Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
https://twitter.com/cynicalzoomer/status/1742367620924334185

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

is sailor moon a witch

better safe than sorry

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Squizzle posted:

sailor moon is a god

Memorare, O piissima Sailor!

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I think it's a protestant belief that Catholics are venerating saints like they venerate God.

They don't. They honor saints like you honor your parents and ancestors

Protestants would say that Catholics pray to them, which seems like veneration since you don't pray to your ancestors, and it seems especially strange theologically if you assume the dead are awaiting judgment at the end of time.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Dokapon Findom posted:

The fish-not-being-meat thing is some serious bullshit. There's no way that can survive first contact with rational adult thought, I'm sorry

well abstaining from meat on fridays is just a post-apostolic tradition anyway

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

lol

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Dokapon Findom posted:

Old Testament God is OP. He nerfed Himself in later releases

- Added Iron Chariot type enemies

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Moses used polymorph and control water

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Squizzle posted:

if you would hire an accountant or lawyer because of their demonstrated greater expertise in large, consequential, at times subtle domains, you should understand the intercession of saints

sorry bud, but they're in stasis

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
I once dated a girl trapped in a vicious cycle of drinking water left on the porch overnight with a magic ring in it to absorb moon energy and using its powers to try to not be sick all the time

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Ohtori Akio posted:

got any more stories about dating a retard

mistakes into miracles: the ohtori akio story

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
you know what grinds my gears? when someone tells me to have a blessed day

where the hell do you get off assuming such authority, bub

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

hmm ok. I got my eye on you

nah I actually only asked from my own curiosity, because those three categories really are broad and vague enough they seem like they could encompass just about any sufficiently spooky religious practice a person could desire to put another person to death over. So if there were other particular schools of magic that were explicitly Okay, that would interact differently with what appears otherwise to be a general, but somewhat sneaky, magical proscription

most of the OT prohibitions like that can more easily be categorized by which neighboring culture it's a practice of

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
tertullian more like turdtullian

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Fleetwood posted:

the other day a teenage girl with down syndrome bagged my groceries and said this. i was taken aback at first but i didn't hate on her, i said 'thank you for your service.'

I would have told her about the keys of heaven and the primacy of st peter :colbert:

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
how many letters are there? 26
how many epistles are included in the new testament? 21
how many pseudepigraphic/apocryphal epistles are there? 5
what is another name for epistle? letter

are you paying attention yet??

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Next they'll be letting vampires teach arithmetic! :mad:

they'd probably do it for free

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Y'Al!

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Al! posted:

[to a group of vestals gathered under the statue of aries] excuse me ladies, but is this god bothering you

hmm that's odd, he's usually not this horny

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
i've met some real stinkers

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
correction: the emperor killed horus with a psychic card game on the astral plane in the middle of a sword fight in our universe, thus making the tau take a distant second place in the most japanese things in warhammer competition

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Squizzle posted:

whom would each god main on smash ultimate

i know in my bones that apollo picks the dragon quest hero every time

feeling like mercury is extremely good with bowser

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

blatman posted:

i dont know who this is but it looks like cloud and goofy got merged in a transporter accident

yep that's kingdom hearts alright

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
we are all woden on this blessed day

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
would expect a country with this flag to be a little more chill

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Cast a spell that will bless me with good posts on a gay internet forum.

ChatGPT
🌈 Spell for Forum Fortune 🌈

Ingredients:

1 pinch of positivity
3 drops of creativity
A dash of wit
Rainbow-colored thread (optional)

Instructions:

1. Find a quiet space where you can focus.
2. Light a candle to symbolize the flame of inspiration.
3. Mix the ingredients in a bowl, visualizing your desired posts shining brightly.
4. Recite the following incantation:

quote:

By the power of the rainbow's arc,
Let my forum posts make their mark.
With creativity and flair,
Bless me with posts beyond compare.
On this gay internet forum, let it be,
Good fortune and positivity come to me.

5. Visualize your forum interactions filled with joy and affirmation.
6. Tie a knot with the rainbow-colored thread to seal the spell (if using).
7. Blow out the candle, releasing your intentions into the universe.
8. May your posts be as vibrant and captivating as the rainbow itself! 🌟

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
as soon as someone here finds a dash of wit we can try it

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Squizzle posted:

3 bodhi problem

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
neoplatonists were extremely silly people and it's no surprise that their stagnation in minutiae was not as popular as believing there's a god who knows and loves you

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
yeah i bet you like monads

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
merry x-muk

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Orbs posted:

What the gently caress is a monad

It is very complicated and differs between Hellenistic and late antique philosophy, but ancient Mediterranean philosophy was pretty obsessed with the idea that everything is made of things, both physically and metaphysically, like we are made of not only bone atoms and meat atoms, but also beauty, intelligence, man, poster, etc. Many philosophers believed that on some level there is beauty etc. by itself and these forms and all creation are emanations of the monad, a kind of singularity or godhead that exhibits perfect unity, of which everything else and all ideas are lesser and lesser copies and divisions. When Christianity took over, theologians dropped most of the numerology and physics aspects of it but kept the idea of God's omnipresence.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
It is on a different axis, but they're linked historically. The focus on metaphysics had done a great deal to chip away at educated people's belief in the traditional pagan mythos, which is why they started importing their religion from the east in the form of Christianity and various mystery cults, and why gnosticism is basically a fusion of everything but the traditional pantheon.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
is ishtar chill

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

ex post facho posted:

i like the idea of a talisman against demonic machine spirits, thank you. i will find an appropriate deity to offer to for continued good fortune in working with devicés and technolögiẹ

warhammer 40k has you covered on both fronts

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

ex post facho posted:

one thing i have long wondered is why western theism trended towards such a dominant stamping out of polytheistic practice and osmotic absorption of its most popular pagan rituals. i feel in other parts of the world (and especially in native american culture) co-existence of multiple great spirits/divinity was not only accepted it was/is just thought of as natural and in accordance with our vast and unknowable universal existence as thinking beings who pop into and out of life. the various forms of christianity and western abrahamic beliefs (in the sweeping generalization sense) refused and inquisitioned away any kind of adherence to anything other than God and/or Jesus (maybe catholicism is an exception to this?). an extension perhaps of the concept of jealous godhood, taken to its extreme end in literally destroying and qŭashing worship of any other Gods.

to me i have never cottoned to the idea of a singular supreme divine. there's just too much existence for one godhood to do it all, nuh uh. even a gods gotta kick back and crack an ice cold Cöörs Lïght once in an eon

I think the biggest thing that prevents true syncretism or the acceptance of other faiths as equally or even partially true is not the idea of one supreme god, but the idea of special revelation, i.e. god himself gave us his words in the form of the bible or the commandments, etc. as opposed to general revelation, i.e. truths that can be inferred from the universe through reason, meditation, etc. Although the bible can be interpreted a number of radically different ways, some things are very much set in stone and there is really no way, for example, to reconcile the contradictions of being a devout Christian who either 1) accepts that other faiths are also valid or 2) declines to proselytize because of social norms, unless said Christian is intentionally ignoring or is ignorant of fundamental tenets of his own religion. How this exclusionary attitude developed probably has something to do with ancient Hebrews' antagonistic relationship with their neighbors, though I'm sure they're hardly unique in that so :shrug:

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Not that other religions don't have holy books said to be divinely inspired or from the gods, but I think not quite with the same assumption of authority.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
lol like i'd be proud