Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

who the gently caress is surcaptain tom more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I don't remember mega racism in mountains of madness, even if the entire conceit of it is weirdly fashy.

The story of Mountains of Madness might as well be "aliens find the journals of Southern plantation owners documenting the revolution". The Old Ones' writings tell a very good tale of the Shoggoths being bestial and unintelligent and talking in a grotesque parody of their language and all that, but we only have their word for it. Of course, H.P. Sauce's viewpoint character believes it implicitly and is scared shitless by the thought that something non human might still be alive down there.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

My read-through of the Discworlds has got to Unseen Academicals and man is the slip in quality noticeable. I couldn't say what it is, but it's just noticeably worse executed than the ones before. I think I'll leave off with this one, I don't particularly want to experience the rest of his decline and I don't want to get to the one where Granny Weatherwax dies.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

already gone

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pablo Bluth posted:

Self-loathing and celebrating failure.

business as usual but doing an impression of irony then

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

so is there actually a more transmissible covid variant or not

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

in what way is the new virus more transmissible? would it be too paranoid to go back to washing all your shopping

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

if you lot are planning to spend all day building strawmen of each other can you do it somewhere more useful, like the middle of a field, a nice big one so nobody has to watch you do it

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Whilst I feel I'd have disagreements with Guto Bebb politically (especially wrt his views on use of Force) I have nothing but the greatest respect for the man and his culture. His story just goes to show that anyone can find success in Britain, even if you came here a long time ago from a galaxy far, far away.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

there, it's me, I'm doing it, get mad at something that's actually happening for once

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

there's a tory mp called loving bill cash

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Guto Bebb wouldn't be a Star Wars name if Star Wars didn't exist so maybe you should take this fight to George "Lukey G" Lucas.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

CoolCab posted:

they were in fact enormously racist to it in basically any sensible read lmao

e: this is definitely the kind of thing i need explained when i make metaphors

the original sealion comic was about gamergaters, not a general pattern of behaviour anywhere else

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

stev posted:

I don't see how he benefits from this? Sure it weakens Kier as a leader but simultaneously acknowledges that his government is poo poo, and gives the public ammo to be rightly infuriated by it.

Is his sole aim to be able to say "Labour is just as bad as us, you have no choice" in four years time?

firstly, you're assuming he's planning that far ahead. secondly, you're assuming he's still going to be there in four years. thirdly, you're assuming that he can't just go "we're the greatest country on earth wot wot! those are british fish and chips rotting in the street! pakistanis back where their burqas came from!" and get a landslide majority

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I have a feeling I first saw it in one of these threads but this article is very illuminating. The British attitude to absolutely everything seems to be to do it right as long as you're forced to with a gun to your head, then do it wrong at the earliest opportunity and keep doing it that way forever because "that's how we've always done it". poo poo country.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Laura is so poo poo

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

but at least the bananas we don't have are bendy! TWO WORLD WARS AND ONE WORLD CUP ENGERLUND

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

don't know why the thread is so into LSD, they're mostly safely tucked away in Utah