Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

CyberPingu posted:

Plenty of countries had it under control then had outbreaks again

All 11 million residents in Wuhan have been tested for Coronavirus. The Chinese handled it extremely effectively, albeit with little regard for niceties like civil liberties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

CyberPingu posted:

Yep, we had the opportunity to lock down the country like NZ did way back in March but the Tories, SNP and the rest hosed it.

Not sure the SNP have the power to shut their borders so this is all on the Tories.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

It's really impressive how much they're loving up the vaccine. It really does feel like the second dose is never going to become available at this rate.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

forkboy84 posted:

All 11 million residents in Wuhan have been tested for Coronavirus. The Chinese handled it extremely effectively, albeit with little regard for niceties like civil liberties.

i mean they did at least feed the people they forced into quarantine which lol at our government doing

Jose fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jan 1, 2021

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

The Captain Tom bit was super wierd, but the drone constellation display was technically very impressive.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

everyone who works at the spectator gets slowly lowered into the giant blender

https://twitter.com/spectator/status/1344566951281119232?s=20

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's a shame Captain Tom is on his diseased family world tour and couldn't appreciate the display.

Jose posted:

everyone who works at the spectator gets slowly lowered into the giant blender

https://twitter.com/spectator/status/1344566951281119232?s=20

I saw this posted on Twitter with the observation that the goal of the right now seems to be joining the ranks of 'cancelled' people, even if they've done nothing of note and no one knows who they are. It's basically the new 'deplorable' I guess.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There has to be some material to write a book on the Habsburgification of the ruling classes of England in particular, just having spent their entire lives surrounded by people paid to tell them they're the big brained smart people while being completely disconnected from reality, their only skill being selling off public assets for a song and whining in articles.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

stev posted:

It's a shame Captain Tom is on his diseased family world tour and couldn't appreciate the display.

I saw this posted on Twitter with the observation that the goal of the right now seems to be joining the ranks of 'cancelled' people, even if they've done nothing of note and no one knows who they are. It's basically the new 'deplorable' I guess.

If you can't be successful, get yourself 'cancelled'.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Mebh posted:

It's really impressive how much they're loving up the vaccine. It really does feel like the second dose is never going to become available at this rate.

speedrunning turning a whole country into antivaxxers

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
I missed this at the time but apparently Captain Tom and his family spent Christmas in Barbados. What a Tory grifter

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

c0burn posted:

I missed this at the time but apparently Captain Tom and his family spent Christmas in Barbados. What a Tory grifter

https://www.nationnews.com/2020/12/31/mottley-announces-curfew-ten-new-covid-19-cases-recorded/

our biggest export is covid carriers

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

CyberPingu posted:

Those birds have had it too good for too long.

Also side bar to how much I hate golf courses and the insane amount of area they take up that's totally wasted and unusable unless you are a member of their clubs.

I live next to one and I can't walk through it unless it's on one of the paths, even though getting into town would be nearly 20 mins quicker if I could cut across one of the holes.
Are you in Scotland? You legally have the right to cross the fairway (the main playing area of a hole); they are only allowed to restrict access to the green.
This is as long as you do so safely and responsibly (i.e. not interfering with play).

Jose posted:

i mean they did at least feed the people they forced into quarantine which lol at our government doing

Not entirely. A lot of people in centralised (i.e. hotel) quarantine had to pay for quarantine themselves (in a hotel or facility they couldn't choose) including paying for food. Some places let people order in takeaway food, others you just had to be given what the hotel provided (that you paid for). Some of the conditions were pretty poor and brutal. And those in home quarantine in general used their own supplies or ordered takeaway.

But, those measures were short and sharp, and ultimately worked. The people of Wuhan have been through a lot so let them have some fun...

Ewan fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 1, 2021

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

josh04 posted:

https://twitter.com/ProfTimBale/status/1344959271742615553

IDS is stealing one of David Davis's lines here, I have this sitting on my hard disk from 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_JF5s8wfSA

I heard him say this on the TV lol

you'd be hard pressed to find anyone in politics who has earned less of their own wealth and paid less of their own way than that oval office

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Buccaneering lol. Resorting to petty theft due to the collapse of the slave economy? Sure maitey. Ahoy

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Lungboy posted:

Not sure the SNP have the power to shut their borders so this is all on the Tories.

They could have done a poo poo load more than sit back and watch what the Tories did and then follow that.

Iirc the SNP has enough devolved power to shut the border. They did just before xmas.

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK

jiggerypokery posted:

Buccaneering lol. Resorting to petty theft due to the collapse of the slave economy? Sure maitey. Ahoy

Well what are the youth of kent going to do with all those redundant fishing boats other than raiding cargo ships in the channel. Just rename folkestone New Tortuga and we're set.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

josh04 posted:

https://twitter.com/ProfTimBale/status/1344959271742615553

IDS is stealing one of David Davis's lines here, I have this sitting on my hard disk from 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_JF5s8wfSA

The two UK jobs of the future: Coding and stonks

Possible Amazon warehouse gig work if one of the robots is broken

But seriously there's a lot of honesty by omission in that quote. If you are young, rich and like playing the markets you're going to be fine in brexit britain. If you're not then lol gently caress off pleb.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
What you don't know is that IDS is actually 200 years old so his reflections from when he was 21 are accurate.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

This is going to be a fantastic year for Britain.

In 2022: Actually technically I wasn't wrong, because when the eldritch portals opened up and we descended into feudalism,

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I started 2021 with (as expected) a raging headache and diarrhoea.

What I didn’t expect was that diarrhoea coming back at my in the toilet and bath :( my new year’s day walk was just trying to find a place that would sell an industrial strength plunger. Here’s to the new year!

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Ewan posted:

What you don't know is that IDS is actually 200 years old so his reflections from when he was 21 are accurate.

He was a bag carrier in the army, so he really could be from any era.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
he has looked exactly the same for the last 20 years so could be true imo

i thought vampires were meant to be attractive and charismatic but that's fiction for you

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/dannyjnwong/status/1344956389148520448?s=19

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I have a package that got lost for three days in Europe, then turned up in Kent and has sat there for three days, so I'm getting an exciting look at how the queues are doing down there.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

At what point do the manufacturers just cancel their contracts with us

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I am looking forward to how vaccinations will be handled, as well as a mix of celebrities and people you sort of know giving valuable insight into how safe the vaccine is. Queuedown '21

crispix posted:

he has looked exactly the same for the last 20 years so could be true imo

i thought vampires were meant to be attractive and charismatic but that's fiction for you

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
Pfizer must be pissed, we're going to make the vaccine look useless because we can't follow basic instructions.

And the idea that having one dose of each is acceptable is insane. They tested these vaccines under very particular conditions. Anything that isn't those conditions is literally untested. And I'm pretty certain that 'one of each' was never even considered for testing.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Young people have plenty of experience in piracy, should be an easy transition to include murdering and conquering to survive.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Has Brenda had the vaccine yet? Would have thought she'd be pretty high on the list but I haven't seen the frothing headlines that I'd have expected.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

In reply to last thread, where I was criticised by people sarcastically wondering how the government could possibly gently caress up delivery of a vaccine:

Mebh
May 10, 2010

That IDS quote really does piss me off. To him, the opportunity to screw others out of the value of their labour by being a 'buccaneering trader' is a good thing? gently caress you for endorsing the kind of vulture capitalism that screws over everyone else (technically any capitalism I guess)

What a great island we're becoming when that's considered the best way forward for the youth of today. World first in loving other people over! Huzzah! Aspirational! Johnny foreigner will never see it coming! We're so smart!

Utter bastards.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
"I wish I could have another 60 years making terminal cancer patients last days more hellish"
- IDS 2021

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It's also disrespectful to hard working actual buccaneers who are far less harmful to the world than predatory finance industry types.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Meanwhile "defundtheBBC" is trending on twitter because racists are upset by the BLM fireworks,
"Sorry Jess" is trending as FBPE types body her for writing an article trying to say we're all in this together now after everything she's done,

aaaand "Little Prick" is trending because Brewdog are trying to choose a name for the free promotional beer they'll hand out to people who get vaccinated at their premises (if that happens)

Ahh 2021, off to a good start. :allears:

Is Twitter always like this? It's honestly the first time I've sat down and read it for a bit as I'm knackered after sanding my walls down to get ready to paint them.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Someone give kate Bingham Covid.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mebh posted:

Is Twitter always like this? It's honestly the first time I've sat down and read it for a bit as I'm knackered after sanding my walls down to get ready to paint them.

I only see Twitter posts when they're linked here and my assessment of the site can be summed up with the following gif

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I once saw IDS on the tube and told him he was a murderer with blood on his hands. I’ve honestly never seen someone not react to something so well. I was right next to him and said it loudly and he didn’t even flinch or glance in my direction. I was genuinely quite impressed. It must happen to him a lot.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
You should maybe have tried saying something to him that might have upset him to see if you could get a reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

You should maybe have tried saying something to him that might have upset him to see if you could get a reaction.

Hey now, I think you’ll find he went on GMB and did some crocodile tears about all the lives he’s ended and ruined so actually he does have a soul