Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

me when I attain apotheosis again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
One of the obstacles you have to overcome to achieve stream entry and become a no-more-than-7-times returner is dependence on rites and rituals. Like you still do them but you have to recognize that rituals don't help you as much as actually living the practices and that you can't be saved by doing rituals, you have to save yourself.

Meanwhile in the degenerate West you gotta show up to church enough to convince a guy to save you smh

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Yah definitely not the best phrasing, though you do see that terminology used now and then. In general that language comes from Christianity and I was mostly being cheeky.

You'll see the language of "saving" but it's not saving from one's own sins or suchlike, it's escaping samsara, and by the point where you're in striking distance of escaping samsara you're also not worried about being saved. Specifically, there are two other things that you need to be a stream-enterer and one of those is correct self-view, and that necessitates recognizing there isn't actually a "self" that "needs saved" anyhow, though not necessarily holding that as a stable view at all times.

Anyhow it was a throwaway shitpost riffing on the empty view of simply going through motions for rites and rituals.

Incidentally, even recognizing they are unessential, the steam enterer still does them for the benefit of others.

At the end of the day, it comes down to the analogy of the boat and the river. At the beginning of the path we see "I am suffering in samsara and have a strong revulsion and so a drive to renounce from this world," in a word we want to be saved and we learn that we can save ourselves from this world of suffering through diligent effort towards the dharma. We need that boat of "saving ourself from suffering" to motivate us. When we get over that river though we no longer need that boat and we should leave it. Similarly, rites and rituals help us by being a part of learning that path, by cultivating virtues and so on. At a certain point that's unnecessary and we shouldn't keep carrying that boat. Though in that case we might continue to do those things to show others the path, to inspire others, and so on.

If someone's learning to summon demons they might use a full goetic formula. If you have a connection to a demon you don't need to do it anymore, they should give you their "direct line" (if you're not demanding a direct line from demons and doing a full ritual every time you're a chump), but if you're doing that with someone else then you should absolutely do it the long way for their benefit, etc etc

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Yeah it's not that it stops being beneficial so much as it's important that it not become an object of attachment or clinging, or aversion for that matter. There's nothing harmful about ritual, it's just that your motivation for doing them should be based on that actual benefit and not "I have to do these prostrations because those are the rules" or "I have to do these because they are the thing that will get me enlightened" or "I have to do them because I always do them" etc

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I fully appreciate the affectionate amusement provided by me being Tillich's Biggest Fan while seated at the polytheism table, but I think the above excerpt does an excellent job of articulating some of his ways of thinking that clearly participated in people like me being able to derive wisdom and guidance from his work.

Something equally relevant to observe is that after developing this life's work of ontology as experienced via a Christian path, Tillich came to identify the God-beyond-God, Being-Itself, the Ultimate Divine, as the entity that is called Spirit, rather than the Father. I think this is wildly important for understanding the sense of pluralism that sometimes arises in his work and for which he was (and still is) subject to enormous criticism from traditional Christian theists. Tillich was adamant, for example, that Being-Itself is being, but it is not a being. It is not a person. The Son and the Father are perceived and communicated with as one would another person; they are Deities. The Spirit, ever present, at once immanent and transcendent to us all, human and Deity alike, is God.

God the Father is humanity, Jesus is Project YorHa (or specifically No. 9 if you're into that Deep Lore), and the Holy Spirit is the pod network