prayer and sacrifice express the belief that the universe is governed by personified beings whom one can reach by words and gifts, so magical practices express the belief in human powers as effective forces. The use of such practices in rituals addressed to the gods is not a discordant intrusion of magic into religion. The composite ritual states that the gods do not rule alone; their will and power are accompanied by the will and power of men.

Examination of the concept indicates that the distinction between magic and religion, whether phrased as dichotomy or polarity, is unwarranted. Magic is not an entity distinct from religion but a form of ritual behavior and thus an element of religion. That the distinction has led only to confusion supports the judgment that the abstraction is based on misinterpretation. It has not only falsified the relation between religion and magic, and led to obscurantism concerning magic, but it has also given rise to a truncated concept of religion as a whole. The cosmological concepts inherent in religions are more complex than belief in spiritual beings only. Because the index of "belief in superhuman beings" recognizes only one aspect of religion, it seems preferable to substitute the definition that religion entails belief in superordinate agencies.

even when hating magic actually is about hating women, it is also still very much about religion, and power, and keeping that religious power squarely in the hands of those already holding it.

Magic, on the other hand, and the practice thereof seems to be inherently anti-establishment. And we all know who else was famously anti-establishment, right Ohtori

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

acts of Gord

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

BONGHITZ posted:

acts of Gord

did we change the spiritual nature of jacks o lantern when we started making them from gourds instead of turnips

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

lmao thank you :allears: I love him so much. I found him outside work with a drooping wing during a brief respite in some week-long bad weather, and took him home so I could give him just a couple days of rest and shelter before letting him go again near where I had found him. This was my true and honest intention. However Pigeon took immediately to being a house pigeon, and I took to having a house pigeon, and well, no regrets, here is where we are, a house pigeon and a house pigeon haver.

There's a lot to read in mythology and spirituality about doves and their sudden appearances, but a lot of it is much too grandiose for me and so I think sometimes a pigeon can only be a pigeon. All I know for sure is he is sweet and soft and cuddly and I love him.
Sometimes that's all you need. :lovebird: I believe he's also magic though, 100%.

BONGHITZ posted:

acts of Gord
Does anyone else remember the website that had that title? I think it was about some guy's "poo poo that didn't happen" stories from working in a video rental store?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Squizzle posted:

did we change the spiritual nature of jacks o lantern when we started making them from gourds instead of turnips

Almost certainly. Does anyone give a poo poo about turnips anymore? When was the last time anyone ate a turnip?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Almost certainly. Does anyone give a poo poo about turnips anymore? When was the last time anyone ate a turnip?

im eating one right now

just pulled it outta the dirt like luigi and chomping down like a apple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I always played Peach, she was best to play and dressed great, though Luigi and Toad are best for specific stages