Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hungry for crepes n shit
Aug 17, 2005

Good soup! posted:

Did anyone ever call Miss Cleo back in the day, what was that like

I didn't call miss cleo but I did call a psychic line a couple times out of boredom. The first one told me some nonsense I can't remember now, but the second one told me I would marry a guy who was considerably older than me and a Leo, and my husband is both of those things. So who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

clockwork chaos posted:

witchcraft and the like is predominantly born of peasantry and commoners but go off i guess

It seems dubious to try and draw a connection from "the one woman in the village who knew about herbs, and midwifing, and germs" to "well off white girls messing about with cards and pretending star signs mean things" and act like that's a meaningful historic throughline, honestly

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

look buddy, i dont care to debate on if things mean things in the witchcraft thread

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Crane Fist posted:

It seems dubious to try and draw a connection from "the one woman in the village who knew about herbs, and midwifing, and germs" to "well off white girls messing about with cards and pretending star signs mean things" and act like that's a meaningful historic throughline, honestly

drat bitch don't talk about poo poo you don't understand

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

snoo posted:

drat bitch don't talk about poo poo you don't understand

drat sorry for my lack of understanding of this completely fake thing, maybe you can recommend me some imaginary reading material on the subject

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

nothing is real and nothing matters :)

may i have a single card reading, OP, thank you

hungry for crepes n shit
Aug 17, 2005

Crane Fist posted:

drat sorry for my lack of understanding of this completely fake thing, maybe you can recommend me some imaginary reading material on the subject

maybe you could gently caress off then and let people enjoy some imaginary fun

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

snoo posted:

nothing is real and nothing matters :)

may i have a single card reading, OP, thank you

For you, I have drawn

Death: new beginnings. As one cycle ends, a new one begins - a fresh start upon the ashes of the old. New experiences await as the unwalked path is travelled

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

can we post about carl jung itt? he had some interesting ideas on mysticism

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

this place is open to all discussion of mysticism and esoterica, you might need to start at the beginning, though

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

TheSlutPit posted:

can we post about carl jung itt? he had some interesting ideas on mysticism

Jung suspected the imagery from the I Ching was possibly universal. "Even to the most biased eye, it is obvious that this book represents one long admonition to careful scrutiny of one's own character, attitude, and motives." He was kind of a weirdo.

Early in the history of computers, tho, someone set up a program that was essentially a kind of Zork where you would walk around in a garden and run into different trigrams and stuff. Has anyone else heard about this because I can't find it? If I'm remembering this right you would go down a branching path that pretty much stepped through the same algorithm that ends with you getting a hexagram and the reading and all that.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

took that a few years ago but I guess it’s still relevant

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

hungry for crepes n poo poo posted:

maybe you could gently caress off then and let people enjoy some imaginary fun

imo the question of whether there is an historical through-line from, say, the witches of early modern europe and the american settlers to the people who now call themselves witches is interesting

also, i usually get an impression that people today who are into witchcraft, tarot, or other occultlike things don't just see it as imaginary fun

Finicums Wake has issued a correction as of 03:37 on Jan 3, 2021

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
here's a cool book about the witch hunts (among other things) from a marxist feminist perspective:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/403846.Caliban_and_the_Witch

i have no real interest in witches or witchcraft, but found it fascinating.

Finicums Wake has issued a correction as of 03:42 on Jan 3, 2021

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Snowy posted:

took that a few years ago but I guess it’s still relevant

that owns, i love it

Finicums Wake posted:

imo the question of whether there is an historical through-line from, say, the witches of early modern europe and the american settlers to the people who now call themselves witches is interesting

also, i usually get the impression that people today who are into witchcraft, tarot, or other occultlike things don't just see it as imaginary fun

the gotdang OP posted:

there's no wrong way to go about it as long as you're not being an rear end in a top hat.

anyway it doesn't matter if you think it's real or not, the important thing is it makes you feel like you have some sort of control over your life, plus it's fun!

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

clockwork chaos posted:

witchcraft and the like is predominantly born of peasantry and commoners but go off i guess
life is all about finding meaning in everything from stars to cards to help you deal with this bitch of an earth

edit:

Crusader has issued a correction as of 03:47 on Jan 3, 2021

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Woah

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
That’s really loving rad

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

clockwork chaos posted:

C-Spam's Daily Reading for 1/2

inverted High Priestess: repressed thoughts. Today is a day of re-centering and listening. The inner voice cries out unheard, denied subconsciously. Take the time to hearken its message for it is eternal in its diligence

5 of Pentacles: insecure feelings. Today is a day of charity and aid. Debts unpaid and favors owed, desperate times upon us all. Help, just out of arms reach, remains ignorant unless alerted

Temperance: patient actions. Today is a day of adaption and cooperation. To aid and be aided in turn, balance is key - extending too far will cause nothing but exhaustion

thumbs up, thanks for this

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Finicums Wake posted:

also, i usually get an impression that people today who are into witchcraft, tarot, or other occultlike things don't just see it as imaginary fun

Most of the people I know into that sort of thing tend to be queer and working class. The rationale ranges from "I view mysticism as a sort of self-reflection and system by which I can reorient my mind and will into the direction I desire" to "by lighting these six black candles and burning this poem I wrote, Mitch McConnell will literally fall down and break his balls." It really depends on the person. Honestly a big factor for its popularity in the US almost certainly has to do with the lack of healthcare access. I can't count the number of times I've known people get sick or deal with mental health issues and turn to other friends who will point out some herbal medicine they can try to use until they can actually afford to see a doctor

People just want power and a sense of control over their own lives. Whether it's real or just something that eases that drive, people will turn to whatever they can get their hands on to do it

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

clockwork chaos posted:

life is all about finding meaning in everything from stars to cards to help you deal with this bitch of an earth

and used exclusively today by rich people, at least offline, which is the only location that matters

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Larry Parrish posted:

and used exclusively today by rich people, at least offline, which is the only location that matters

u know what else the rich exclusively have access to? posting. ur cancelled buddy

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

imagine hating women this much

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

thats not true, the one used exclusively by rich ppl are doing musical chairs with pedo priest lol

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

snoo posted:

lol

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

snoo posted:

What's wrong with your brain.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

snoo posted:

lmao

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

please stop ruining the vibe, i have like three rules for this place cmon

C-Spam's Daily Reading 1/3

Ace of Swords: thoughts of success. Today is a day of goal-setting and planning. Lofty dreams and future doorways remain out of reach laying down, only through effort may they be grasped.

Inverted Strength: insecure feelings. Today is a day for learning limits and boundaries. The perimeter of ability, upon discovery, can yield insight of where vulnerabilities lie and how to solve them.

Inverted Judgement: actions of doubt. Today is a day of evaluation and awareness. Dysphoria is the progenitor of the harshest critic, upon which impossible standards are set, stifling growth and freedom of expression.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

snoo posted:

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
edit: nevermind, trying to keep the chill

smarxist has issued a correction as of 15:33 on Jan 3, 2021

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I have begun to read a little bit in my kabbalah book.

It begins by introducing the concept of kabbalah which is a little different than what I've associated with that term, there's no mention of the Torah for example. According to the book, written in 2004, kabbalah is becoming popular with many people nowadays. Personally I've never heard of it apart from on the internet and in books, so that doesn't jive with my experience. Admittedly most of the people I talk to tend to be pretty materialistic.

The book introduces a cosmology, explaining how the universe was created and the nature of souls. It sounds pretty similar to Platonism. Reincarnation is a part of it, and every time a soul is reincarnated it retains experience from its previous time on earth. That should mean that the souls that are around today are the most experienced ever, and according to the book our "generation" is indeed very spiritual.

The book talks about the knowledge within being "esoteric" but at the same time "anyone can do it" which doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me but there seems to be a kind of "practical kabbalah" that's easy to get into, if you're like me and don't want to learn Hebrew and do hardcore exegesis of scripture, which is what I used to think kabbalah was about.

I haven't gotten to the part where you learn how to do magic yet but it should be coming up soon.

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao

snoo posted:

imagine hating indigenous peoples and women this much

ftfy

Edit: :whitewater: posted this before I read the vibes warning. Real-talk tho, would it absolutely kill the good vibes and I should make a new thread for it, or can I bring up how anti-magic attitudes are literally almost without fail covers for extreme anti-native/racism and misogyny?

staticman has issued a correction as of 18:52 on Jan 3, 2021

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

staticman posted:

ftfy

Edit: :whitewater: posted this before I read the vibes warning. Real-talk tho, would it absolutely kill the good vibes and I should make a new thread for it, or can I bring up how anti-magic attitudes are literally almost without fail covers for extreme anti-native/racism and misogyny?

Please go ahead.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

staticman posted:

ftfy

no this sounds right at home for this place, the vibes warning is for the drive-by shitposters who bring nothing to the table

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
This is gonna be some dumb gay goonrant, BUT LET'S HOP ONBOARD MY WILD RIDE ANYWAY~!:unsmigghh:

Let me get straight to the point:

Raise your hand if you've killed the cop in your head. Good. :same:
Now, raise your hand if you've killed or are killing the colonizer in your head. Many of you are asking "w-what...?", "lol are you serious?", etc. We all know about the entity called "the cop in your head", and it's death is a necessary part of unchaining oneself and others from the prison of Capitalism. There's just one problem, especially if you're pale, there's another entity implanted in you called the Colonizer. This entity's actively driving you to not just hate non-Christian faith, but to destroy it in whatever ways you can. As above, so below, just like fascists use liberal free-speech as a Trojan horse to deliver white supremacist An Orwellmaidenheirazilneworltheylivatrix's Tale, the Colonizer's favorite horse for ecocidal Christendom these days is ~skeptical atheism and loving loving science~. I don't know if you've been paying attention, but scientists are as listened to by the government as Indigenous elders.

There's a reason natives are screaming from the rooftops for y'all to listen to them, cause if you keep ignoring them, you're literally going to continue the colonial cycle, but this time forcing the "superstitious savages" to surrender their ways and adopt the immortal science. That's exactly what the colonizer in your head wants, and why you must kill him.

Not sure what else to say on this, again, sorry if this came out a dumb goon rant, just my observation :shrug:

staticman has issued a correction as of 19:48 on Jan 3, 2021

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

staticman posted:

This is gonna be some dumb gay goonrant, BUT LET'S HOP ONBOARD MY WILD RIDE ANYWAY~!:unsmigghh:

Let me get straight to the point:

Raise your hand if you've killed the cop in your head. Good. :same:
Now, raise your hand if you've killed or are killing the colonizer in your head. Many of you are asking "w-what...?", "lol are you serious?", etc. We all know about the entity called "the cop in your head", and it's death is a necessary part of unchaining oneself and others from the prison of Capitalism. There's just one problem, especially if you're pale, there's another entity implanted in you called the Colonizer. This entity's actively driving you to not just hate non-Christian faith, but to destroy it in whatever ways you can. As above, so below, just like fascists use liberal free-speech as a Trojan horse to deliver white supremacist An Orwellmaidenheirazilneworltheylivatrix's Tale, the Colonizer's favorite horse for ecocidal Christendom these days is ~skeptical atheism and loving loving science~. I don't know if you've been paying attention, but scientists are as listened to by the government as Indigenous elders.

There's a reason natives are screaming from the rooftops for y'all to listen to them, cause if you keep ignoring them, you're literally going to continue the colonial cycle, but this time forcing the "superstitious savages" to surrender their ways and adopt the immortal science. That's exactly what the colonizer in your head wants, and why you must kill him.

Not sure what else to say on this, again, sorry if this came out a dumb goon rant, just my observation :shrug:

Good rant I missed the gay part though dunno why you felt it neccessary to include that

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Syncopation has issued a correction as of 02:22 on Jan 24, 2024

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Crane Fist posted:

It is widely known that the first American colonists were murderously superstitious, but fortunetelling, the occult, and western esotericism was no less prominent in later periods of American history. From immigrants living in tenements to African Americans in the post-Civil-War South to traveling carnivals, fortunetellers were often not only working-class people working for working class people, but also often disenfranchised people from the fringes of mainstream society. Some were in it for the grift, sure, but others served a role akin to a therapist for the poor, helping people think about their lives in new ways or to make difficult decisions. In some cases this was a cherished role in the community, and in some places (like New Orleans), this tradition has become so strong as to form a key part of local cultural identity.

There are of course Marxist critiques of the sort that would be more in line with Taintrunner’s posting here, such as Theodor Adorno’s critique of astrology:

quote:

The doctrine of the existence of the Spirit, the ultimate exaltation of bourgeois consciousness, consequently bore teleologically within it the belief in spirits, its ultimate degradation. The shift to existence, always "positive" and justifying the world, implies at the same time the thesis of the positivity of mind, pinning it down, transposing the absolute into appearance. Whether the whole objective world, as "product", is to be spirit, or a particular thing a particular spirit, ceases to matter, and the world-spirit becomes the supreme Spirit, the guardian angel of the established, despiritualized order. On this the occultists live: their mysticism is the enfant terrible of the mystical moment in Hegel.

And then there are critiques of the critiques. From an essay on the economics of fortune telling certification programs:

quote:

Hardly fraudulent, the contemporary psychic practitioner performs an increasingly pervasive form of labor in American society. Part life-coach, part spiritual mentor, their work capitalizes on the conditions of everyday life, particularly as the quest for personal well-being comes to stand in for more structural promises of long-term security. They may, perhaps, be the quintessential affective laborers: those who sell their very capacity to produce in you the feeling that you exist — that you can be recognized, read, interpreted, and advised.

But in any case we find that fortunetelling and the occult can be a rich grounds of discussion, even when commenting on economic systems in the abstract:

quote:

What is perhaps most salient within the history of fortune-telling is the way it both reifies and subverts capitalist economics. Its subversion can be seen when one thinks of the ideological scandal that would ensue if one indeed had the ability to predict the outcome of the lottery, a feature of most capitalist societies. The capitalist ethos of self-mastery is undermined by the possibility of luck leading to success without proportional labor. As a result, games of luck tend to be sidelined in capitalist societies, looked down upon as pastimes of the poor and lazy.

“Patience, and shuffle the cards,” Cervantes wrote in Don Quixote. This notion serves as the foundation for the American myth of self-made success: One must work for success, but at the same time, anyone can achieve it. The American myth of the self-made man therefore creates a double bind: One must work, but one might also get lucky. As a result, those in inferior socioeconomic positions can feel that they still have the possibility of ascending by means of luck, while those in superior socioeconomic positions can feel deserving of their success as a result of their supposed hard work.

Through games of luck comes the notion of the “big break,” an idea that has been fundamental to diffusing socioeconomic frustrations for centuries, first observed by Louis Hartz in The Liberal Tradition in America. In the many hundreds of seventeenth- and eighteenth-century European stories and fairy tales first told by the lower classes, one finds that the peasants never look to alter the royal system that oppresses them; rather, a happy ending occurs when the peasant himself becomes the king through a series of chance events. That’s to say, the occurrence of “big breaks,” however seldom, is enough to keep the masses contented with an unjust social system; they angle to be at the top of the current society, rather than looking to do away with the society entirely.

What has proven trickier for social elites to justify are the games of chance that are fundamental to their own success, the modern stock market being the quintessential example. How does a capitalist society make playing the stock market look like labor, so that the high earnings that often come from it appear to be derived from proportional work? How do the affluent “cleanse” their earnings, overcoming the taint of chance through the appearance of work, thereby conferring moral legitimacy on their positions of power? The elite solution has been to disguise the stock market as a place of complex probabilities and algorithms rather than what it fundamentally is: luck. It is chance rebranded as morally righteous labor.

And all this without even mentioning the interesting history of things such as the tarot deck itself, the development of particular traditions, and the transmission of these ideas and practices.

twoday has issued a correction as of 20:39 on Jan 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

snoo posted:

staticman posted:

anti-magic attitudes are literally almost without fail covers for extreme anti-native/racism and misogyny?

lmao