Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
Happy 2021 folks..!

I really enjoyed the London fireworks/drones - wasn't expecting there to be any at all. A pleasant surprise and a nice message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

CyberPingu posted:

Those birds have had it too good for too long.

Also side bar to how much I hate golf courses and the insane amount of area they take up that's totally wasted and unusable unless you are a member of their clubs.

I live next to one and I can't walk through it unless it's on one of the paths, even though getting into town would be nearly 20 mins quicker if I could cut across one of the holes.
Are you in Scotland? You legally have the right to cross the fairway (the main playing area of a hole); they are only allowed to restrict access to the green.
This is as long as you do so safely and responsibly (i.e. not interfering with play).

Jose posted:

i mean they did at least feed the people they forced into quarantine which lol at our government doing

Not entirely. A lot of people in centralised (i.e. hotel) quarantine had to pay for quarantine themselves (in a hotel or facility they couldn't choose) including paying for food. Some places let people order in takeaway food, others you just had to be given what the hotel provided (that you paid for). Some of the conditions were pretty poor and brutal. And those in home quarantine in general used their own supplies or ordered takeaway.

But, those measures were short and sharp, and ultimately worked. The people of Wuhan have been through a lot so let them have some fun...

Ewan fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 1, 2021

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

What you don't know is that IDS is actually 200 years old so his reflections from when he was 21 are accurate.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

serious gaylord posted:

Bournemouth/Poole/Christchuch got moved into tier 4 a few days back, but not Dorset county council. Sounds simple, but in practice due to the way the new council lines were drawn up after the mergers we now have a situation in Hamworthy thats utterly absurd. All the shops are on one side of the main road which falls under BCP council. But over the road is the majority of the housing in Hamworthy, which falls under Dorset council. Now they cant go to the shop 100 yards away to buy food as this is entering a tier 4 area and you're not allowed to do that according to our MP. This means they now need to go nearly 10 miles to the next nearest supermarket in the Dorset council area, yet all their kids can mingle in the school thats in tier 4 and they can all go to work in Tier 4's Sunseeker yard down the road.

Someone please tell me this is not right?
We had a less extreme version of this before Xmas. I am right inside the border of original the Tier 4 areas, and our local shopping centre and supermarket were all in Tier 2. We decided to change where to shop which meant a 20 min drive to somewhere also within T4, instead of a 5-10 min one to our normal place. But, I am sure 90% of people didn't bother and just carried on. Problem has gone away now though because we're all in T4 now.... #

I did go for a walk one day and realise I had walked into Tier 2. Handed myself into the police that night.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Mebh posted:

Yep. It's insane. loving insane.

Are there other pages in between?

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Jose posted:

Admittedly it's on twitter but a Labour minister in actually doing something shocker

https://twitter.com/peterkyle/status/1345286875611869184?s=19
This is grim and I presume illegal.

Only one thing is that I feel this sort of investigative reporting should be focused on those that co-erce or bring in sex later into the landlord/tenant relationship; this is much more likely to be abusive and exploitative. The three guys in the Daily Mail vid were all from craigslist adverts where they made clear up front what this was about.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Decent article.

I'd be all for a complete refresh and simplification of the rules. The tiers are a shitshow. They simply do not work when they change every 3 days and when they are based on arbitrary council boundaries that give rise to issues such as someone posted here where one side of the road is a different tier than the other. And it does not help that there is a very vague and inconsistent mixture of law vs guidance.

Just put in a March/April-style national lockdown, with simple clear (and strict, enforced) rules, for a 4 week time period with a set review after, say, 3 weeks. At that review tell people a) lockdown will end as planned with some less strict, but national restrictions/guidance or b) it will be extended for a further set time period with another set review date. And as far as possible, this approach should be coordinated w/ the devolveds.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

I remember chuckling when the idiots at /b/ rigged the poll to name the new Mountain Dew flavour Hitler Did Nothing Wrong. Seems a bit less ironic now...

Getting Pitbull to play a mall in remote Alaska was pretty unproblematically hilarious tho
A bit late to return, but my favourite is definitely the The Fred Durst Society of the Humanities and Arts

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

It's fair though. I missed a a few weeks of school with chicken pox when I was 7 and I've never been able to learn how to eat with cutlery since. I have to eat off the floor out of a dog bowl. It's quite embarrassing at work.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Z the IVth posted:

Chopsticks for Chinese food.
(The properly mad Mainlanders don't even bother with spoons for their rice which I will never understand).
Works quite easily - just raise the bowl to your face and kind of shovel in the rice with the chopsticks. Esp as Chinese rice has normally been cooked in a rice cooker so sticks/clumps together more than rice you might have cooked at home.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Z the IVth posted:

It gets fiddly after your rice destabilizes when you get too much sauce/gravy on it. Have you tried eating rice covered in Ma Po Tofu?

The whole shovelling rice into mouth via chopsticks can also be considered variably rude depending on your company - sort of like chewing with your mouth open in the wrong circles.

Japanese food is handled much more elegantly with just chopsticks since they dispense with the gravy and sauces for their rice dishes and their rice is extra sticky to boot. I can quite easily handle Japanese food purely with chopsticks but I tend to prefer an additional spoon with Chinese.
I mean I have been to some pretty posh banquets and it didn't stop people picking up their bowls and shoveling rice, or slurping noodles, etc... Anywhere with posh company you aren't going to be dishing your mapo tofu onto your rice anyway; you would eat them separately.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

It's not defamation when the public knows she is already an absolute twat

PS- worth reporting some of those Tweets (esp those naming his employer and threatening his job) as targeted harassment.

Ewan fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jan 4, 2021

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Rabelais D posted:

You do this - full lockdown for a month, and you make every single arrival into your country stay in a quarantine hotel by themselves for two weeks. And you make sure transport from airport to the hotel is in a quarantine bus, not a taxi or whatever.

And you test people in high risk groups like clockwork.

If, somehow, you get new cases, isolate and test all contacts and contacts of contacts immediately.

Then you have what China (and New Zealand) have done and you get effectively zero community spread and domestic consumption, education, healthcare etc can carry on like normal.

It continues to absolutely amaze me that many people still think there's no way to beat it without vaccines.
I agree with this, but worth noting schools in China were closed for months, and the "full lockdown" lasted for several months too in some cities and provinces (although was very inconsistent across the country.).. The other thing they did, and continue to do, in China was classify areas (at a local district level, i.e. a district of a city or county for a rural area) on a level of risk (low, medium, high), with local-level rules re: quarantine if you arrived somewhere having come from a medium risk district.

The other thing unique to China is how "community" security works. In cities everywhere has community security guards, whether a shopping mall, tourist district, residential block (poor and rich). While normally they just sit there smoking/sleeping/playing on their phones, it made it [i]incredibly easy to enforce some sort of lockdown rapidly as these guards could be used for access control, and e.g. could be asked to check permits or your 'health code' (a red/yellow/green code on your phone based on your travel history). In Beijing, for example, you had to get issued an entry/exit card for your residence block; they would check it upon entry as a way to ensure that guests weren't sneaking in etc.

I also agree this sort of "short and sharp" approach if taken in the UK and elsewhere would have been more effective than what we have now, but we have to recognise some of the unique aspects of China's system that allowed them to do it (and, in general, a compliant, rule-following population). I also don't get our aversion to closing our borders like e.g. China has. I flew in 3 weeks ago and not a single check upon arrival except flashing my phone to show I had done the passenger locator form (which I could have filled in with any old crap).

Ewan fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 4, 2021

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Jose posted:

So the judge agreed that assange committed the crimes he was accused of just that he'd kill himself if extradited. Great precedent
It's not for the judge in the extradition hearing to decide if he did or did not commit the crimes alleged. What she did (which is within the remit of extradition hearings) is state that the alleged crimes would likely constitute a crime in England & Wales. This (aka "double criminality") is a key test for extradition hearings.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My mother has 2 degrees and an MA so she's not thick.

Unfortunately academic excellence does not automatically equal common sense and 'street smarts'.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

(iii) didn't China also literally nail people into their houses if they had covid?

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/coronavirus-residents-welded-inside-their-own-home/
Sure, it happened. But don't equate a few anecdotal pockets of overzealous local authorities with any sort of central or nationwide policy or common occurrence.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Jose posted:

better opposition from this oval office than the actual opposition

https://twitter.com/Jeremy_Hunt/status/1346063563450888192?s=20
Good thread I thought

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Jose posted:

lol i read an article the other day about a guy who pumped $1.4bn into bitcoin

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1346038379960537089?s=20
I'm no Bitcoin advocate but this chart is deeply misleading.... It "crashed" from 1BTC=33,500USD to 1BTC=28,500USD, and even now, since that tweet 2 hrs ago it is back up to over 31,000USD.

That's higher than any time before 2 Jan.... It's double the value it was any time before November 2020, and near enough triple its peak 2019 value.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Electric hobs are poo poo but there's induction that's as good as gas now, and the levels of indoor nitrogen oxides from gas hobs are now a subject of concern, so I'd be looking to switch my gas to an induction one if they didn't keep putting gas prices down and electric prices up every few months, as if they're dumping stock in future anticipation.
Modern electric ones are alright (the ones that look similar to induction hobs; i.e. a big flat black surface). They don't suffer from the same massive "lag" that you get with the older style ones that were basically just a lovely, exposed heating element.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

sebzilla posted:

You're still heating the element which heats the stovetop which heats the pan which heats the food.

Slower to heat, slower to cool, less control, 100% more risk of accidentally burning something by putting it on top of a hob which is "off" but still hot as gently caress.
Don't get me wrong - it's still much shitter than gas. But far better than some of the old, shittier electric hobs. I have no view on induction as I have never used one.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

If parliament is being recalled on Wednesday, is that the earliest that this new lockdown can come into effect?

What, realistically, might "strict lockdown" include different from existing Tier 4 - i.e. is it in effect just extending Tier 4 to the whole of the country? Or might they remove some of the current exceptions? Or.... maybe schools?

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What does a lockdown do that tier 4 isn't doing? Zooz?
Schools, apparently. According to Peston who is presumably live-tweeting his phone call with the No. 10 comms director

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

I have a 65 inch TV and I do not need to be 6 feet away to see the difference between 1080p and 4k. And I am pretty sure I can tell the difference between 1080p and 720p at 12 feet.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

I wonder if the exemptions will change. Meant to be viewing flats in London tomorrow (an exemption under Tier 4 at the moment).

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I guess it depends how big your rooms and layouts are.

I'm about 1.5m away from my 22" screen tv most of the time (though if I am using my laptop at my table instead of on my lap, I watch it reflected in a handily placed mirror as tv is behind me). (I should probably also point out that I almost never watch tv and just watch it. I'm almost always using my laptop to do spreadsheets, websites or shitpost.)
My living room really isn't big enough or served with sufficient sockets in other parts of the room (and I have enough trailing extension cables already without adding even more into the mix) to sit further away without reversing into the (tiny) kitchen or hall (from which I wouldn't be able to see the tv anyway!)

I would struggle to see the whole picture on a 55" tv screen.

Not sure someone who watches TV in a mirror while sat faced away from it is a good judge for TV sizing

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

It seems to be mostly the brainmotion smoothing effects that people object too, although yeah people have found some weird as hell packets being sent by smart TVs.
Motion smoothing is horrible and makes everything look like a behind the scenes documentary, but is pretty easy to turn off.

What annoys me is that some people just.... don't notice it. I'll go round a friend's house to watch a movie and then they get all annoyed when I want to turn off SUPERMOTIONPLUS setting and when I do it they just go "it looks exactly the same!".

Or you get people who don't understand/know about it and claim 'I don't like HD because it looks too real', not realising this is the stupid motion smoothness setting, not the high resolution.

I think newer TVs at least now have it turned off by default as they've realised how much people hate it.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/jo31070/status/1346163586226417665

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Why are you all focusing on wind turbines on hills anyway. Offshore wind is where it's at. Just build gently caress off massive wind turbine clusters off shore in the windy seas and we all good. Build some nuclear plants for your base load too and you have a green, sustainable mix. Maybe a couple of back up 'clean' (yes I know it's not completely clean) gas, just in case for those cold wintery days of surge energy.

And for the sake of fairness, we should recognise that the UK actually has a pretty good and progressive energy mix, and it is getting better every year.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

By far the coolest part of watching Tenet was the epic offshore wind farm shots.

The second coolest thing was going to the cinema during a pandemic to see an utterly confused sci-fi Bond movie/watch ad

Best part about Tenet was missing key, plot-crucial pieces of dialogue because the sound mixing was so hosed.

Second best was Christopher Nolan being in denial when everyone complained about it, saying that people were just "too conservative" and couldn't handle his visionary sound mixing (no Christopher, we just want to be able to make out what people are saying at crucial moments...!).

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

The best type of power plant is a giant array of solar panels in space that then transmit the energy down to earth via a highly-concentrated microwave energy beam aimed at a receiver.

If you remember to turn off disasters then there are zero downsides to this.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Julio Cruz posted:

why not, and hear me out on this, build both? particularly as offshore turbines are a hell of a lot more difficult to engineer than onshore ones

maybe if we get plenty of both then we won't even need those gas plants you mention
Don't get me wrong - I am all for building both.

You will still need something like gas though - there is very little else that is quite as agile and can be turned on/off with such ease when you need to ramp up supply during peak periods. Obviously wind turbines can be turned off (as they are in e.g. high winds), but to have enough wind power to serve your highest peak demand means you have a surplus of them that only get turned on for 10% of the year when peak needs demand. This is ridiculously wasteful (wind turbines are still pretty expensive), whereas having a store of gas and a handful of simple gas plants (enough of which probably already exist) that burn a little gas during the winter months is probably not a bad compromise.

EDIT: When I was 29, I had to take a poo poo in a train station flower bed.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Did I miss it or did he set an expected timescale or review date for the lockdown? I know schools are shut til mid Feb (until February half term) but otherwise haven't heard/seen any dates.

New rules are up already:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/national-lockdown-stay-at-home?priority-taxon=774cee22-d896-44c1-a611-e3109cce8eae

Looks like I made a good choice cancelling my trip to London to view flats tomorrow... (EDIT: although actually hidden away the exception still remains).

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Julio Cruz posted:

dogging is back again baby, awoouuuuu
2m social distance at all times

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Julio Cruz posted:

lol they just had a PUBG question on Only Connect

have a guess if either of the teams got the answer
Just watched today's... where was the PUBG question..?

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Julio Cruz posted:

the one where the four things literally spelled out Player Unknown's Battle Grounds?
Maybe we watched different episodes

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Someone has done a track changes version of the new guidance.

https://www.docdroid.net/POIBP0P/guidance-tracked-changes-pdf

Putting schools aside, pretty much same as Tier 4. Only substance differences seem to be the addition of zoos, the limit of "once per day" for exercise, and strengthening of wording re: working from home (can go to work when it is "unreasonable to work from home"). Not sure the latter two with have much teeth in the actual legislation though.

Also added golf courses to the things that have to shut, but added playgrounds to the things that can be open.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

I mean every time you post I read it out loud & it generates 5GWh

This was under-appreciated.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Boris back on.... currently talking about vaccination numbers.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Gov is going to introduce requirement for covid tests for international arrivals

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Star Wars name chat is dumb. People will rightly feel offended over it if they wish, and people have the right not to care that they are offending others.

Cheers,
Mav T'Karr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

blunt posted:

Derbyshire Police are back at it again...

Really would have thought that after the NPCC told them "yo wtf?" for their behaviour during lockdown #1 they would have chilled out a bit, but I guess police gonna police🤷 .
To be fair, ridiculousness of 'tea = picnic' aside, it is clear those two ladies were going against the spirit of the rules.

The Tier 4 regs had 2 x exclusions for meeting one other person in an outdoor space: 'recreation' or 'exercise'. The lockdown regs brought this down to just 'exercise', removing the 'recreation' exclusion. Common sense, to me, suggests that having a cup of tea while walking around a lake that you have driven 5 miles to get to is more accurately described as 'recreation' than 'exercise'. Obviously going for a walk is and should class as exercise, but in thise case bringing a nice cup of tea is what swings it towards 'recreation'.

This is separate to whether you think those rules themselves are actually reasonable, and/or if you think the police should be putting resource into enforcing such balanced nuance rather than - you know - investigating all those crimes they keep delaying.