Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

XMNN posted:

probably tomorrow evening

Monday morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Umbra Dubium posted:

OK, who had the Darkest Dungeon re-surfacing on their 2021 Bingo card? Own up.

In time, you will learn the tragic extent of my failings.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I agree with Owlfancier, I can't watch any of the cringe comedy things in any way without wanting to just try and run.

It's a kind of visceral "flight or fight" reaction from me and I always just end up leaving the room because I have no real understanding of how to deal with tension.

I think the best experience that I can relate to it is. It's like you are at school and your all in assembly and have to listen to some dude do a presentation on whatever the hell. And they are bad at it. Not comedically bad, but just messing everything up, being unengaging, avoiding looking at people etc. You can't leave because you have to be there and all around you people are talking softly, not paying attention and just generally ignoring someone who appears to be trying to tell them something.

To me, that is a kind of nightmare. It's not even being up there doing it myself, it's having to witness it and not being able to do a drat thing about it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I like all the pylons. I also like the wind farms.

They are weird and slightly alien and off kilter, it's cool.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/AccidentalP/status/1347135270299295745

Jesus Christ.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Endjinneer posted:

Blaming social media for the insurrection in America is like blaming pamphleteers for the English civil war. It just happens to be the newest facilitator of communication at the moment. If we don't blame it we have to admit that the problems existed beforehand.
That Douglas Adams essay from 1999 touches on these ideas- How to Stop Worrying and Learn to Love the Internet.

It's the loving Darnton Debate all over again. "Oh books caused the French Revolution, no Magazines did".

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Private Speech posted:

Crossposting from the political cartoons thread, but here's an excellent politoon about that new years opinion piece everyone was talking about a few days back:

Which piece was that?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

What an absolute shithead pissflaps is.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I was kinda fascinated watching a bloke in the queue in front of me at the shop the other day who pulled his mask down to type on his phone then pulled it back up to read whatever it was he was reading - he did this three times (it was a long queue) and I just really don't get what his thought process was.

"the mask is too loud for me to type".

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Voting Aye on Item 1

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I think that the best example of the Tories idiocy is JRM refusing to accept the idea that UNICEF actually needed to help people.

The idea that started in the right wing press about how the poor aren't actually ill, or worried or even truly poor has become something that people earnestly and honestly believe in this country. There is no bottom because people refuse to see it. Every last one of the people who exist in poverty is there because of material circumstance but to say that would imply that we've failed in some way, so that can't be it. It must be their own fault.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I think the overarching issue is that we are also defined by who we are friends with.

And a larger problem is that a lot of people, even people who have suffered, buy into the ideas of those around them when they do better. Because ultimately even when you are doing well you don't want to collapse everything or change stuff too much, otherwise you might end up back where you were and that is terrifying.

Ultimately I don't know, I want everyone to get along in some way but some days it's just hard to see a way of doing that.

Beefeater1980 posted:

Didn’t the Sensible Centrists mostly break for Corbyn, albeit with plenty of grumbling, in 2020? I thought it was the red wall collapsing plus the rock solid Tory pensioner vote wot did it, not the Social Democrat dolchstoß.

I mean this would not surprise me in the least. It's just that people get more mad about the media ecosystem of this country and then that attacking against the unremitting poo poo there was transfered towards everyone else who might agree with the Newspapers sentiments.

It's why I think if we'd actually had a successful Hutton inquiry and changes in Newspapers we'd probably have a Labour government atm.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 13, 2021

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Lord of the Llamas posted:

"ukip-lite Tories or Jeremy Corbyn. How is that a choice?"

A really loving clear one?

This is the overarching problem. To a lot of people there wasn't a difference because they were told by all their mates that their wasn't a difference. It truly is mind blowing how utterly in hoc to right wing media this nation is.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

stev posted:

And they're still doing it with the above comparisons to a literal far right terrorist attack on US soil facilitated by the president. It's deranged.

It really is end of history brain poisoning. The belief that "nothing is actually happening" even as things happen is just mind blowing to me.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Being end of history during Brexit is one thing, being end of history during a pandemic that's being terribly mismanaged even by the standards of pandemics a century ago is quite amazing and requires similar levels of detachment to a David Icke or similar.

People just refuse to believe it "It'll all go back to normal soon" becomes no so much a thing said as a desperate mantra.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

It's incredible how little thought these folks put into anything.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

"We didn't read it we just said "work on it" and then it was done"

loving Christ.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Vitamin P posted:

The Labour right are the worst human beings imaginable.

Counterpoint: The conservative party exists.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Jel Shaker posted:

is this another excel calamity?

Please, these very secret documents were obviously kept as .gifs

OwlFancier posted:

I mean it is genuinely stupid that we have two words that are spelled almost the same and which are also pronounced the same which mean exactly the opposite.

Inflammable means flammable? What a country!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I keep just thinking back to the MST3K episode with Samson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCqU9iTms14

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

An all-time great, if only for the big man's grand entrance. The Quality Street advert party and Halloween decoration "special effects" are just icing on the cake.

"I fell sort of silly right now, did I over dress?"

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Vitamin P posted:

If there are any online lefties that genuinely don't think the big tech companies aren't going to swerve the banhammer towards them hard a. in the next few years and b. with zero pushback because the banned were presumably problematic then please PM me I have an exciting Sahara Sunset Club opportunity for you.

Mate, they already do this? Most Leftists online who do funny talking on twitter have gotten banned multiple times for doing things like "telling Elon Musk to eat my whole rear end" or calling a Conservative MP a "Slug faced damp hamburger". This has already happened, how the gently caress is someone so terminally online as posting on something awful not seen this already?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Vitamin P posted:

That isn't true though, posting lib-tier identikit meme owns is still absolutely allowed.

The closest example of what you're talking about is like The Serfs getting banned for functionally no reason? And yeah that's bad but are you genuinely saying that lib-left people are banned more than alt-right people are? That's an absurd thing to say.

Do you know why they aren't? It isn't out of the goodness of the tech companies hearts I can promise you that. It's because you can drive engagement with them and generate income with little to no risk of blow-back. There tech companies may well ban certain people at certain times, but as long as they lose a big chunk of eyes they will either not make it last long or allow similar things to sprout up again. The only reason they got rid of some of the alt-right is because they are worried they are going to get sued into the ground, and there are still lots of alt-right accounts on twitter and facebook and the rest.

To say "ooooh they will come for us at some point" is asinine.I'd personally say that it is not going to do anything unless there is something the equivalent of the capitol hill situation organised from the Left, because the model for tech companies is eternal growth. The Serfs are already back as of this morning too. Your paranoia is about something that already happens, but you've decided that it's important now because [???]. Why do you think this is a foregone conclusion and why do you only seem to think about this now?

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 19, 2021

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I was going to say something to that effect too, yes. The defence against blanket removal of left wing viewpoints is not philosophical free speech absolutism which the power structures can already ignore if they want to and is clearly incompatible with left wing ideas because it is rendered powerless by sealioning, it is making left wing viewpoints so integral and pervasive to online discourse that removing them would make the platforms significantly less viable. Which is the exact same reason the far right has been able to hold out until they started trying to literally execute the US government.

Exactly! Like now facebook is going to have to deal with losing not only a fair few people but worse, from their perspective, a lot of engagement. These were the boomers clicking on gold, dick pill and gun ads on the various Chud social pages.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Vitamin P posted:

It isn't though, the post exactly before this talked about The Rules as though ToS is some intristically good, apolitical god-like meaningful thing rather than the whims of a scummy tech leadership, it isn't asinine whatsoever to point out that's bullshit, especially because your initial point was 'yeah it's bullshit but lefties have suffered more from it already uwu!'.

The very obvious counterpoint to your We're Doomed theory is that the left could just defend free speech, larping insurrection poo poo is absolutely irrelevant to that concept.

Glad the serfs got their channel back though they seem nice.

Of course not. Those things are going to be used dickishly by the folks in charge all the drat time. The proper thing is to build stuff separately. Ben Shapiro isn't going anywhere for instance, and I don't think a lot of the Alt-Right are going to be gone from twitter, so why do you think that it will affect anyone else?

What the actual gently caress? No. I am not going to defend loving Fascist's freedom of Speech. I refuse to protect the freedom of speech of anyone I'd probably punch in the mouth for being a prick.

Why worry about this "now"? We've known that they are at the whims of lovely tech billionaires, the operative idea is "why should we worry about that more at the moment, beyond the weird idea that there is an equivalence between Left and Right discourse?"

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 19, 2021

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Big tech is not going to magically not have control if people start arguing about free speech a lot, their control is rooted in material conditions and will not be defeated by philosophy.

This! We always knew tech companies aren't our friends and to ask me to go "no please don't tell Donald Trump to gently caress off" in the vague hope that it will prevent, I dunno, a Palestinian org getting banned from twitter? I don't think it works that way.

Vitamin P posted:

The number of you defending big tech having control of allowed discourse is loving astounding, do you think the Sun and the Daily Mail have had so much influence accidently?

Do you think that complaining about Trump getting banned will result in a resurgence of Leftism? The various different Leftist groups that do organise through social media are usually of the Liberal variety, those that actually fully protest use word of mouth or other networks for the most part because they kept getting banned.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Vitamin P posted:

Cowardice argument, the defeat of material conditions hardship will neccesarily depend on philosophy, "people shouldn't suffer pain needlessly" is 'philosophy'.

Then make a compelling material argument as to why we should give a poo poo about Nazi's getting banned. If something changes and Leftists start getting banned (more than they already are) I am sure we will be there, but there isn't a reason to give a hot tin gently caress as to some arse called "RAHOWA1488" can no longer post.

Vitamin P posted:

Lazy posting seems to be your gimmick but to indulge, free speech is about allowing agency to the poorest, most vulnerable people in any society regardless of the social mores of the time. When you say you don't support the speech of X people you're saying you support the supression of X people and protip, X varies. Congrats that you'd be the enthustiastic French collaborator I guess not sure that's something to be proud of.

The poorest people of the time are gay trans people, they are often scared off of twitter by Petit-Bourgeois chuds whom foolish people have mistaken for the working class. The poorest and most vulnerable people are also not posting on twitter.com.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

Granted, it doesn't help that it's cold and dark all the time, I'm unemployed, I can't go hang out and decompress with friends, and I'm drinking way too much to compensate, but this year has probably been the most difficult for me in a long time, and certainly the first where I've genuinely worried my mental health resilience might be reaching its limit. I'm holding it together, but it is hard sometimes.

Heya Bud. If you want to talk or just vent about it I am sure we are all here for that. Keep safe!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Tower Bridge syndrome, sometimes known as 'Gothic revival'.

If you're going to pretend to be old, at least go for Classical or Egyptian or just build a ziggurat.

I swear I walked through one estate in central London that felt like a Minoan palace complex. That was a cool revival.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Our God is not a Smiling God, and we are ready for war.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Probably one of the late Peabody/Model Dwellings estates - there's a couple around Soho that fit that bill (although they're more a hybrid gothic/egyptian thing - turrets, but also sandstone) or maybe the ones along Tooley Street either side of Tower Bridge.

(For some reason Chrome is crashing whenever I try to open Google Maps, but have a poke around Drury Lane, St. Giles, and Tooley Street to see what I'm on about)

It is one of those. I could walk to it but I cannot remember where it was exactly.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Nahhh it felt more claustrophobic than that. It was near the Freemason building.

It's this one, one that we are not allowed to see inside: https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5135397,-0.1236957,3a,75y,293.88h,106.6t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sOtHHkxMiaoEosgAS6y8NBQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I'm going to come across as very silly, but I do kind of like the idea of living in a small space. I don't know why but it makes me feel like your on board a big colony ship going through space.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

I am very boring so bare minimum want my bed to be in a different room to my living/eating space. Very boojy I know.

I always liked that idea of fold away things. Like a bed that folds up and it's got stuff on the underneath.

I don't know why but I just like things that change into other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

He actually did 6 albums of (mostly) covers in the American Recordings series, Personal Jesus was on American IV with Hurt.

The whole story of those albums is amazing, basically Rick Rubin got so sick of how mainstream hiphop had become that he held a funeral for the word "def". He found out Cash had been dropped from his contracts after a massive addiction relapse - he put Cash through rehab and basically said "Here's a guitar, here's a mic, here's a list of songs, pick the ones you like and record them". Most of the songs are pretty much one take with only a tiny amount of accompaniment added later, and every single one of them was a Johnny Cash song no matter who originally wrote it.

Dang, that is a really cool story!