Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Following the established pattern I slept through the new year in the hopes of improving the outcome.

Hello 2021 goons of the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The skynet takeover is going to be much more terrifying than I had thought.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

2021 scotland% run.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Our biochem corpus is far in advance of theirs, as is our electronic sentience. And their ethical inflexibility has allowed us to make progress in areas they refuse to consider. So actually I think it is good that we are using the vaccine against manufactuer guidelines.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

This isn't really relevant to anything but I suspect a few people in this thread will enjoy the novel method of burying and then drowning an entire narrowboat alive I just read about.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/hmtreasury/status/1344961568581308416

Huh an actual good thing happened.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have a letter of marque signed by george galloway and the bishop of durham which entitles me to seize the contents of thy supermarket in the name of queen victoria.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If only he could have known basic evolution whereby diseases change to fit available environments.

The kids who went to school would probably have been able to tell him that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Impressive that a carrot can get british nationality more easily than a person.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I find it difficult to parse the stupid government language but from reading the article I get the impression that if you don't provide documentation about the VAT you're paying then the goods will be stopped at customs, asuming they get checked.

quote:

Compliance arrangements and invoicing

VAT invoicing obligations will apply.

The person liable to account for the VAT will be required to provide the customer with a full VAT invoice at the point of sale - this obligation will fall on either the seller (for sales not facilitated by an OMP) or the OMP, where it is facilitating the sale and so acting as deemed supplier for VAT purposes.

The invoice can be in paper or digital form, but the option to issue a simplified or modified invoice will not apply. Read more information record keeping.

In addition to risk-based checks at the border, HMRC will, as it does now, carry out extensive risk-based compliance activity away from the border using various data sources to identify and tackle non-compliance.

Though how this proposes to ensure that companies actually pay the money to the UK government after billing the customer for it is... not clear. For things like Amazon presumably it would be domestic tax fraud if their accounts didn't match up, though lol @ that being enforced. And for people selling direct or using an online marketplace not registered in the UK... I have no idea?

Presumably if they don't make their records available to HMRC they will no longer be allowed to sell to people in the UK, which obviously is what most of them are doing anyway because it's not worth the hassle.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 2, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mr Phillby posted:

As a big fan of Deep Space 9 I recommend never seeking out footage of Avery Brooks in real life as it will permanantly ruin your perception of Sisco as an incredibly serious military commander.

It will however make the whole wormhole messiah prophet thing make a lot more sense.

My impression of him was always that in-universe he had a massive flair for the theatrical and merely enjoyed pretending to be incredibly serious for dramatic effect.

Sisko is just Garak with different tastes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't remember mega racism in mountains of madness, even if the entire conceit of it is weirdly fashy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dabir posted:

The story of Mountains of Madness might as well be "aliens find the journals of Southern plantation owners documenting the revolution". The Old Ones' writings tell a very good tale of the Shoggoths being bestial and unintelligent and talking in a grotesque parody of their language and all that, but we only have their word for it. Of course, H.P. Sauce's viewpoint character believes it implicitly and is scared shitless by the thought that something non human might still be alive down there.

You certainly can read it that way, though I also think it works in the way he probably intended it. It is entirely reasonable that they did just end up getting eaten by their not-very-intelligent but extremely dangerous beasts of burden because they spent too much time being decadent and not maintaining their glorious empire or whatever. Like I said the conceit is pretty fashy but so was he so it's reasonable to assume he might have meant it exactly as it was written.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Shoggoths came up a lot in his stories and they were invisible and rowdy

Are they invisible? The one with the goatman and the invisble monster is a different thing, I think?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 2, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dabir posted:

My read-through of the Discworlds has got to Unseen Academicals and man is the slip in quality noticeable. I couldn't say what it is, but it's just noticeably worse executed than the ones before. I think I'll leave off with this one, I don't particularly want to experience the rest of his decline and I don't want to get to the one where Granny Weatherwax dies.

I Shall Wear Midnight is still a good one which comes one year afterwards.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would struggle to even define what "british humour" is tbh.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mebh posted:

German humour to be fair is way better.

Also presumably compatible with british humour given the continued popularity of mr bean.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's all just capitalist monoculture to me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Really the whole notion of professionally produced comedy is pointless when people on the internet can do it better. Sack all the comedians and pay people on the internet to post.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also that small issue of the centrists being absolutely loving useless at running a country. To the point that we would be better off with no government than with them in charge.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As far as I understand it, the reason for the multiple vaccine shots is to make sure it actually takes because it can take multiple doses over a period for your immune system to actually "get" what the vaccine is trying to tell it.

So if you don't give enough people enough doses, not enough people will develop immunity enough to stop the disease from being viable within the population (get the R number down and achieve herd immunity)

So I think you can combine vaccination with lockdowns and distancing and that, all of which reduce transmittability by hampering the virus's infection path and removing viable targets from the population. But the big issue with the delayed vaccination plan is if the immunity of the one shot collapses later without the booster, which means you're just wasting vaccines making people only temporarily immune. And also nobody who's had it can actually know if it took because there's no good data on how effective one shot is for the long term, so it's no use to people who are shielding at the moment and there's the risk people will start acting more like pillocks once they've had it.

On the "plus" side if they have any sense they will use the one shot rollout to actually measure the effectiveness so hypothetically we should find out whether it works by the time it... possibly doesn't work.. :v: Assuming of course they don't bury the studies or avoid doing them lest it show them to be loving it up.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 3, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jose posted:

closing schools is overwhelmingly popular with the public so you think even if he wants to ignore the unions that'd be enough but no mass death for everyone

I suspect it may be just that he doesn't want to have "no ifs or buts" quoted back at him because he doesn't have an answer. What matters is having the same opinion, not whether it's a remotely sane one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's always a proud day when someone grows up to become a high level Poster.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have also never stabbed myself in the dick for fun but I am more likely to take this thread's advice on that than I am to voluntarily subject myself to live stand up comedy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Put children's lives on hold, put children's lives in the hospital.

Who can say which is better?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Miftan posted:

Maybe my issue with british comedy is that I don't enjoy 'cringe comedy' where the main character keeps loving up and making stupid cringey mistakes for laughs. I don't enjoy Alan Partridge or a lot of Peep Show for this reason.

I rescind all of my criticisms of your chocolate opinions, we are kindred, comrades, brothers in comedic tastes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

But it's not funny though, you're just watching some prat be a prat and everyone else just knows they're a prat and the camera points at them for too long and at some point this elicits laughter in some people. There is no emotion, you are watching a thing that is not funny, or interesting, it is just there. There is no catharsis or tension like in a horror movie, you might as well watch footage of people walking down the street.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's like someone who enjoys loving a turd say "actually this is very erotic and I highly recommend it" and I'm here like "I do not see why loving a turd is erotic"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

How would kids forget how to use a knife and fork just from being at home for a while unless they're from a culture that doesn't typically use knives and foh it's just more soft racism.

I am a culture that does not typically use knives and forks if I can avoid it. Eating with your fingers is cool and good, if god had not meant for the british to eat with their fingers then he would not have invented the chip butty.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also just as a skill who loving cares? Are kids gonna loving starve if they can't do table etiquette? Is this the thing we need to send the children to the plague camps for to learn loving victorian table manners?

I'm sure you can figure out how to stab things with a fork and shovel them into your craw if and when it is necessary.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

stev posted:

I don't think I ever ate a meal at school that involved a knife and fork. Maybe around Christmas time when everyone had to eat the bad roast?

It would be difficult to eat the mince and gravy without using a spoon, but yeah I can't remember anything that would require a knife or fork, it was all just slop.

Oh and a small lump of pastry that was allegedly a "cobbler" which also did not require utensils because you could probably kill someone with it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How... do you eat curry with chopsticks?

Or your fingers???

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Someone else mentioned sending in section 44 notices so we can but hope! General educational strike hell yes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

My favourite thing about British mystics was how they went to India & Nepal and came back nodding wisely, telling everyone that the left hand is taboo over there, and they are so superstitious they all look at you in horror if they see you eating with it.
That's not a unique thing, that was also the case in britain for a long time because you wiped your arse with your left hand and a combination of poor sanitation and probably weird theological ideas meant you wouldn't use it for other things.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

lmao that their sole policy is "don't call for schools to be closed because keith will look like an idiot"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Perfect Element posted:

It's literally this. Absolutely pathetic.

One of the benefits of Sensible Leadership is that the Leadership defines what is Sensible and it would be Insensible to change their opinion. After all, how would anybody know what is Sensible if they went around changing their opinion?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What... does he think a government of national unity is for..? What does he think it is???

The government already has a majority.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The government is doing whatever it wants to do at every instance, it does not need more MPs to vote for its ideas, it also does not have any significant policy divergence with labour on the subject because labour does nothing but support the government or propose minor adjustments to their policies.

The concept is nonsense, it is meaningless drivel spoken by an idiot who can only repeat phrases he doesn't understand in the hopes that it will appease the gods and bring rains and a good harvest.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Scotland's closed then.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1346097064896307201

https://twitter.com/tpgcolson/status/1346095880454209539

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Although maybe they just have a cultural preference for wind power.

I think you're tilting at windmills.