Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

endlessmonotony posted:

Given the UK's economy just crashed, the plague is spreading without any meaningful way to contain it, and Boris is in charge?

I may be genuinely worried. I may have been for a while.

You contain it with a lockdown. We're not in a lockdown. They aren't trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
If one person with a square foot kills all the other holders of squared feet, do they automatically obtain the title and can they combine it to actually become a real lord and get a castle and stuff?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

josh04 posted:

https://twitter.com/ProfTimBale/status/1344959271742615553

IDS is stealing one of David Davis's lines here, I have this sitting on my hard disk from 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_JF5s8wfSA

The two UK jobs of the future: Coding and stonks

Possible Amazon warehouse gig work if one of the robots is broken

But seriously there's a lot of honesty by omission in that quote. If you are young, rich and like playing the markets you're going to be fine in brexit britain. If you're not then lol gently caress off pleb.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

stev posted:

If Eton has a buccaneering course sign me up!

Eton IS the buccaneering course

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Quick, everyone get diabetes

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if this is a money thing. As far as I know they're getting billions thrown at them. They're surely running at capacity?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
'we really want to show you but we might lose our job' is the weakest poo poo ever when you're a journalist. Like you wouldn't be set for life with that kind of scoop. The actual issue is we don't have journalists anymore.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

The story of Mountains of Madness might as well be "aliens find the journals of Southern plantation owners documenting the revolution". The Old Ones' writings tell a very good tale of the Shoggoths being bestial and unintelligent and talking in a grotesque parody of their language and all that, but we only have their word for it. Of course, H.P. Sauce's viewpoint character believes it implicitly and is scared shitless by the thought that something non human might still be alive down there.

Shoggoths came up a lot in his stories and they were invisible and rowdy

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

endlessmonotony posted:

There's an additional very severe problem, OwlFancier.

The chance that you develop immunity to some but not all the tricks the vaccine is trying to teach your immune system.

Then when the virus is still spreading uncontrolled, if a virus variant dodging the vaccine appears, it'll spread through these supposedly immune people like wildfire, and then that virus variant has a much higher chance of being immune to all of the vaccine's methods. On top of being everywhere all of a sudden and also killing the vaccinated vulnerable people.

This seems like an issue with how everyone is rolling out the vaccine though, not just the UK. Isn't the only way to ensure you avoid this scenario to basically wait till everywhere has enough vaccine and then try and give it to everyone in like two weeks? Because that isn't going to happen.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Endjinneer posted:

It's relevant that case numbers have been increasing despite lockdown conditions that would previously have been sufficient. Rather than holding back vaccine stocks for a couple of weeks to administer as second doses, the plan is to throw a needle into every available arm in the desperate hope that it does some good.
As pointed out, every vaccine used this way results in a person with questionable immunity. The best outcome is that we carry out a large scale study of efficacy and find later on that it gives meaningful benefit. The worst is that it gives no benefit and all the vulnerable people that survive the experiment end up getting three vaccine shots instead of two.

There is evidence to suggest decent immunity from one shot, at least in the AZ trial because of how they hosed up. As for 'no benefit' i'm not a doctor but that seems unlikely. The lack of a reinfection wave points to a decent level of lasting immunity in people that have had actual covid, combined with the stats that say 1 does goes up to 90% efficiency after 14 days.

I'd say the bigger issue here is 'will it actually be 12 weeks or do we just not get the second dose'. If they can change the dose regimen this late into the game whose to say they won't do it again. Like fine, it's out of control and now we wait 12 weeks for the second dose, but we really have to get that second dose. There can't be any more delays.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If you are getting free school meals for your child because you're poor, then it's cooked food eaten with a knife and fork.

While a variety of food was provided everyone used to just get a plate of chips and a bun

We upgraded in the later years by escaping the school at lunchtime and going to a chip shop

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jel Shaker posted:

the fork is a dastardly tool invented by the swarthy Italian royalty, i prefer to stick to our jorvik roots and eat with only a knife and my bare hands

Then how did they eat curry in 884 ad??? This doesn't seem right

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

mistermojo posted:

why does Starmer always look so nervous. isnt he a fancy lad that should be used to talking to the media

Because he's acting. And badly. It's his adult politician man impression.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
How easy is it to gently caress up intramuscular injections? Can you still gently caress someone up with air in the needle?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Bobby Deluxe posted:

A good motivator I read about was reframing the question from 'I should do the thing' to 'when am I going to do the thing.' It feels more resolved.

For example, if it's almost 5pm, it's probably time to stop thinking 'i should get up' and start thinking 'when am I going to get up.'

Which is weird, because you'd think that would be the exact circumstance that would be impacted. "The impact it's had on my business is that I can't go round to people's houses any more, and that's how I make income." They should be able to claim the covid relief. They probably can't claim UC because of the 16 hours thing, but they should at least get the self employed covid relief.

Whereas my business involves sitting at home alone, so really I can't argue that the pandemic has had any effect other than psychological strain. I don't even have the excuse of "I can't concentrate with the kids / my partner home all day" because my wife is an essential worker and I don't have kids.

There's weird rules that stop a lot of self employed people claiming anything other than the one off loan. Claiming dividends I think was a common one.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

stev posted:

They need to just bite the bullet and adopt the NZ model where no one gets in and those that have to get in are forced to isolate (rather than just asked to).

They won't do it but until they do we'll just continually import and export new varients until we're all dead.

Variants aren't automatically an issue. The real problem is if the new variant is vaccine dodging. Which they seem very blase about considering the vaccine is all they've got beyond incredible damage to society.

Like they've got their out, their solution which doesn't involve actually challenging the order... and they are risking it because they're such fuckups.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

jiggerypokery posted:

Yeah I don't get the dislike of it either but it hurts my head and I'm sure I don't understand something about it

I just assume because the tories did it it's bad for everyone but the worst of the worst.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

:stoked:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

The Perfect Element posted:

A friend of my mum's (whose a bit of a prick, and entirely not medically vulnerable ) just emailed his local hospital and asked if he could have a spare dose of vaccination.

They were like 'oh hey yeah, sure, good idea', invited him down, and now he's getting all of his mates to do the same. Quite successfully.

What

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
There’s too many Welsh people?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Communist Thoughts posted:

its just a large number of the english posters don't notice how myopic they are and go all telegraph as soon as a scot (or american sometimes) talks poo poo about the english
its a bit better nowadays cause its so obvious england is getting worse and worse now, but its still a noticeable phenomenon as an english ex-pat

lots of "the english arent in charge either, its westminster" kinda thing ignoring that being english outside of london is still a step closer than being anything else else and gets first grabs with everyone else getting forgotten or scorned
scotland is probably hosed if they scexit but they're definitely hosed if they don't, we should all be looking for our ways off this sinking ship

i dont really know why the thread is so hostile to Ash, if theres a good reason i forgot it. dunno if people confuse them with AceofFlames or whatever the hilariously depressed poster with loads of cash
funny to see Vitamin P getting licks in too since they were also someone treated with a lot of hostility

the thread sometimes just gets its hackles up, or pemanently has its hackles up and sometimes bites

How about you enjoy the fact you escaped and let the rest of us get on with it. Because the automatic response to you and anyone talking about 'the english' should be 'you should try living here'.

Like, do you guys ever have a point? All the poo poo the Empire and its successor forms did is not hidden knowledge at this point. The only reason 'the English' collective punishment poo poo is done is to piss people off. Stop acting like there's some noble goal here.

Or take it to the CSPAM uk thread, they'll love your shtick

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 9, 2021

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
gently caress all names you can’t stick -eh on the end of. Keitheh doesn’t work. Dumb name. Bad.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Remember pissflaps got away with that poo poo for years because everyone decided he was 'trolling'. Always take these dickheads at full sincerity and treat them accordingly.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Danger - Octopus! posted:

If people don't follow Jack Monroe, she's got a thread on twitter about how lovely some of the food parcels that replaced vouchers are.

https://twitter.com/BootstrapCook/status/1348698098139328513

I'm the single pathetic tomato :(

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Borrovan posted:

I actually don't believe that one's real

The fruit & veg is fresh, for a start

That's everything I need for my famous chili con apple. Gonna have to use grated cheese as rice but bootstraps.

Might just smash my balls in with the potato. Choices.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I'll watch the anime

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pistol_Pete posted:

Re: the developing Zero-covid campaign - I've been struck to see the right-wing press already gearing up to attack it, which I think is really interesting:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/01/14/lockdown-sceptics-have-one-last-chance-lead-covid-debate/

What does the thread think about this? Once the vaccinations are well underway, should we end restrictions and learn to live with Covid, or should we concentrate on vigorously eliminating it?

My own feeling is that learning to live with Covid is a false argument: as long as we're continually needing lockdowns due to rampant Covid, the economy's never going to recover.

You haven't identified the real issue. That there won't be anymore lockdowns and anyone over 50 or with comorbidities gets sent to 'special' 'treatment centres' that don't actually have doctors. You get put on a ventilator or CPAP and maybe you'll ride it out but if you crash you crash. This removes the one thing they couldn't ignore, hospitals being overwhelmed.

In such a scenario we might get 'lucky' in that a new industry begins with covid only medical teams and bing bong, covid is monetized.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

TheRat posted:

Seems she has a history of ~interesting tweets~

So close and yet so far

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Dead Goon posted:

When I got my first proper job we used to work a 5 on / 3 off shift pattern, 6am - 6pm.

Took us ages to convince our manager we should move to 4 on / 4 off to match what the production teams were working (we were quality assurance).

I liked 4 days off, and you get numb to 12 hour days after a while.

Ah, numbness. Always a good thing.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Ironically the time has never been better for the chance of a unified Ireland. The current lot have no loyalty to nation so if they can some how get ever richer from jettisoning NI it will happen.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Dr. Bloodborne, PhD (bloodbornolgy)

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Just Another Lurker posted:

I can hope for unification but the realist in me counsels strongly that i delay for decades so as not to trigger: ''The Troubles 2.0'', which would be coming from the other direction when compared to last time.... i wouldn't want to help set off that crap on people again.

They'd try. But the British rights descent into unintelligible idiocy isn't just metaphor. They're seriously impaired. It'd come down to if the intelligence services got involved again.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
sovereignty all over the shop

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Do I want to live and work in the UK? Not really.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It may also be an attempt to frame what Rashford is doing as 'good capitalism'. Look what the rich powerful guy can do, this is how welfare should be.

Always remember how Tories and their voters are huge proponents of charity because it keeps people from getting too angry but also is an implicit refusal to fix the problem.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Seems whoever is managing it in Wales is managing to fk up distribution too.

Who could have foreseen this? :(

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 17, 2021

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

It's poo poo but if it's monument trashing time then who the gently caress cares about 'the law'?

Like, I know they exist, but lol at the type of person who falls exactly between 'oh no i wouldn't ever join a protest, it's naughty' and 'smash the state, build the guillotines'. Legal revolution only.

Although yeah I worked it out as I was typing this that it's just another law to punish us because they know people will try poo poo as we get more and more desperate. Gotta keep those prisons full and the fines coming in.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

This whole thing is so dumb because it's removed life expectancy from the 'quality of life' equation for the very people he claims to be supporting. Part of the 'good' things about living in these times is that you have a pretty good chance of making it to old age and, barring any major illnesses, most people think this is a good thing. But this guy is suggesting that at any time this can be thrown away to protect the 'mental health' of the younger. But this means those younger people now have to think about the fact that every year the age the less their life is worth and some dumbfuck lord is going to decide to sacrifice you for the NEW younger generation. Does his criteria for 'worth' mysteriously line up with how much you benefit capitalism?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

keep punching joe posted:

Finally Britain first :britain:

They would have all died anyway within the next 200 years.

Combine gyms with pubs and open em up!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Can people not just take the money out of their bank account? Inadvisable as it would be to just have money sitting under your mattress this would bypass the restriction right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I understand that you have to apply for a minimum of 3 jobs a week, but if you apply for jobs that are too low for your skills (which are probably the only ones around if you are, say, a PhD in a STEM subject with 30 years experience in various roles) or apply for jobs too outside your skills, then you can get sanctioned for that as well.

What in the gently caress? I live in North Wales where even retail jobs are quite rare. The most common return is for care home nurses. The gently caress would I be expected to do?

Lose a job here right now and the best you could hope for is they build another Amazon warehouse