Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
For maximal coverage I make sure my retinue has a hermetic christian witch, sufi muslim mystic, kabbalist rabbi, and a high thetan freezoner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

crepeface posted:

of course it's real. if it weren't how did that witch's curse turn me into a gibbering idiot

That was just her titties

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's been said elsewhere that the idea of 'magic' and 'religion' being separate is very new.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

redneck nazgul posted:

goku is a devout muslim

He does talk to god a lot

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's not polytheism, it's just God delegating for a more personal touch

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Al! posted:

ok but where does the homestuck cosmology fit into all of this christian stuff

It all flows together surprisingly well once you realise Vriska is also John the Baptist.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm pretty sure that's the finale of Yu-Gi-Oh where Kaiba builds a space elevator to reach the Egyptian afterlife and demand to play a children's card game one last time

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

hamas ftw posted:

literally the exact same finale as the horus heresy, it just took 20 years and hundreds of novels to get there

y'know that explains a lot

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That's just an Australian bumfuck nowhere town landmark

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I misread that as 'everything is made of kings'

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I forget if it was here or some other thread but there was a study in Canada that kinda accidentally just blurted out the gist of it; 'religion' to most Westerners basically consists solely of blindly performing the motions of rituals for brutal authority figures who punish the slightest perceived deviance and also just for the heck of it. And they perceive all religion this way, they can't understand that Islam has reasonable exceptions to its rules and that pork to them isn't like garlic to a vampire.

Christianity for the most part has been a mechanism of social control, enforcing heirarchy, patriarchy, and ritualised obedience, dovetailing with the interests of the state. Only relatively recently the state stopped caring about having to directly control people anymore (they have cops for gross correction and enforcement now) and religion is mostly flailing because they don't even realise they don't have a purpose anymore now that they can't force people into church at gunpoint.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Orbs posted:

It doesn't have to be how religion works.

That's my point, yeah, it's not unique but it's so specifically prominent in Western Christianity that it colours the lens through which we automatically view pretty much anything under the umbrella of 'religion' or adjacent, in various ways, and for a lot of people they can't even perceive it as any other way. Like most depictions of Satanism, almost entirely fiction, basically have it as Bizarro Christianity. (the last Sabrina show had a lot of fun with that)

Also that a lot of it is effectively vestigial, as they don't know how to cope with losing the monopoly on social control, and so double down on the dull, tedious performative misery with suspicion and hostility towards any form of expression or joy outside the confines of the church- hence the hysterical moral panics and hostility to random elements of entertainment and pop culture, compounding the issue as for most young people, 'religion' consists mostly of an ever-growing list of things you're not allowed to enjoy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

polycritical posted:

Also, with the hypernormalization of 'reality' that many of us face, I'm forced to admit that even very fantastical things cannot be automatically discounted they way they once were.

What physically would be different in your life if la sombra Did take down united 93? Would we not have invaded Iraq? If the infamous 9/11 dust really Was the dust of a vampire coven making it's nest on floor 82, does that mean all those people would not have gotten sick from inhaling it? Posters like to joke 'death to America', because they say the country is evil. If the country was ruled by Literal evil vampires, would that really change?

Then the arguments "no the people who rule us here in real life are literal evil monsters, just not Vampires" . And then it's like, okay, but notice how none of the context or solutions change between scenarios?

I'm weirdly reminded of someone who wondered what if Palpatine in the Star Wars prequels wasn't even a dark wizard but just a powerful corrupt politician, and immediately realised how little that would change

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I assure you that people of all sexualities, kinks and tastes find it incredibly cringe. In theory there's people who don't, and we all pray we never meet them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I have prepared for a surprise attack on the Fire Nation.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Orbs posted:

Here's a secret spell to summon a succubus, just for this thread: embark on a journey of self discovery and improvement, such that at the end, you have made yourself attractive enough to potential partners that the succubus will choose to be with you. Use it wisely.

Hey now maybe the succubus could have incredibly terrible taste in men

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I've found you an excellent method for casting out demons, in the name of fan favorite deity Jesus the Christ to help keep mainstream practitioners comfortable. So now all you need to do is find someone who is currently possessed by a succubus spirit, exorcise them, and then I guess recapture and/or strike a consensual deal with the newly manifest succubus entity, for fellatio. Then you should be all set.

I hope your Coptic is good. Best of luck

I'm pretty sure this is how you catch at least one Pokemon

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The only Paul I recognise is Muad'Dib Atreides

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Squizzle posted:

did we change the spiritual nature of jacks o lantern when we started making them from gourds instead of turnips

Almost certainly. Does anyone give a poo poo about turnips anymore? When was the last time anyone ate a turnip?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I always played Peach, she was best to play and dressed great, though Luigi and Toad are best for specific stages

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Echidna and Typhon are the real classical power couple

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pretty sure most rock doves are descended from feral populations of domestic pigeons, so it shouldn't be surprised so many take to being domesticated so quickly.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Heh, gotta admit that first made me thought of the 'guardian angel' mythology and even the shoulder angel/devil things. A lot of those ideas seem to be pretty universal, or at least don't die easily, as they make good symbology. Humans are quite the hoarders for interesting ideas.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bar Ran Dun posted:

there’s another metaphor I don’t remember where he uses it, but Tillich compares religion a treasure chest hidden inside of a mausoleum.

So we're just awaiting our next prophet, Indiana Jones.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Have you actually played F-Zero because the blue falcon is not a spaceship, Captain Falcon's actual spaceship is completely seperate, the Blue Falcon is a race car and the thing that Captain Falcon himself is in practice an accessory to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Here are some additional Nemty facts. You aren't going to find these facts anywhere else on the Internet. It's possible that I've made some of them up.

• Nemty really likes oranges -- not the color, but the fruit.
  • Nemty also likes turquoise -- not the stone, but the color.
  • He does not like orange the color, nor turquoise the stone.
  • Some Deities can be characterized as sociable, or even chatty. Nemty is neither.
  • But he's a hard worker, who takes his job very seriously.
  • He likes finely woven cloth. It doesn't need to be fancy, or expensive; what matters is the craftsmanship.
  • He likes linen best.
  • He might like satin least.
  • He likes raw wood, and also woody scents: frankincense, palo santo, sandalwood.
  • He likes crows. There are no Egyptian Crow Gods, but I think if he did it again he might choose to be the first, and associate himself with crows rather than hawks.
  • He likes Astarte.
  • He does not like Set.
  • I don't know who he would play in Super Smash Brothers. I was going to say Sonic, because he's blue, and always on the move. But those gold rings might be a problem...

Halfway to a Dwarf Fortress description there.

Gods of conveyance and travel are always fun, the working gods, usually with a ton of quirks and miscellaneous domains, see Hermes.

Also he'd probably main Isabelle.