Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
RIP flash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

RSfuckingPB?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Surely the drones only look right from like one particular, quite narrow angle? How did everyone know where to stand?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I'm paying hundreds of pounds for some traffic lights for a couple of days in a week or so. They'll come on a truck or whatever and set them up and take them away after but we could have a roving fleet of traffic light drones zipping automatously about the country to take up temporary traffic light roles as and when needed. Even in real time for motorway accidents. Be much cooler.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

They've just become public domain I think? They said on the radio.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Its not even new year in China.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

You should maybe have tried saying something to him that might have upset him to see if you could get a reaction.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Probably someone buccaneered it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I guess when you're trying to keep rules simple enough to be able to follow for like millions of people theres going to be a few local oddities pop up. The people should shop on the other side of the road. We'll all be tier 7 by next weekend anyway.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

Looking back at particular things that caused people to stop giving a gently caress about isolating I reckon there's a big three;

1. Cummings doing his disease-ridden UK tour and then the Prime Minister saying it was Good Actually and in fact is morally much better for a father to do than following the rules is.

2. The BLM street protests and every lib-left idiot excusing them as 'ah but donchano racism is the real disease'.

3. The government ordering people that were working from home perfectly well to pointlessly go back into localised workplaces. The gov hosed up almost every stage of this crisis but that was the most nakedly stupid moment.

1. I think this lead almost directly into the bubbles too? Probably the most abused excuse to do what you want in the whole setup.

2. Lol not touching that.

3.I do wonder what the stats are on transmission in workplaces that don't need to be workplaces. But yes giving the impression this gave has undermined the importance of isolating if thats the word we should use.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

They needed a threat scale that allowed endless additions at the top end. Like when you're sending a kid to bed with a countdown and you end up at 9.5 and a quarter and a bit and you're dragging your words ouuuuuuuuuut. Not ideal.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lol. The solution to covid is to make covid more scary by having black people protest and scare white people indoors.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I think we should have a general election.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

But it's not funny though, you're just watching some prat be a prat and everyone else just knows they're a prat and the camera points at them for too long and at some point this elicits laughter in some people. There is no emotion, you are watching a thing that is not funny, or interesting, it is just there. There is no catharsis or tension like in a horror movie, you might as well watch footage of people walking down the street.

Good punchline this.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

How would kids forget how to use a knife and fork just from being at home for a while unless they're from a culture that doesn't typically use knives and foh it's just more soft racism.

Because I can't be arsed to enforce their use, I'll let better parents do it with their kids who will them shame the ones I was supposed to teach into doing things properly.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Thinking back to primary school, sitting round the table it'd be >80% sandwiches and crisps, sometimes the Asian kids would have things like samosas which are still food inside starch eaten by hand, sometimes one of us would get something with chips and then the chips would become communal.

Hunger is hunger; but the hunger that is satisfied by a cooked meal eaten with a knife and fork differs from hunger that devours communal chips with the help of hands, nails and teeth.

I'm not sure how any of that helps knife and fork use, so I think they're just making poo poo up. :ms:

If you are getting free school meals for your child because you're poor, then it's cooked food eaten with a knife and fork.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Sad Panda posted:

At our secondary FSM kids get 2.50? 2.10? per day of credit on their account and use it for what they want. Some of that is pasta in a pot eaten with a wooden fork, but frequently sandwiches.

I'm talking about primary school. Kind of assumed that was where the learning to use a knife and fork age kids would be.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I wish we could plot this threads approach to solving covid.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Mebh posted:

My approach is just screaming silently and hiding on my sofa with my wife and five cats and then drinking so much I destroyed my stomach and can't eat or drink much anymore.

This is me but I don't have a wife or sofa or thankfully cats or a working stomach.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

crispix doesnt take anything seriously, I'm incredibly angry that someone put crispix in charge. It's ridiculous.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Sanford posted:

Does anyone have that thing posted his weekend showing there is general support for closing schools? I think it was about 60% if you added strongly support and somewhat support together. I’ve just had a scroll through but couldn’t see it.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/education/survey-results/daily/2020/12/30/2ac0b/3

67%

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Presumably its a way to get rid of Boris?

Why are Boris and his crew in the papers saying that things are going to get worse and stricter in the future? Surely if we know that, it makes sense to just get stricter now?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Im still going to blame other people a bit because theyre the ones I see doing things I know I'm not allowed to.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Im still voting Brexit party as I'm sure there must be some more things we could leave.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Ewan posted:

Modern electric ones are alright (the ones that look similar to induction hobs; i.e. a big flat black surface). They don't suffer from the same massive "lag" that you get with the older style ones that were basically just a lovely, exposed heating element.

I have one of these right now. Its rubbish.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

LPG cookers are a thing, but - as much as I love a gas hob - I don't know if I could be arsed going through the extra hassle of swapping out bottles (or the expense of getting someone else to do it) - I suspect if you priced it up an induction hob would probably work out cheaper, and be better in almost every way (the only advantages of gas over induction being cheaper initial outlay and cookware and being able to light a fag off it).

My parents had this when I was growing up until right now. They have two of the big bottles and switch over when one is empty so always got gas. They last for ages. You do need space for them i suppose where they can't get nicked.

Aidan_702 posted:

https://twitter.com/colinrtalbot/status/1346093451633426434?s=20

I would like to inject this into the thread then watch the rumour mill go absolutely ablaze

quoting this for the new page because otherwise there will be no blaze.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 4, 2021

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

What does a lockdown do that tier 4 isn't doing? Zooz?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The gov.uk explanation could be better, it doesn't specifically meantion you can't have multiple bubbles:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/making-a-support-bubble-with-another-household

It also explicitly says that whilst you should avoid it you can change your support bubble. Your situation is supposed to have changed to necessitate it but it doesn't say how so I guess you could just say I don't like that person any more and then you can rebubble. But it takes 10 days, you need to leave a 10 days gap between bubbles.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I think theres places where wind turbines look great and probably places where the landscape looked better without them.

The tesco in york used to have twizzly ones in the car park which seems like a nice idea. But theyre not there anymore so I guess they didnt work.

I had a long conversation a while ago with my brother about the economics of English villages having their own wind turbine each like they used to have an old windmill. Whether it could work to let people see where their power is coming from and feel a little ownership over 'their' turbine, whether that would help to combat nimbyism.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 4, 2021

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

These also look awesome.

Want to kick the first one over and watch what happens. The tower takes off like a rocket?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Pylons are shite. We should get rid of them. I seem to remember entering a competition to design more appealing pylons a few years ago. I guess I didn't win.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

why on earth wouldnt they prerecord it?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Barry from eastenders is an excellent pro-am celeb quizzer.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

The Perfect Element posted:

Lol, looks like Johnsons wrist watch must have stopped before that live broadcast, as it certainly wasn't showing 8 O clock.

LIES!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Also I've just realised Boris has two union flags in the background. Kier only had one!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Stalybridge and pylons? Eurgh.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Do you cook your fudge by induction or gas hob? Do you use windpower to provide your electricity to power your possibly non gas hobs? Does fudge get cooked on the hobs?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

What flavour is toblerone?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

surely asking for ferrero rocher fudge in this thread is wall worthy?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I dunno why viennetta is so cheap given how posh it is. which it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Camrath posted:

my private pre-prep

Good job you clarified it was private. lol