Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Ohtori Akio posted:

my protestantism ftw. other guys protestantism ftl

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

if anyone wants some fun, they should read the infancy gospels, which were written much later and have poo poo like child Jesus killing one of his buddies on a whim then bringing him back Lazarus-style, or getting caught making toy birds out of clay on the Sabbath then, when called out by his dad, bringing them to life and having them fly off so there's no evidence

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Dokapon Findom posted:

Gospel of Thomas is the only one that tells the fuckin truth

what about the Gospel of Truth, it's right there in the title

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Red Baron posted:

clearly a green player using regeneration

seems more like a green or black graveyard recursion player to me

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Al! posted:

muhammed pbuh showed up later to close a bunch of loopholes and re-ban pork and shellfish from tournament play

vyelkin posted:

let's get together and curse the moon

DO NOT FIGHT ALLAH ON THE ASTRAL PLANE

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Al! posted:

[to a group of vestals gathered under the statue of aries] excuse me ladies, but is this god bothering you

the high priestess sighs, "okay everyone get inside, Zeus is back, you all know the drill"

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Half of those sound like craft IPAs that are so hoppy as to be functionally undrinkable.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Lutherans stay winning

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Squizzle posted:

“stay”

:hmmyes:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I would just like to point out that we don't really know what is meant by "blasphemy against the Spirit". It clearly doesn't mean denying that Jesus is the Messiah or any other claim, as the next line is "Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven".

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I would enjoy it if you explained this further, as the specificity of against the Holy Spirit is not something I have encountered along the average Christian worshipper. Usually it is one of the other two persons of the trinity that are felt most strongly about (Pentecostals aside, I know I know)

edit: lmao

asked and more or less answered, I guess. But honestly as an outside observer this only seems all the more convincing that it's the Spirit that is "the Divine" and that even the Christ himself considered himself something different.

There is a theory of the Holy Spirit which holds that she is what arises out of the interaction between God the Father and God the Son, which would be reasonably consistent with what you wrote there. In other words, the Holy Spirit is the way we experience Jesus and thus the Father, who is entirely transcendent and cannot be experienced in a rational way. I'm not sure I buy it, but your post made me think of it.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

nice obelisk idiot posted:

Yeah no disrespect intended by being presumptuous sorry. I get maybe a tiny bit of a sense of it in this extreme example: Jesus would categorically forgive Judas, but Judas hanged himself instead. Like Judas got some of that Holy Spirit juice by hanging with Jesus and them poof, gone. Life is a black abyss and earnest repentance was too painful.

Oh you are absolutely fine. The reason that I wanted to bring that up is that particular passage has been used in a lot of lovely ways (like committing suicide is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, as the Holy Spirit gives life, and so that is why someone who commits suicide is damned to conscious eternal torture spoilered for discussing self harm).

Personally, I interpret it as being unable to forgive oneself and others and thus "blaspheming", which means then that God cannot forgive until the person comes around and is able to show the love and grace of God through their own actions, but I acknowledge that this isn't the only interpretation and many others could be just as valid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Sherbert Hoover posted:

i feel like for this conversation to be fruitful there should be some statement as to whether someone is talking about their interpretation of what second temple jews or early christians thought the holy spirit was or their own interpretation of what the holy spirit is, in actuality (or some third option)

The idea that the Holy Spirit arises out of the interaction between God the Father and God the Son is modern-ish theology. I don't know the specific history, but I think it is post-Enlightenment. Also, just to be clear, it's not what I hold myself, I'm a very boring little-o orthodox trinitarian.

Ohtori Akio posted:

now thats a heresy ive never seen before lol

It's a reasonably common view among historical Jesus scholars and pretty consistent with the synoptic Gospel's witness. Jesus straight up says that he doesn't know when he's returning, so we have a canonical statement that he doesn't have foreknowledge of at least one thing. It stands to reason that if he doesn't know that, he might not know other stuff.

Personally, I'm ambivalent on it, I don't think it really matters if Jesus knew from the start he was going to die at that exact time and place and went about his business anyways or if he got got unexpectedly. He was perfectly following the will of God the Father in either case.

If I had to pick, I'd say he didn't know because part of the experience of being human is having limited knowledge and perspective. If he was at all times tapped into divine knowledge, that's closer to the docetic heresy than Arianism or adoptionism or any of the other early heresies that try to make Jesus a lesser being.