Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

They set up and maintain nature reserves, it's their big thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

We have many wind and solar farms in Cornwall and I am strongly in favour of putting them everywhere possible in our current circumstances.

All the same, they absolutely do spoil the views a bit. To the people who think wind farms are beautiful, that's nice for you, but so is the Taj Mahal and yet I don't want to see the Taj Mahal everywhere.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Don't forget Churchill was booted out at the first election after WW2 ended. (But then they voted him in again after 6 years)

Not really. Labour got more votes than the Tories in 1951, it was FPTP that ruined everything.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

peanut- posted:

In a fit of new year stupidity I signed up for a vegetable box delivery. Anyone know what a human does with a celeriac?

Serve as an unnecessary side dish only in case you hate it, as many do (including me).

Celeriac-lovers in my family like it roasted with leeks and cheese.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Ewan posted:

Common sense, to me, suggests that having a cup of tea while walking around a lake that you have driven 5 miles to get to is more accurately described as 'recreation' than 'exercise'.

You sound completely nonsensical, to me. There are forms of outdoor recreation that aren't exercise, and those aren't allowed, but that doesn't mean exercise has to be unenjoyable to be allowed. We want people to exercise.They're more likely to do it if they can go somewhere nice and have a cup of tea.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Aye on item 1.

I'm fine with it in the thread.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Jakabite posted:

Cruelty can’t be the point if it isn’t intentional. It’s more a by-product.

This assumes people have perfect knowledge of their own motivations, when in fact everyone constantly fools themselves.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

peanut- posted:

Because I got so many good suggestions last week, anyone have inspiration for Jerusalem artichokes?

Do not listen to the naysayers! Jerusalem artichokes are the finest vegetable. They are best peeled and roasted, at a fairly high temperature so they brown outside (they should be mushy inside). You can add things if you like (eg garlic, leeks, butter, or just gravy).

A common alternative is soup. It's good as soups go, but roasting is better.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

Savings can impact your legal entitlement to UC but I'm 99.9999999% certain they don't do anything but the most cursory checks.

I was investigated for benefit fraud once because I filled in a post office form to get my post redirected (on account of being ill, which was why I was entitled to benefits in the first place, but hey ho). Got it sorted, but it was an eye-opener about the DWP's sources.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

justcola posted:

I've noticed it too, a strange sort of insistence for optimism no matter what

It's just "Your problems don't matter", with a side dish of "But I wanna". They don't insist on cheery denial when castigating 'cancel culture'. Only when they're asked to think about the situation of others, or the consequences of getting their own way.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

DickEmery posted:

I was just reading the shocking truth about Ricicles earlier...

https://www.cerealkillercafe.co.uk/blog-what-really-happened-to-ricicles/

We had a Noddy ricicles record and so would say 'Noddy, ring your bell!' at times of excitement.

We all like ricicles, they're twicicles as nicicles!

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

WhatEvil posted:

I don't know if codeine has these effects on everybody or if I'm just particularly susceptible to it.

I have had codeine and noticed nothing like this at all, sadly.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

CoolCab posted:

don't even get me loving started on beans

Preach it, brother. Even the English can be set on the right path, though possibly not without great suffering.

I have consumed no more than half a teaspoonful of mushy peas in my whole life. Baked beans are harder to avoid; I have eaten perhaps a tablespoonful or so. These dreadful incidents are seared into my memory.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think viruses specifically select for lethality unless it somehow increases communicability.

I suppose this might arguably happen in a proper lockdown, if severer cases go to hospitals and everyone else stays at home. (I know that's not what's been happening.)

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Got my first dose coming Saturday fellas :c00lbutt:

Mine's the Saturday after, yay.

(I'm in the clinically vulnerable group.)

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I can't keep anything on by ear loops. A bit of wide elastic round the back of the head works well though, or of you don't like elastic, narrow cotton strips tied together behind the head, but resting on your ears to stop them slipping down.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'd say considerably more so.

I bloody wouldn't.

Still traumatized by what boys at my primary school did to my friend :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I mean if there were teenage boys at your primary school that's a whole other set of problems.

I went to a girls' senior school (a not unrelated fact), but I know from third parties those boys carried on for a while.

I am not going to draw conclusions about a whole gender from my personal experience. I am just sceptical of other claims, without evidence.