Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Here we

Here we

HERE WE FUCKIN' GOOOO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Anyone else feeling weirdly free tonight? Just like... boundlessly unshackled from foreign bureaucrats or something?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Guavanaut posted:

I am feeling like hypothetically that someone could import whatever they liked through a container port as long as it was plausibly labelled for the next 3 weeks, does that count?

I think it's close enough!

Niric posted:

From anyone else I'd think this was brexit joke, but I'm like 95% sure you're being literal here

Believe it or not the references that might have seemed bondage-y were actually completely innocent that time and I was making a Brexit joke.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Guavanaut posted:

That's how it historically worked, so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't now. But why start with the 1 sq ft owners?

*Points at a random sparrow* Once I deal with DEFRA I'm comin' for youse

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Niric posted:

UKMT January - December 2021: truly terrifying sounding things

NOW we're talking

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Jose posted:

i'm reporting this post to the brexit police for using a funny character

What, like... Basil Brush?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I think we should have a general election.

I concur.

Primarily to see the Lib Dems have fewer seats than the DUP, Shinners, or Plaid, and match the SDLP. :laugh:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Yeah that particular style of comedy is insanely uncomfortable for me, I don't find it amusing just skin-crawlingly displeasurable

e; 2019 was a pretty bad year, but lmao we were naïfs.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Necrothatcher posted:

As far as I can remember it's consistently pro-severe lockdown from the start.

Yeah that is not the gotcha 99 thinks it is lol

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

RDevz posted:

The big problem with wind generation is that it's variable - some days, you get 30-40% of our electricity days for it, and some days the country's becalmed and you get not very much power at all. Storage can iron out those bumps to a certain extent, but it's not massively great, as grid-scale batteries are really bloody expensive, and due to the nature of lithium-ion technology, the most economic batteries to build have a duration of about 60-90 minutes of discharging capacity before they need topping up again.

The scenario that will have National Grid really worried is a cold, calm spell during winter. We don't get any power from solar to meet the demand peak, and if there's not much wind, you start to challenge the ability of the remaining power stations to meet demand between 16:00 and 19:00. If things get truly bad and customer load has to be dropped in order to keep the electricity system up and running, we could see wholesale power prices hit £6,000/MWh - equivalent to a retail price of £6/unit compared to your usual 14-15p/unit. If this happens, you can expect to see a whole host of smaller electricity suppliers go bust in very short order.

Careful now, talk like this could get people thinking things like "Maybe the purpose of public utilities should be to provide them to everyone rather than put money in shareholder's pockets"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Big if true.

:laffo:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Guavanaut posted:

Badly worded question problem, they were obviously going for addition but hosed the wording. Reminds me of all those "only genius will get this" social media questions like 4 + 2 * 5 - 1 = ? and the correct answer is "define your order of operations binch".

Yeah but the real trick about those questions is that the order of operations is first brackets, then left to right.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Don't forget Churchill was booted out at the first election after WW2 ended. (But then they voted him in again after 6 years)

Just read this hagiography of him on gov.uk
No mention of his dark deeds at all.

https://www.gov.uk/government/history/past-prime-ministers/winston-churchill

My favorite bit about that is in World War Z where on of the characters is talking about WW2 and how Clem Attlee was a third-rate mediocrity whose only claim to fame is beating Churchill in the '45 election because Churchill was insisting we need to finish the war with Japan and the British people didn't want to bother :allears:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

crispix posted:

it was met with a lot of eye rolling where I was working today. I've heard from nurses who really resent the hero poo poo because dedicated as they are they didn't go into the profession to put themselves at risk of death - they're not field medics :mad:

Like, what I'd do is, while the crisis is ongoing I'd support them with the country's entire and formidable bank of resources. And once things are finished and Covid is firmly in the past, then I'd probably do a one-off event where I ask the country to give thanks, acknowledge that they didn't sign up for that sort of thing and commend them for stepping up when the country needed it, do the clapping bit, and then be done with it. Having it as a single thing that is rooted in like, what's it called... oh yeah sincerity seems like it's a lot more likely to be appreciated, at least if it's been backed up by best efforts to support them.

Not surprised in our timeline it's just pissing people off because it's a transparent attempt to avoid giving the needed resources because hey you're being paid in ~the country's gratitude~

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Lol some events occurred

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

feedmegin posted:

Luffbra m8

:hai:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Maugrim posted:

Oh looky here it's time for the

:siren: First General Meeting of the UKMT Solidarity Fund :siren:

The "meeting" will take place both here in the thread and in the #ukmt-solidarity-fund channel of the UKGoons Discord over the next 24 hours.

There are two items on the agenda. In summary, what we need from you is:
- a vote - Aye or Nay on Resolution 1, below;
- your thoughts on how these general meetings should be conducted in the future.

For this one I went with: 1 week's notice; 24 hour duration; thread and Discord both valid venues, but voting must take place in the thread. Is that stupid? You tell me. Preferably after reading the rest of this post.

I vote Aye on Resolution 1.

What I'm going to say is coming from a place of personal ignorance so it's entirely possible (even probable) these things have already been addressed. That said;

I think that the general ideas behind how to hold a general meeting given the online nature of the charity make sense. It may be worth checking that there is nothing in law about what actually constitutes a 'meeting' or 'annual meeting' or the like - I'm thinking in case there are any odd conditions like "Must be completed on the same date as begun" or the like? (Or worse that there are in fact some kind of regulations that make demands of personal proximity etc though I assume those would have been encountered by this point by the trustees and those aiding them).

I also wonder, and this is more adminstrative-functional than legal, if assuming the mods agree it might be better to create a thread specifically for the UKMTSF which is solely for the business in question. That would have obvious advantages of readability, as well as making it easier to collate relevant discussions in a single location rather than spread across multiple, growing numbers of general UKMT threads. The obvious disadvantage, meanwhile, is that people may be reluctant to go and attend to another thread rather than one they read regularly, and this may risk reducing participation/attendance/etc. That said even if that were done I would suspect the best way to proceed would be to still make a post in the UKMT about upcoming/ongoing matters, and either duplicating monthly reports here or posting a link to them.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Guavanaut posted:

The only current UK coins that are legally* weights are the 1p and 2p, which as they're 1/8oz and 1/4oz exactly** probably isn't even the case post-metrication. The new 10p is close enough to a US quarter that you could probably even use the same rolls.

They're near-identical, I've accidentally tried using a quarter/10p piece in the wrong country back when I went between the two reasonably often :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Endjinneer posted:

This is a common cognitive bias. The classic example is instructors believing that bollocking trainee pilots for bad landings was more effective than praising them for good landings, not realising that performance tends towards a mean. A poor landing and a bollocking is more likely to be followed by a better performance, whereas a good landing and praise is more likely to be followed by a poorer performance.

If you get a group of people to roll two dice and bollock anyone who scores less than a 6, most of the "poor performers" will score more highly the next round. Without being primed to spot it, most people would take that as vindication of the method.

idk I've given my dice enough bollockings over the years to believe they just grow more spiteful and get my PCs killed

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Guavanaut posted:

And the state doesn't benefit from starving kids, and those individuals only benefit in the shortest of terms, so greed doesn't fit, so either it's avarice, greed so short termist and extreme that they're willing for long term social harm for immediate personal gain, or spite deflected, where they're hoping for public approval of the harm.

"What if we built a society with neither bread nor circuses?"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Failed Imagineer posted:

The Dutch parliament seems to be outdoing the Tories in the Poorcrusher Olympics today, and the coalition looks likely to collapse under the weight of Pure Centrism. Literally extorting poor people because Computer Say So

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/14/dutch-government-faces-collapse-over-child-benefits-scandal

The wild thing here is being barred from appealing, what a wild stricture to place on anyone. Not to be gammony but we let murderers and rapists appeal their convictions and sentences, but the Dutch weren't letting people on the hook for what is to the government piddling money do so? hosed up.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

bustin keaton posted:

Eh. The Dutch thing is not really any worse than what the Tories have been putting benefit claimants through since 2010. What's blowing my mind living here is that doing it was legal but, because it's not in the spirit of what the government or law should be doing, one of the ministers has already gone, and now the government may still collapse. Imagine that sort of accountability.

When I got told to gently caress off for not being disabled I said "Yes I am" and it was a pain in the arse to get them to believe me but I mean, I did. Which isn't the same as being convicted of fraud but like, "no you cannot appeal this" is absolutely WILD to me.

On the other hand yeah, lmao IRL at the idea a mere scandal that hurt tens of thousands of people, tore families apart, bankrupted many, and caused immense hardship for no good reason would cause a British government to collapse.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Not So Fast posted:

Ditum is one of the notorious TERFs isn't she?

Yep. Even puts "Vaginacentric" in her twit bio.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Bloodly posted:

Which then leads to the question: "What is the end goal?" What do they see happening when they've drained everything? What do they hope the country to be after all this, presuming they do get everything they want? I can't understand.

The thing is they lack the imagination, or perhaps the daring, to see that far ahead. Things won't change, not really, in their eyes - everyone will keep plodding along and they and their mates will keep getting their money and that'll be that. They don't comprehend that there might be a breaking point where they end up getting Romanov'd - if they do think of the possibility they either assume the force of the state will remain loyal or that they'll be able to sod off to elsewhere and not really lose much - or that there may be disruptive events that ruin things.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

goddamnedtwisto posted:

7) By far the most likely - a frantic attempt by Sanitary Naptime to counter-lathe their and Ms. Adequate's own accidental creation of the funniest possible future:

https://twitter.com/Madam_Adequate/status/1350137895177355265

When this happens I will accept the wrath of the Scottish people, but my execution will not be needed because I will most assuredly die laughing.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

slang used for three weeks in brompton, shropshire, in 1864 by a drunk bloke who slurred his words badly enough to make a new one, and his two mates who heard him and took the piss for said three weeks.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

knox_harrington posted:

Twitter seems to be chock full of barristers behaving like total arseholes. It feels very much like the stereotype of engineers who think because they understand the properties of concrete well it means they understand the entire universe, except with barristers the skill is pontificating.

This prick for instance https://mobile.twitter.com/Francis_Hoar

As I understand it the organisation that represents barristers' interests is the same as the regulator which I guess is the reason they have brain damage from huffing their own farts too much.

Went to a post of his about Covid and how apparently an awful lot of people have become tankies now. Comments are full of incredible rifles who can't comprehend that context exists, for example in explaining why mass lockdowns to deal with the worst pandemic in a century is different from mass lockdowns for no reason whatsoever, and thus the calculus of "is this a tolerable imposition on personal liberty" is radically altered.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

crispix posted:

That's surprising. I'm from Ards

DO YOU REMEMBER WHEN MILLISLE HAD ALL THEM AMUSEMENTS AND GOOD ARCADES AND IT WAS THE BEST PLACE FOR WHEN YOUR GRANNY TOOK YOU FOR A DAY OUT AT THE SEASIDE

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

crispix posted:

YEAH THERE WAS THE PLACE WITH THE ICE CREAM IT WAS GOOD

WHY WE SHOUTING LOL

I was very excited to remember how great it was lmao

Also there was that one chippy

Also I saw a VERY large crab there once when we were staying at the caravan with my uncle Bobby that gave me the heebie-jeebies biggest crab ever imho

Angepain posted:

something something Ms Adequate something something

What a wonderful moment to enter the thread :allears:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

if nationalism is such mind poison how come's it nobody tells palestinians off for wanting a two state solution :thunk:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Someone in this very thread compared Scotland to Palestine, if that's not loving Grade A Farage-strain brainworms going on I don't know what is.

I cannot for one second believe anyone thought that was anything other than a big shitpost designed to rile things up.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Seen in The Guardian

Cry louder, rear end in a top hat.

:laffo:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Am I missing something?

"I never thought they would eat MY face!" cries man who voted for Leapords Eating People's Faces Party.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

gh0stpinballa posted:

idk why but i'm feeling extreme melancholy about what we lost with corbyn tonight, having not thought about it much in months. obviously it was not perfect and some of it was poo poo and cringe but for a moment i saw the beach beneath the pavement my friends. and they loving stole it from me.

I know how you feel. 2017 was a travesty and it was entirely the fault of the Labour right.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

feedmegin posted:

Out of curiosity, why are you taking it as read that the Republic actually wants to absorb Northern Ireland? To the extent of also subsidising Scotland apparently?

This comes up occasionally when reunification is talked about, and basically: Because the economic cost means absolutely nothing next to the general Irish belief in unification. I'm not saying any RoI government would definitely welcome Ulster, but the country's foremost political objective for a century now has been to unite the island, so getting the opportunity to do it and refusing would take, uh, shall we say courage* **

*Because the 'Ra would go after them with a fury that makes their hate of Thatcher look like a minor quibbling disagreement over a £12 item in the budget.

** Of course if it requires any constitutional changes the Free State would have to hold a referendum which could go any which way lmao

Plus one presumes that it solves a lot of headaches for Dublin and thus the EU in trade matters, doubleplus Brussels would think it's loving funny if the UK broke up because of Brexit and would have ever incentive to support the Irish economy as it absorbed the North.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Guavanaut posted:

Alkali salts belong on licorice.

And licorice belongs in the bin.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

wooger posted:

*Irish citizens* don’t get a say in British politics, oddly. Now do a poll in India to see how many think Kashmir should be 100% Indian.

Kaal was speaking in reference to the question of whether the Republic would actually take the North should they want to reunify. So their opinions on that side of the equation are very much germane.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

BalloonFish posted:

Johnson's "of course, as I was prime minister I take full responsibility for everything that the government has done" is approaching Gordon Brown's "I take full responsibility for what happened, which is why the person responsible left immediately" as contrite speeches which mean diddly-squat.

Of course, Brown had (IIRC) merely employed a political advisor who had sent an email proposing a formal campaign of smearing political opponents, rather than killing 30% more British civilians in a year than the Luftwaffe managed in five.

It's amazing to look back into the misty, far off era of 2008 and see what constituted a good high-level political scandal back then.

Edit: No cats, but I'm pretty sure my guinea pigs have done 158 poops in their fresh bedding since I put it in yesterday afternoon.

Those are some adorable wheekers :allears:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

So they're finally listening to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

namesake posted:

Eh there's some clear statements - transphobia is as unacceptable as racism or sexism, debate is not a cover for bigotry - that are solid lines that should be brought up over and over again until they are backed by action.

It's not enough but this has been tolerated for a long time in the SNP and now has reached a point where Sturgeon feels she needs to act and she's backing the right side so I would be hopeful from this rather than dismissing at this moment in time.

Yeah, it remains to be seen whether anything will be done about it or if it's just talk, but it is at least the right talk, and she's already under attack in The Comments for it so that's something at least