Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

Following the established pattern I slept through the new year in the hopes of improving the outcome.

Hello 2021 goons of the future.

It's very good here how are you.

About to nod off myself.

Also happy new year everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Dabir posted:

My read-through of the Discworlds has got to Unseen Academicals and man is the slip in quality noticeable. I couldn't say what it is, but it's just noticeably worse executed than the ones before. I think I'll leave off with this one, I don't particularly want to experience the rest of his decline and I don't want to get to the one where Granny Weatherwax dies.

Yeah that's the one where I gave up too. I've read them since I was little but I just couldn't bring myself to read the last couple.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I dunno why viennetta is so cheap given how posh it is. which it is.

Vienetta is a bit funny in that some posh people I know like it as a cheap, plain ice-cream, when artisanal/homemade isn't an option, in the frugal posh kind of way, especially with fresh fruit

OTOH I've seen people hate Hagen Dazs with passion for being a pretentious, over-sweetened American ice-cream with a german-sounding name to seem posh.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Skeletome posted:

Honestly I want to quit, take the time off to train and become a scrum master, because at least then I'm empowering people in a team to be happier when they work, but £1000+ for a mandatory certification is a big ask ):

I have some doubts whether that's how it would be, in my experience the more "formally" agile a place is the more toxic the management is.

Not that I'd ever say that to an employer.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

The really stupid thing in which the UK differs from the EU version is the £1000/p.a. registration fee.

This is for literally every company in the world that wants to sell things to UK customers, even if they only sell to VAT-exempt businesses!

Also "online marketplaces" are basically exempt (in the sense that the marketplace can handle it), so LMBO if you think this will do anything but help Amazon and the like, since that's the only way a small vendor can now sell their goods without a bunch of extra costs.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 5, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

peanut- posted:

Why? Genuinely curious as iirc I'm sure I've seen you post about working in imports etc before.

The basic concept of this that an overseas seller should be subject to the same tax burden in the UK as a UK seller seems surprisingly controversial to the UKMT.

It's a significant extra cost for non-UK businesses - nevermind as some of the companies mentioned that if every country in the world did this (rather than dealing with it via customs as is normal) then that would be a massive administrative burden to deal with it. And if every country charged £1000 p.a., well, that's £200k p.a. per company.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

jiggerypokery posted:

I think that's the quote shatner got from his accountant to do the paperwork for him

Ah I thought it was a fee that had to be paid.

Still it's a significant extra cost.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Reveilled posted:

The problem you run into with the facebooky questions is usually more about what the "Brackets" operation means. Say the problem is

2 / 3 ( 2 + 1) = ?

OK, so first it's the "brackets" operation. Some people think this means "perform any operations within the brackets, then remove the brackets". Others think this means "multiply out any factor directly adjacent to the brackets, perform any operations within the brackets, then remove the brackets".

So group 1 solve the problem as:
2 / 3 ( 3 ) = ?
2 / 3 * 3 = 2

Group 2 solve the problem as:
2 / ( 6 + 3 ) = ?
2 / 9 = 0.22 recurring

Group 1 is "conventionally" right, but what trips up group 2 is that these sorts of x(a+b) constructions don't start appearing until you are doing algebra, usually several years after you learn order of operations, so you don't actually get formally taught where "number adjacent to a bracket with no operation symbol" sits in the order of operations, and by the time you get to doing alegebra, any question involving a factored bracket is either testing your ability to multiply out a bracket or expecting you to cancel out an unknown term from both sides, so the question is always going to be constructed such that one of those things is necessary. So it's not unreasonable for pupils to assume that multiplying out a factored bracket sits in the B operation, not the M operation, and they're never going to encounter a problem in school which teaches them that's wrong, because teachers and textbook writers are not setting out to write ambiguous order of operations problems and so 99% of the time group 1 and 2 will arrive at the same answer.

It's also worth pointing out that in almost all programming (Matlab and the like excluded) the answer is that that's two values, 2 / 3 and (2 + 1), or a syntax error. And even in cases where it's interpreted as multiplication I don't think it would always be consistent.

e: and that's ignoring potential integer division

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 6, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

RPN is a stack-based notation, which is something that makes sense to programmers, and, well, that's about everyone it does to.

Maybe mathematicians and the like too.

The idea is you have a stack of numbers, and putting in a number you "push" it on to the stack, and by using an operator you "pop" the last two off the stack and push the result on the stack.

so:

Stack = [3], Stack = [3, 4], Stack = [3, 4, 5], Stack = [3, 20], Stack = [-17], Result = -17

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 6, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

And there's only one of them that's any good and it doesn't do any half pictogram bullshit:

Oh yeah that's a good one for loving with people.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

Is there a reason it uses emoticons rather than letters?

Am I allowed to use emoticons instead of letters to do algebra? If I could remember how to do algebra anyway?

Oh yeah sure.

Give it a go. It definitely is solvable too.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Here's the solution for anyone who hasn't heard of it.

It was a pretty funny meme a while back.

https://www.quora.com/How-do-you-fi...be901&srid=u13p

It's worth reading.

TL;DR:

a=154476802108746166441951315019919837485664325669565431700026634898253202035277999,
b=36875131794129999827197811565225474825492979968971970996283137471637224634055579,
c=4373612677928697257861252602371390152816537558161613618621437993378423467772036

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 6, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

therattle posted:

It’s not a great tweet but it’s pretty tongue in cheek, no? I think you’re being a bit harsh on her.

I was going to say the same, it didn't come across as completely serious to me.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Crossposting from the political cartoons thread, but here's an excellent politoon about that new years opinion piece everyone was talking about a few days back:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Josef bugman posted:

Which piece was that?

I can't be bothered to find the exact one but it was about how the past year wasn't actually bad and personal growth something something.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

On a positive note it looks like cases are either starting to stagnate or perhaps even possibly drop a bit in the last few days:

Obviously there's the weekend effect but at least it's not soaring quite as much anymore.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Oh I know it's only new cases, but at least it's not, uhh, accelerating? Which by itself is a good thing.

As for the deaths given the 1-4 weeks lag that's going to be soaring for a while yet.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 11, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Ewan posted:

I don't get the whole rationing out a weirdly small amount of pasta thing. You can buy 1kg of pasta from Sainsburys for 58p. And presumably if you are a bulk purchaser you can get it for even cheaper. So even 4kg of pasta is going to cost you just over £2....

Presumably it helps with the creative accounting to generate a good whack of profit. I.E. you charge for repacking, shipping associated costs, etc., a couple times more than it costs you and hey, what would you think, extra profit!

e: ^^ It's profiteering is the point IMO more often than not, rather than cruelty. Workfare to get cheap labour for your mates, cutting benefit expenses via sanctions and "medical" disability exams, so on and so forth.

The cruelty is just a side PR benefit for your voter base.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 12, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Flayer posted:

It's a complete lack of empathy and the natural end state of capitalism. "Oh, we have 50 peppers and have to fill up 100 boxes. Minion, put half a pepper in each box". The solution doesn't have to be efficient or have value or make sense, the people at top have already made their money, and that's all that matters.

Half a pepper? In my time we had a quarter of a carrot of veg a week. And not even the good quarter, the bland middle bit and precut long enough to be stale. Uhhhh. Hang on.

Seriously how does that meet nutritional guidelines.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Gort posted:

The number of deaths per day from coronavirus is now at an all-time high, even more than there were in March:

It's going to grow for probably another ~4 weeks at least, with active cases you already have a ~2 week delay and that's even more pronounced with deaths.

The good news is that new cases keep dropping, from 60k for most of the last week to 48k the day before yesterday and now 46k yesterday. So unless that's a statistical blip it looks like things might calm down a bit within a few weeks.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Also from googling around there's this apparently:

quote:

In 2019, Compass Group company Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services cut ties with US organisation Cenikor after an investigation found that Cenikor had supplied drug rehabilitation patients as unpaid labour to work in canteens.

and

quote:

Boss behind free school meals scandal earned £4,700,000 last year

lmbo (to be fair the parent company is very large)

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 13, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Eagerly awaiting the 10k laptops worth £600 each that will be available.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

stev posted:

They'll be running Vista and Office 2000 and the povvos will be drat grateful.

LMBO you are right unless my math is wrong that's £200 per laptop (from the article in the tweet):

quote:

On 1 December, the Government released details of two contracts awarded to Computacenter for the provision of 59,900 devices, worth a total of £12.4 million.

Looks to be about the price of a low-end chromebook (e.g. Dell Chromebook 3189).

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 13, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

WhatEvil posted:

Computacenter is owned by Sir Peter Ogden - he's worth something like £400m and has given over £25m to charity - largely to a trust he setup to teach children physics (he's a physics grad) but also to others I believe.

As far as I can tell, he's *not* a Tory donor. That he's charitable and not apparently a Tory donor there might be a chance of them providing half-decent value for money but we'll see.

I know a bit about him because I looked him up when we made a conservatory for him at my old workplace. He lives on Jethou, a private island out by Guernsey. According to those who met him he was a "nice bloke" but people say the same of Boris so...

Here's a response to that article with a bit more detail:

https://twitter.com/Rob_Kiteley/status/1349252363111038976

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

peanut- posted:

How much value does the 48-hour working week thing have in practice? Every employment contract I've ever signed just has an opt-out clause in it.

IIRC that clause has to be voluntary, they can't make it a condition of employment.

Now whether that matters in practice, well, with the work tribunals being what they are, that's another thing.

e: Also according to the NHS it has some further implications you can't opt out of, namely:

quote:

• 11 hours continuous rest in 24 hours
• 24 hours continuous rest in 7 days (or 48 hrs in
14 days)
• a 20 minute break in work periods of over 6
hours
• 5.6 weeks annual leave (pro-rata for part-time
staff)
• (for night workers) an average of no more than
8 hours work in 24 over the reference period.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jan 15, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

Was the opt-out one of the things that Britain pushed for or was it the Frugal Four?

I don't know about that, but apparently the opt-out applies on per-country basis and is not universal:

euparl posted:

A Member State shall have the option not to apply Article 6 [maximum
weekly working time], while respecting the general principles of the
protection of the safety and health of workers, and provided it takes the
necessary measures to ensure that:
– no employer requires a worker to work more than 48 hours over a seven-day
period, calculated as an average for the reference period referred to in point 2 of
Article 16(b), unless he has first obtained the worker's agreement to perform such
work;
– no worker is subjected to any detriment by his employer because he is not willing to
give his agreement to perform such work;
– the employer keeps up-to-date records of all workers who carry out such work;
– the records are placed at the disposal of the competent authorities, which may, for
reasons connected with the safety and/or health of workers, prohibit or restrict the
possibility of exceeding the maximum weekly working hours;
– the employer provides the competent authorities at their request with information
on cases in which agreement has been given by workers to perform work exceeding
48 hours over a period of seven days, calculated as an average for the reference
period referred to in Article 16(b).

So it's really Britain's fault that it applies in the UK in the first place.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 15, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

In fact here's a map of countries with the generalised opt-out (blue ones):

Orange ones have it for emergency workers and the like, green ones for no workers at all.

Bulgaria and Finland Estonia, well, uhm, I guess? Apparently Cyprus too even if it's not on the image.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 15, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

mrpwase posted:

Latvia Lithuania Estonia would like a word with you

whoops :v: in my def..., uh, I only glanced at the map?

e, alternatively:

Can't, they have to be at work.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 15, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Julio Cruz posted:

Malta too

e: Estonia/Latvia/Lithuania are in alphabetic order north-south if you ever need to recognise which is which

I always go by Estonia being non-slav hence closer to Finland, and Lithuania being former part of Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth hence being closest to Poland.

When I actually bother distinguishing them from Finland that is.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

stev posted:

Is Poland the anti-vax capital of the world or something?

Apparently the government party is half-full of conspiracy theorists and their UKIP-equivalent is full-on crazies.

Here's some more random figures I dug out (which would generally appear higher but the gist of it is the same):

quote:

The survey also showed that 82% of those backing Poland’s Left party and 65% backing the liberal Civic Platform support inoculations. Among those who support the governing PiS party, 56% share this view. Only 5% of those who support Poland’s far-right Confederation Liberty and Independence party, meanwhile, approve of coronavirus vaccinations.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 15, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Perhaps a hamster posted:

None of those countries are Slav.

Slavic-adjacent, at least, unlike with Estonian.

e: Though I know it's a touchy subject what with Russia/USSR and all that, but at the same time I can understand bits of Latvian and there's no way I could understand say Finnish (aside from "perkele" anyway).

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 16, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I got the vaccine yesterday and so far have only experienced one symptom: an overwhelming urge to buy a Surface Pro

As someone who really likes surface it's definitely a complex choice.

The screen is great for colour accuracy/sketching (if you get the pen) and resolution, but it's no longer incomparably ahead of others in the same price range. The form factor is likewise nice but with the massive advances in GPU performance in the last 4 years you won't be able to do much gaming on it outside of older games, unless you get the surface book which is really expensive for what you get in terms of performance (though the up-to-4k pressure sensitive touchscreen is still better than anything for comparable price, nevermind among 2-in-1s).

There is the option of gaming via geforce/ps now, which works great, but then you don't need such an expensive piece of hardware in the first place.

Also the small screen is not particularly great for coding, the resolution may be excellent but you really need the screen to be bigger to make use of it, otherwise the text is too small to read without concentrating.

YMMV it's still excellent as a cross between ipad pro and laptop. The smaller size of the pro compared to the book actually helps a lot if you want to use it as a tablet, the book is a bit too big to comfortably use that way.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Mr Phillby posted:

I have a surface pro 3 and its okay. Windows 10 is uniquely bad at handling pen input unfortunately so theres a couple of little frustrations and annoyances that make using mine a bit of a pain. I don't have the keyboard case so this is my entirely pen driven experience

Yeah I've had SP 5 and now have SB 2, so I have some experience of it.

One thing I'd recommend for the touch interface is TouchZoomDesktop (replacement for the touch driver, not as necessary as it used to be since the default driver improved, but it does have some nice features like emulated mouse and universal pinch-to-zoom) and TouchMousePointer (onscreen overlays of various kinds, including things like a gaming controller and virtual touchpad, you can make new ones via the Tablet PRO Manager windows store app) by the Japanese dev SummerLoveTrue.

They are free for personal use and have no ads, but it's best to download older versions since the new ones have some features only with a paid license. Also they have basically zero footprint (like 10MB memory and 0.3% CPU if turned on).

Here's links to download the standalone (older) versions - it's fine to let them update:

TouchMousePointer: https://www.dropbox.com/s/397sij8wst80y3n/touchmousepointer2079.exe?dl=0
TouchZoomDesktop: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0q9mlylnd4cv1e8/touchzoomdesktop2079.exe?dl=0
Tablet PRO Manager: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/tablet-pro/9nblggh1rqvc?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 17, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Chubby Henparty posted:

I've had a pro 2 and 4 for work and they've been lovely to use but their batteries stopped holding any charge after a year and aren't servicible.

They are with enough gumption, but it's really easy to crack the screen when you do. I've had it serviced in a PC repair place and it was fine and fairly affordable, but YMMV.

It's basically the same as your modern smartphone or whatever in terms of difficulty.

Youtube instructionals
Replacement battery

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 17, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

blunt posted:

For starters I could imagine it being something landlords pass onto tenets but losing the single occupancy and student reliefs...

This but also make tenants directly liable and make it per capita not per household.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Can they even do that? Like where do they send on your records with no new place registered?

the bin presumably

realtalk: I have no idea about any of it, but I wouldn't think so

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

What we value most: cronyism

What we don't value: poor people being able to survive on benefits

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Yeah it's still basically in the single market.

lmbo

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Jose posted:

lol there is seemingly a UK poster who lurks this thread or cspam who has convinced themselves i voted leave and now accused me of it in qcs and gbs

who is it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

endlessmonotony posted:

Oh lol that guy.

100% melted down when I told someone else that when they're cheating in a game they're not really going to have any insights to the difficulty level.

Man 2020 has been even weirder than usual with goons. Did they confuse you with Tess or something?

It seems like he's a hilary supporter who got upset that wikileaks leaked the dem emails showing how they hosed with bernies campaign, and lexiter is short for british leftie.

Just a guess though.