Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Magic is real and strong and in this information era we finally have the means to take it back from the hands of the priests and marketers to share it freely as it should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Bless this thread and bless the people posting in it.

The vibe they share within this thread, may the universe absorb it and reflect it back into their life tenfold.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I agree that, from an external point of view, protestantism seem to completely suck the fun and magic out of religion and even life.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I mean when you are Catholic you can worship a miraculous gender fluid bearded woman who escaped forced wedding thanks to divine intervention. After that you can discuss the big bang theory, nuclear physics or genetics with a monk while tasting delicious Trappist beer and cheese. How cool is that?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Dokapon Findom posted:

You can do all of this without the idol worship though

"Worship" changed meaning in English. It doesn't mean idolatry.

It comes from the Old English weorthscipe, which means the condition of being worthy of honor, respect, or dignity. To worship in the older, larger sense is to ascribe honor, worth, or excellence to someone.

English isn't my native tongue so probably I don't associate the same weight to the word as you do. Again probably a protestant heritage. Maybe I should have used the term "honoring" instead. My bad

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
your magic is witchcraft
my magic is miracles :smug:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Ohtori Akio posted:

from an academic perspective witchcraft and miracles are both magic yeah. from a christian perspective it mostly matters whether youre appealing to the monotheist creator-god, or some fake guy.

Things are a bit more complicated and grey than that. From a Christian perspective you can appeal to the intercession of Jesus (or the virgin Mary or saints for Catholics) which could be considered as spiritism.

Many evangelical practices like speaking in tongues or handling snakes or extatic trances could also be considered as superstitions by other Christian denominations.

In the end the distinction between religions and magic is extremely tenuous, and calling a practice witchcraft or superstition is no different from calling those who don't belong to your culture "barbarians"

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Al! posted:

the catholic church is based around paganism, almost animism

Well yes that was the whole point. The Roman empire did not build itself through subjugation but integration.

The vast majority of Catholics are rural, countryside people with rich and diverse beliefs and traditions.

"Catholic" means universal, all-embracing, and it's exactly what it is advertising

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Dokapon Findom posted:

Veneration of the saints is a violation of the first commandment...

I think it's a protestant belief that Catholics are venerating saints like they venerate God.

They don't. They honor saints like you honor your parents and ancestors

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

aw frig aw dang it posted:

St. Jude is a solid dude

St Christopher is a good boy

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Protestants would say that Catholics pray to them, which seems like veneration

It's really not though. They ask for their intercession to God since they are supposedly closer to Him/Her/It

It's a very pragmatic relationship, almost transactional. Most of the time it's based on local, cultural superstition that a certain saint can ask God to help you with a certain matter

I wouldn't compare that to the veneration they would have for God

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I'm still waiting to find out which magic is okay in the Bible, Jazerus??? It says no Necromancy (life, death, spirits) Divination (fortune telling, hindsight, insight, spirits) Enchantment (basically every other kind of spell-casting. Spirits) so which ones are okay for Christians to practice. Specifically

Wasn't that the OT though? Jesus was basically a necromancer, seer and wizard so I guess if he could do it, Christians can too.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Hatebag posted:

wednesday is mercury because the ptolemaic geo-centric model orders the bodies in the solar system Moon, Mercury, Venus, Sun, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn in terms of distance from earth. that combines with this helpful little diagram

where you trace from the sun to moon, mars, mercury and bing bong, mercury is the 4th day

The weekdays in English are interesting because you get the correspondance between the Roman and Germanic gods.

Tuesday / Tiw = Mars / Mardi
Wednesday / Odin = Mercury / Mercredi
Thursday / Thor = Jupiter / Jeudi
Friday / Frigg = Venus / Vendredi

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Le monade

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

ex post facho posted:

i will find an appropriate deity to offer to for continued good fortune in working with devicés and technolögiẹ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

ex post facho posted:

one thing i have long wondered is why western theism trended towards such a dominant stamping out of polytheistic practice and osmotic absorption of its most popular pagan rituals. i feel in other parts of the world (and especially in native american culture) co-existence of multiple great spirits/divinity was not only accepted it was/is just thought of as natural and in accordance with our vast and unknowable universal existence as thinking beings who pop into and out of life. the various forms of christianity and western abrahamic beliefs (in the sweeping generalization sense) refused and inquisitioned away any kind of adherence to anything other than God and/or Jesus (maybe catholicism is an exception to this?). an extension perhaps of the concept of jealous godhood, taken to its extreme end in literally destroying and qŭashing worship of any other Gods.

to me i have never cottoned to the idea of a singular supreme divine. there's just too much existence for one godhood to do it all, nuh uh. even a gods gotta kick back and crack an ice cold Cöörs Lïght once in an eon

If a God is jealous then it's not all encompassing, and it's not a supreme deity. It's as simple as that.