Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
ready to sage the appropriate ports, cut open an old router and remove its still-functional cpu, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Big fan of praising Ishtar, personally

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
is ishtar chill

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i argue that Chill would be a misleading metric to attempt to implement here

would tend to confound the findings, and finders

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Ishtar is possibly the opposite of chill

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

That is one of the things to like about her though. Real motivated type, big doer. Just what you want in a God.

LITERALLY A BIRD has issued a correction as of 22:53 on Mar 25, 2024

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

ex post facho posted:

ready to sage the appropriate ports, cut open an old router and remove its still-functional cpu, etc

you should find a way to inscribe the sounds of a dialup modem handshake onto an ofuda, which you can use to seal a device against demons and malign spirits

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I misread that as 'everything is made of kings'

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

it means your balls op

Sherbert Hoover posted:

It is very complicated and differs between Hellenistic and late antique philosophy, but ancient Mediterranean philosophy was pretty obsessed with the idea that everything is made of things, both physically and metaphysically, like we are made of not only bone atoms and meat atoms, but also beauty, intelligence, man, poster, etc. Many philosophers believed that on some level there is beauty etc. by itself and these forms and all creation are emanations of the monad, a kind of singularity or godhead that exhibits perfect unity, of which everything else and all ideas are lesser and lesser copies and divisions. When Christianity took over, theologians dropped most of the numerology and physics aspects of it but kept the idea of God's omnipresence.
Thanks for the explanations

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i like the idea of a talisman against demonic machine spirits, thank you. i will find an appropriate deity to offer to for continued good fortune in working with devicés and technolögiẹ

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

ex post facho posted:

i like the idea of a talisman against demonic machine spirits, thank you. i will find an appropriate deity to offer to for continued good fortune in working with devicés and technolögiẹ

warhammer 40k has you covered on both fronts

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I was trying to avoid that tbqh, surely it drew that inspiration from somewhere

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

ex post facho posted:

I was trying to avoid that tbqh, surely it drew that inspiration from somewhere
That's smart, Warhammer 40k sucks. Do not draw any inspiration from it, spiritual or otherwise.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

ex post facho posted:

Thoth might truck with arcane devices. He's got that tablet after all

e: actually yeah come to think of it someone being a God of science, math, magic, writing, wisdom etc would absolutely mean they were a God of technology, from the contemporaneous perspective. I think Thoth's your guy here, ex post. :hmmyes:

LITERALLY A BIRD has issued a correction as of 01:31 on Mar 26, 2024

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

a monad is a 3-term complex

A → B → C
of objects in some abelian category whose middle term B is projective, whose first map A → B is injective, and whose second map B → C is surjective.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

BONGHITZ posted:

A → B → C
of objects in some abelian category whose middle term B is projective, whose first map A → B is injective, and whose second map B → C is surjective.

This.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

BONGHITZ posted:

A → B → C
Thank you, but I don't really understand what this means. I think I will stick with the balls explanation.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

BONGHITZ posted:

A → B → C

a monad is a monoid in a category of endofunctors

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

ex post facho posted:

i will find an appropriate deity to offer to for continued good fortune in working with devicés and technolögiẹ

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

ex post facho posted:

everyday necessities that have an origin story separate from cosmogenesis?? that are vital for communication??? sounds like you need a trickster-transformer-culture hero type. add to that,
long ago (the 20th century) there was a bit of conventional wisdom that crafter/smith/forge gods were usually disfigured/deformed/just generally physically not-whole. varying degrees of usefulness to that observation, mostly: hey guys most of those are indo-euro gods, ofc they will resemble one another, thanks for pointing that out i guess; yeah a lot of metallurgy does expose a person to fumes that can cause neuropathy, makes sense that trait would be associated. so you need a physically afflicted trickster or world-transformer, maybe a culture hero

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

oh poo poo, you need gilgamesh. he crosses boundaries in his attested role (in prayer/invocation) as a ferryman, so is perfect for your communication devices, ferrying those lil packets to and fro. he is also a maker of great works, as the builder of the walls of uruk. but of a technology connection!!! and his particular affliction is the emotional wound of discovering the limitations of mortality, both confronting his own and losing his dearest companion. seems v appropriate for wrestling w the ravages of entropy on even nanometer-scale silicon etchings. hey those are like clay tablets. sorta

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

fuckin gilgamesh

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Mo' nads, mo' problems

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Gilgamesh is very cool and all, and I enjoy connecting the present to the past in this manner. But considering we're talking about a lot of new technologies, maybe making new patron deities is in order? I conceptualize the internet for example as being a web maintained by a giant spider spirit union (I pay my spiritual dues to these neo-wobblies every day~)

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I think Thoth will be the deity to whom I offer, though I find Gilgamesh and his tale extremely interesting. Maybe I can dual-fealty

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Orbs posted:

Gilgamesh is very cool and all, and I enjoy connecting the present to the past in this manner. But considering we're talking about a lot of new technologies, maybe making new patron deities is in order? I conceptualize the internet for example as being a web maintained by a giant spider spirit union (I pay my spiritual dues to these neo-wobblies every day~)

There is Anansi, the spider god, an Akan deity, associated with trickery, knowledge, and wisdom. Not necessarily technology, but knowledge is there~ and the internet is all about deceit and trickery

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

ex post facho posted:

There is Anansi, the spider god, an Akan deity, associated with trickery, knowledge, and wisdom. Not necessarily technology, but knowledge is there~ and the internet is all about deceit and trickery

and communication, travel, commerce, and long-range infrastructure (e.g. roads) are all extremely traditional trickster associations. appropriate internet things imo

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

ex post facho posted:

ex post facho posted:

I think Thoth will be the deity to whom I offer, though I find Gilgamesh and his tale extremely interesting. Maybe I can dual-fealty
That's totally cool too, I don't believe it's necessary to use new gods or anything, that's just how I've been leaning lately. I do still follow many of the older ones too (advantages of being pantheistic in outlook). I believe "dual-fealty" is not only possible, but it's what polytheistic deities kind of want or need. They can be jealous and fickle, but that's all the more reason they need strong other gods to challenge and rein them in.

Yes, I did play a ton of Exalted and other WW games when I was younger, how could you tell? lol. I know they could be quite problematic for numerous reasons, but I liked that they made an attempt to portray an unusual yet compelling cosmology.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

white wolf made games???

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

ex post facho posted:

Orbs posted:

That's totally cool too, I don't believe it's necessary to use new gods or anything, that's just how I've been leaning lately. I do still follow many of the older ones too (advantages of being pantheistic in outlook). I believe "dual-fealty" is not only possible, but it's what polytheistic deities kind of want or need.

people feelin polycurious ITT

Dr. Edward Butler, "Polycentric Polytheism" posted:

Many practices and styles of devotion within polytheism are treated by modern scholars as implying a “tendency” towards monotheism. Worshipers in ancient (as well as modern) polytheisms sometimes identify one God with another, fuse two Gods together into a third, or experience one God as the focus of all things; all the while still recognizing many Gods. Scholars have coined terms like “henotheism” to refer to this seeming dichotomy while modern polytheists often term these practices as “soft” (as opposed to “hard”) polytheism. In “soft” polytheism, so the explanation goes, the Gods are all understood to be aspects of one God, or as emanations from a single Source with no fixed identities. Only in “hard” polytheism, it is argued, are the Gods seen as unique individuals.

From the viewpoint of the pagan Platonists of late antiquity, however, this distinction would have been nonsensical. These thinkers reasoned that these (so-called “soft”) elements of devotion actually expressed the uniqueness and individuality of Gods that is the essence of polytheism itself. Consider the core principle of “hard” polytheism, namely, that the Gods possess superlative individuality and uniqueness. Supreme individuality, however, cannot be that possessed by something to which everything else is external, but rather belongs to something with all things within it. Something that is merely indivisible in an atomistic sense does not have the kind of existence we associate with a God.

Gods - as polytheists have always understood them - possess will, agency, and consciousness. These properties, however, reach their zenith in encompassing the world, rather than by excluding it. Similarly, that which is supremely unique is not what distinguishes itself from everything else by increasingly trivial differences, but rather that in which the attributes shared with other things are uniquely its own. This is the kind of existence we recognize in Beings that we call "who" rather than objects we call "what."

quote:

How does this matter to polytheists? We see this inclusiveness of each God in the practice of many polytheists. A polytheist does not call upon a God merely for concerns relating to a narrow function. Aphrodite's most intense devotees do not call on her merely as "Goddess of love," for example, but as Goddess of everything, at least potentially. At the cult centers of ancient deities, we often find the Gods and Goddesses worshiped in this expansive manner.

We also see this pattern in modern day Hinduism, although it is often misinterpreted by Westerners under the influence of hegemonic monotheism as "monism" and denying the reality of the many Gods. If Gods understood in this manner transcend narrow functions, what makes them distinct? This question, however natural, is poorly-formed: it asks a "what" question (a question more properly addressed regarding objects) about the ultimate "whos" (persons.) For this reason the Platonists said that the Gods are hyperousios, "beyond essence."

The Gods have proper names, just like we humans do. We intuitively understand the difference between proper names (applied to individual persons) and common nouns (applied to undifferentiated members of a group.) Polytheism requires that we apply this same logic to the Gods, but without carrying over the aspects of it that only apply to mortals.

quote:

Devotional Polytheism brings us closer to the Gods. Just as a jewel in Indra's net reflects the other jewels near it more clearly than those further from away, so too we "see" in the Gods to whom we are devoted more readily the other Gods who are "nearer" to Them. There are two ways in which Gods are "near" one another: first, through being part of the same divine "family" or being in the same myths together, which we usually refer to as being in the same pantheon.

Secondly, the Gods can be "near" one another through having similar characteristic patterns of activity, which we talk about across pantheons, like when we say that Hermes and Anubis are both psychopomps (Gods who conduct souls into the netherworld.) We can discern more of these relations in a God we worship, and to whom we are 'near', than in one who is more 'remote' to us. We can see this as having to do with the kind of jewels that we ourselves are: the more sensitive we become to a particular God, the more highly polished is the surface by which we reflect Her, the more Gods and the more of the universe we are able to see in our chosen God, appreciating more of Her peculiar nature and Her complex relations. This process - of perceiving and embracing more and more of the connections within and between deities while respecting their inherent individuality - is the essence of polytheistic devotion.

https://henadology.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/wp32-butler-pp3538-version-2.pdf

I actually like one of this guy's other polytheism essays much more but it is eighteen pages of text whereas the above link is four pages with fun formatting and graphics.

Here's the long one too though. POLYTHEISM: THE INEVITABLE CHOICE FOR A SUSTAINABLE FUTURE.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

quote:

How does this matter to polytheists? We see this inclusiveness of each God in the practice of many polytheists. A polytheist does not call upon a God merely for concerns relating to a narrow function. Aphrodite's most intense devotees do not call on her merely as "Goddess of love," for example, but as Goddess of everything, at least potentially.

This is the part I was most reminded of during the technology Deity conversation. The Drawing Down the Moon book had a whole chapter on the mechanics of prayer and different approaches taken by supplicants. The most reliable sorts of prayer, it was perceived, were often ones addressed to a God with whom the supplicant had a meaningful personal relationship even if the subject matter of the prayer wasn't within that God's realm of particular expertise.

A Deity of something could certainly have blessed some specific interactions a person experienced in a given moment. But polytheistically speaking, a Deity with a fondness for you, personally, is often perceived to be actively involved in your life and thereby able to be a source of all kinds of good fortune. Praise Deity.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

ex post facho posted:

Xipe Totec has a lot to offer:

God of metalsmiths (there's all kinds of metal in computers)
God of the East (where microchips are made)
God of disease (what are viruses and malware if not diseases of the circuit)

Bonus: corn is widely available

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

bij posted:

Bonus: corn is widely available

you should close every post w this

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Squizzle posted:

you should close every post w this
Yes. Corn NON delenda est.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Only registered members can see post attachments!

polycritical
Mar 7, 2024
:roll for godhood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Only registered members can see post attachments!